Side camera delete

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ghostman

After replying to another post to the usefulness of side cameras as we most agree are useless I wondered if there is a way to delete the activation with turn signal. I would rather always see my tow. I done some research and found cutting wires to cameras to unhooking signal wire. Has any one done this that could add some advice where to look. I am assuming I need to find the signal wire going from unit to the camera. Are these all connected to the dash monitor ( mine is all in one unit radio and gps) or is there another switch box somewhere. I thought about adding a switch to the signal wires to turn on and off instead of just cutting.

When I first got my coach the side view cameras were wired backwards. Turn left signal and the right camera would activate. Right signal, left camera. I got in touch with Dynamax directly who had me chasing rabbit trails looking for a "Video Box". I spent a few hours combing through every lead that Dynamax provided, to no avail. As I sat and pondered where would a video box be located, it occurred to me to look in the "Video Cabinet" lo and behold there it was. Labeled correctly with Cat 5, all I had to do was to switch ports and all worked properly.

I am hoping that by unplugging the left and right cameras from their respective ports that only the Rear View Camera will be left working. I'll know more tomorrow morning.

A few years ago while I was working on another issue, a fellow was doing just what the OP asked for, disabling the side cameras. As I recall he had to clip the signal wires from the directionals after metering the connections at the box to verify which wires were involved.

Ghostman said:
I am going to see if I can follow some wires this afternoon. I will keep you updated.

If you got a manual with installation instructions with the rig or can find one online, it should give you the wire color codes for each connection.

Simply unplugging the cameras probably won't be enough. The logic circuit will most likely still switch on the side camera, but there will be no video feed.

HappyWanderer said:
Simply unplugging the cameras probably won't be enough. The logic circuit will most likely still switch on the side camera, but there will be no video feed.

Yes, that's what I am assuming will happen.

Gotcha Dutch. In my feeble mind, I was just thinking about the signal from the camera to the monitor, not the directional signal to the controller.

I don't know if the monitor in question has a button or menu option for manually selecting cameras, but if so, that would be good reason for leaving the video signals connected with just the automatic switching disabled. The side cameras could be useful when backing into tight quarters.

Wel, I just reviewed the manuals, and there's only one camera input to the head unit. The only menu option is normal or rearview model. Apparently Coachman has a "box" feeding the head unit camera input. An email to Coachman is in order I guess.

Yes I already checked the unit last year. Just never proceeded further. I will look for switch box and see what I find. There is no setting in the menu to disable. Only to change which view is defult. Was going to mess with it today. But it is about 95 here in Illinois and just got done working outside since about 8:30. Will tackle another day. I will keep everyone posted.

I am assuming there is a 12vdc remote signal wire from the turn signal going to switch box for both left and right telling the switch which video signal to send to the monitor. Hopefully just removing that remote 12vdc will stop the switch . Just my theory.

Ghostman said:
I am assuming there is a 12vdc remote signal wire from the turn signal going to switch box for both left and right telling the switch which video signal to send to the monitor. Hopefully just removing that remote 12vdc will stop the switch . Just my theory.

That would be what I expect to see. Once you find the box, it should be fairly easy to isolate the wires using a volt meter while operating the directionals. Just look for the wires that "bounce" the reading in time with the directionals. Disregard the actual volt reading, since your meter may not be able to react fast enough for accuracy. And the actual reading is irrelevant anyway for this purpose.

Hmmm.

Would you then consider wiring a momentary double throw switch or a couple of buttons that would let you select the side cameras independent of the turn signals?

Sure! But I wouldn't use a momentary switch. A standard double throw, center off toggle switch would allow keeping the selected side on during backing, etc., as needed.

I can switch camera views on my head unit. Left ,right,or rear. I may just put a switch on the signal wire. To turn off while driving. I still very seldom ever use them. About the only time I have used is at night while camping to see outside when I have heard something at site.

Ok I got a chance to trace cables today after we got home from camping for the weekend. I have one video cable going into unit as I suspected. It then changes into three. Not at a box just a 3-1 cable. (S video) . I traced the cables looking for the switch box. Looks like it runs around to the side behind my side console. Not worth taking everything apart to find it. Thought maybe I would get lucky and find it in dash.
I did try and unhook one camera cable. It did as I thought. Just disconnected the camera. Still changes with the signal. I did look at wires going up to steering column hoping to find the turn signal feed wires but nothing was labeled. I would have to find the box and cut the switch wires to disable. Maybe some other time.

Back
Top Bottom