Water Pressure Reducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphcrud

Hello Guys,
I have read numerous reviews on water pressure devices.  I am a greenhorn and do not understand the necessity of having one of these if you are able to control the flow of water at the tap from your site.  Recently, I forgot to reduce the flow from the tap and flushed the toilet.  It was only flushed to determine if water was flowing -- it was, and water squirted out from under the toilet seat cover.  I then turned the outside tap to only half open, restricting
the flow.  Problem solved.  Right?
What am I missing????

The problem is static pressure.

When you are using the water the valve reduces the speed at which the water in your RV is replaced, so the pressure is lower. But when you shut off the faucets the pressure builds to the max from the source, and can rupture a weak connection in the RV.

An actual in-line pressure reducer is better. The adjustable ones with the dial are recommended.

Stephen is taking about one of these. Camco also makes them so shop around. 
Don't buy the style you get at a RV store. The one's that are 3" long and about 1 1/4" dia. They are junk.

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/rv-water-pressure-regulator

Last winter, there was a guy flushing and pressure testing all the fire hydrants in the park. I asked him what the CG pressure was and he said it was around 85 PSI.  That's real high for a RV. If you just turn the supply valve 1/2 way off, you will restrict the flow to a certain extent but you'll still get the CG pressure when you're not drawing water.

Are you saying the one that you attached from an eBay listing is the junk one or is this the better one?

Murphcrud said:
Are you saying the one that you attached from an eBay listing is the junk one or is this the better one?

No it's the best one. That style is the best because it's adjustable. The junk one's are not.

When I tried that link, it showed quite a few regulators. As I get farther down the page, there's one for$8 and change. That is the junk type. They don't any more than restrict flow. Watts also makes a good regulator, actually they're probably really the best.

Murphcrud said:
Thank you Sir.
Yes you need one to protect your RV. The water preshure can be fine when you hook up but be higher latter.
Nearly every campground contract you sign (that paperwork when you sign into the campground) has a clause that they are not responsible for water damage if you arn't using a preshure regulator. :))
Bill

You can indeed control the flow from the tap but what do you do when there is no FLOW.

ONe campground I stay at the pressure has been MEASURED at over 120 PSI, seen it at another campground as well voer 100 PSI. this kind of pressure can blow past the toilet valve in many RV's. And take the ends off your hose. blew up one of my joses.

Just like the cartoons.

When you are NOT drawing water inside the RV. the pressure goes UP in the hose and lines and things can come apart on you.

So just partially closing the valve is NOT a solution .

Stay away from the cylinder type pressure reducers. even the "high flow" none can do 2 GPM you need for a shower.

My Watts regulator failed (2nd time in two years), so I'm using my backup low cost Camco high flow brass "cylinder" regulator purchased at Walmart years ago. It works fine and maintains a pretty stable pressure with enough flow for a pretty good shower if the park pressure is high enough. To boost the shower pressure a bit when needed though, we just turn on the onboard water pump. I'll rebuild the Watts when I get a "roundtoit".

Here you go Dutch. Now you have no excuse. Get er done!!!!  ;D

https://www.etsy.com/listing/189408066/round-tuit-magnet-you-said-youd-do-it?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=round tuit&ref=sr_gallery-1-2

NY_Dutch said:
My Watts regulator failed (2nd time in two years), so I'm using my backup low cost Camco high flow brass "cylinder" regulator purchased at Walmart years ago. It works fine and maintains a pretty stable pressure with enough flow for a pretty good shower if the park pressure is high enough. To boost the shower pressure a bit when needed though, we just turn on the onboard water pump. I'll rebuild the Watts when I get a "roundtoit".

Here's a "Watts-like" regulator for less money.  I've been using mine for six months; so far so good.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JZTYX/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NY_Dutch said:
i agree with Dutch. I?ve had three adjustable regulators that have failed. Two the company replaced. I had to eat the third one. That?s a lot of money. I went to the Camco preset 40-50psi brass regulator for about $7 and its been working great for over a year. I have a water pressure gauge that I check the pressure with and it?s always between 40 and 50 psi.

Dragginourbedaround said:
i agree with Dutch. I?ve had three adjustable regulators that have failed. Two the company replaced. I had to eat the third one. That?s a lot of money. I went to the Camco preset 40-50psi brass regulator for about $7 and its been working great for over a year. I have a water pressure gauge that I check the pressure with and it?s always between 40 and 50 psi.

Yep, that's where my pressure typically sits as well with the Camco, Gene. The only time I see it go lower is when the park pressure is lower. That's when we turn on the pump for showers...

I use a valterra adjustable, set at 55psi. I haven't had any issues with it. One piece of advice I can give that I learned here, is to make sure that it spends the winter in an area that stays above freezing.

My pressure gauge stopped working, so I use a very scientific method to determine if the regulator is needed. I connect the hose and turn on the spigot. If the end of the hose lifts up off the ground, I insert the regulator. If the hose just lies there, I don't.

NY_Dutch said:
Yep, that's where my pressure typically sits as well with the Camco, Gene. The only time I see it go lower is when the park pressure is lower. That's when we turn on the pump for showers...
Never tried that. Next time we have low pressure (which is rare) I?ll give it a try.  Thanks! :)

HappyWanderer said:
My pressure gauge stopped working, so I use a very scientific method to determine if the regulator is needed. I connect the hose and turn on the spigot. If the end of the hose lifts up off the ground, I insert the regulator. If the hose just lies there, I don't.

That works fine until you visit one park we were in awhile ago. The pressure held pretty steady at 50-60 PSI during the day, but during the night when the county was refilling the water tower next to the park, the pressure would jump up as high as 150 PSI. Fortunately, they had warning signs in the office and at each tap...

HappyWanderer said:
:D

Back
Top Bottom