Rv lingo? Need definition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BikerFlex&HappyJen

We are looking at an rv that has a 2 burner cooktop, microwave and also lists as an additional feature...a ?stove with oven ipo cooktop?.

After viewing this rv, I did not see an ?oven? anywhere. The two burner cooktop and the microwave were obvious. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any idea what this ?stove with an oven ipo cooktop? is exactly?

Thanks for reading my likely dumb question....

?stove with an oven ipo cooktop? Usually would mean that the cook top was replaced in favor of the combo unit. Oven cook top units are common in many units. If it says it has one, it may just be an upgraded version of the original.

Thank you Marty for the reply. I suppose I am confused, as there is no ?oven? to be found. Maybe the terminology is different than I had expected. Hubby was hoping I could make a meatloaf...  ;D

'ipo'  means  'In Place Of '

I really dislike abbreviations just because of this reason.

If the microwave is the convection type you can still do a meatloaf. We don't have an oven but my wife has learned to use the convection feature of the microwave.

Oh excellent! That would be lovely if the microwave was also a convection. I will have to take a better look. We saw a video of someone mentioning something as such and we questioned it. Makes sense. Let?s hope that is the case. Making biscuits for the sausage and gravy would also be a blessing that we enjoy when camping. Happy eaters we are!

We wanted an oven as well.  Not as common in smaller units any longer.  We bought a portable oven, and it works remarkable well.  Fits well in large cabinet where you'd expect the oven, and you can cook outdoors with it.  If it's an occasional want, might consider this option.  If it's a staple to your dinners, find an RV with one.

My wife has went to using a larger toaster oven for any meal that she needs to brown. Convection's are great for baking, but not so much if you have a dish that need to have a crispy exterior.  Easier to store, cheaper to buy, and easier to clean. We also have a convection microwave, but it usually is just used for heating vegetables.

I think "additional feature" may mean it is an available option, i.e. you could order the RV with an oven "in place of" the standard cooktop-only.  It appaers the one you looked at had the standard configuration (cooktop + convection/micro) rather than the over optional feature.

That option is common these days. It provides more galley storage and many people have no need or desire for a propane oven.

We have a convection/microwave.  The convection part works great for baking.  We have a toaster over for browning.  This works for us and have never needed an oven.  It's amazing how hot the convection oven gets, can't think of anything that couldn't be baked in it.  Not so good for browning, like baking garlic bread, but the toaster oven is for that.

Our coach came equipped with both a microwave/convection oven and conventional gas cooktop/oven. We weren't impressed with the convection oven, especially for meats and baked goods where browning was important to both the flavor and visual appeal. We also prefer having the gas oven for broiling when outdoor BBQ'ing is prevented by the weather. When the original Sharp unit was failing, we didn't hesitate to replace it with a Hamilton Beach microwave only unit.

We have both the convection/microwave and a propane range/oven and I use them both, sometimes simultaneously.  I think manufacturers believe no one actually cooks in an RV but I do.  I use the propane oven more when we're boondocking so I don't need to turn on the generator or in the winter when it helps warm the inside of the motorhome (no, we do not use it for heating!) and the convection when we're plugged in or have shorter cooking times.  The convection makes a very nice pork roast and the propane oven does well with casseroles.  It really depends on how hot or cold it is outside, whether we have shore power or generator, and what I feel like cooking.  The propane oven was a special order when we got the motorhome because I would not want to be dependent on just the convection/microwave.  It's really awkward trying to cook several things with just it.

ArdraF

Yesterday we went back to the dealer and did a thorough walkabout of the camper and we literally picked it apart, despite it being brand new. Found some things we made the dealer aware of.

It appears when I was looking at it on the dealer website, the options listed were for the other, almost identical camper, that had already been sold and driven away. There were two almost exactly alike and they must have pulled the wrong one from their website. Easy mistake and no harm done. The two main differences were the convection microwave oven is just a standard microwave and the power jack is a manual jack instead. Hubby originally wanted the power jack, but after we talked it over we remembered a story about a couple getting stuck when their power jack went bad. They couldn?t leave their campsite until it was fixed and it was enough for us to be okay with the manual jack.

We already do have a portable convection oven that will be absolutely suffice for us which is a blessing . It bakes and such so we will just take that with us. Of course we wanted to avoid packing anything unnecessary but I find the option of the oven worth packing it. We also enjoy eating well and healthy so it gives us much more options for food preparation than without.

Many electric tongue jacks come with a manual crank that can be used in case of battery or motor failure. It's also not all that difficult to support the tongue with another jack while unbolting the failed jack for repair or replacement. In fact I just did that a couple of weeks ago for a mother and daughter at a campground when their jack post got bent when another camper hit the back of their trailer backing in his boat trailer. Using their TV's tire jack and a couple of wood blocks to support the tongue, I removed the electric jack and lowered the tongue onto her hitch so she could travel home where her son could handle unhooking it.

That?s good to know Dutch! We were not aware of that. Even so, for them to upgrade to an electric tounge jack will be an additional expense I think we are going to forgo for now. They said it is an easy upgrade, so maybe down the road if hubby decides to do so, we can at that time.

While on the subject, is there any opinionsout there on this and preference on the tongue jack set up? Any pros or cons either way?

I upgraded my manual jack to electric.  Very simple, 3 bolts and a wire to the Battery.  Love the electric jack, and it did come with a handle to manually crank it. should the battery go dead.  Here's the one I bought, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JMHHF9Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back
Top Bottom