Dual vs Single

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

Making the change from class A to a fifth wheel. Ordered Jayco Pinnacle 36ssws need to buy the truck now.  Debating on DRW versus SRW on Chevy 3500HD. With 3000 lb hitch weight, wondering if the dual is needed. Suggestions or recommendations?

Have a look at the door sticker on the truck you want, don't depend on sales brochures. It will give you maximum payload which should be in excess of your pin weight to allow for passengers, the dog, and all your gear.

Db.....The weight that you list is the unloaded weight of the trailer.....are you ever going to just tow it around completely empty....or will you load it up with all your stuff and take it camping?  I know, just a rhetorical question, so here are some better guidelines to follow.

GVWR of the trailer is...16,750!  In order to get an estimate of the approximate pin weight that you will be encountering, you should multiply the GVW (16,750) by 20-22%.  That will give you the following numbers.....3350 lbs to 3685 lbs.  This is an estimate of course, but when figuring for truck size/capacity, it is always better to calculate the heaviest that you can encounter with the trailer.  So let's say 3685 lbs, then add another 200 lbs on it for the 5ver hitch.  That brings you up to 3885 lbs.....might as well say 3900!  Now you are looking at the additional weight to consider......drivers weight (if it's one of the newer truck, as it is usually not included), passenger(s) weight, tools, grill, firewood, etc, etc.  Only you know that answer to that question....one passenger in the truck or maybe several????  Anyway, probably at the minimum you are going to have at least one other passenger with you, so let's say driver and passenger....350-375 lbs.  And even if you are not carrying anything else....tools, firewood, extra fuel, etc, that still puts you at close to 4300 lbs of weight that the truck has to be able to handle.  Not many (if any) SRW trucks with that kind of payload capacity...so this should give you at least an idea as to where to start.....figuring on a minimum of at least 4300 lbs and going on up to ????, depending on what else you add to the weight of the truck.  Remember, anything and everything that goes INTO or ON the truck will be counted against the available payload number for that truck.  And if you didn't or don't know, the payload capacity of the truck will be located on the Driver side door post.....and usually is a sticker that will be white with yellow highlighted numbers.

DRW will give you more stability in storms and winds. I wouldnt pull with anything but. Been there and got caught in big wind storms. Was very thankful I had them.

I had a 3500 SRW, payload was 4,100# payload.  I wouldn?t try to pull the FW you mentioned. Get a dually, you will not regret it.

I'm a Dually person also, but sometimes, the minute that you suggest a Dually for the application, the haters come out in full force and tell you that you'd suggest a Dually for a popup camper.  Then there are the ones that call you.."The Weight Police" because you try to stay within the manufacturer's weight capacities.....All of them!  In this case, (GVWR of 16,750) I would definitely be buying a DRW truck.  As stated above, the stability over a SRW is huge, and then there's that payload thing......like....LOTS of it!.    ;D 

That is a very nice FW, and a heavy one!  X gave a terrific explanation on why you are firmly in dually territory.  I have a SRW F350 with 3500# payload, and I would never consider pulling that big of a FW with it.

Other than towing capacity, any other advantages to the DRW argument?  In this thread talked about it being more stable but I don?t know exactly what is meant by that.

Added, are they much harder to drive without the camper?  Run into issues parking etc?

The easiest way to explain more stable may be this:  If you try to push the truck sideways, like a gust of wind, it is much harder to push 4 tires sideways (dually) than it is to push just two tires sideways.'

While I have never driven a dually, driving down the road should be the same as driving a SRW, just a bit wider and more stable.  Driving in narrow city streets is a bit of a challenge in any large vehicle.  Parking is simple.  Park out on the back 40 and hike to the store!  If you park closer, it is easier to back in and pull out forward than the other way around.  The same is true with a SRW.

Stability:  A dually has more rubber on the road and a wider rear axle stance (the outer tires are further apart than the single tires of an SRW). The value of this difference is hard to put any real measure on, but it surely helps some in extremes, e.g. strong crosswinds.

Downsides: 
1. A dually spreads the weight over 4 tires rather than 2, so each one has less contact pressure and is more likely to skid on wet or slippery surfaces. This can become a factor when carrying only a light or no load.  If driving in winter conditions or on loose soil, adding some weight (sand bags?) in the truck bed helps.
2. The wider wheel stance basically means the truck is several inches wider at the back. Obviously when maneuvering in tight quarters any extra width is a disadvantage. Parking spots too.  It's probably not any wider than the mirrors at the front, though.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Stability:  A dually has more rubber on the road and a wider rear axle stance (the outer tires are further apart than the single tires of an SRW). The value of this difference is hard to put any real measure on, but it surely helps some in extremes, e.g. strong crosswinds.

Downsides: 
1. A dually spreads the weight over 4 tires rather than 2, so each one has less contact pressure and is more likely to skid on wet or slippery surfaces. This can become a factor when carrying only a light or no load.  If driving in winter conditions or on loose soil, adding some weight (sand bags?) in the truck bed helps.
2. The wider wheel stance basically means the truck is several inches wider at the back. Obviously when maneuvering in tight quarters any extra width is a disadvantage. Parking spots too.  It's probably not any wider than the mirrors at the front, though.

100% correct but you get used to it really really quickly

Making the change from class A to a fifth wheel. Ordered Jayco Pinnacle 36ssws need to buy the truck now.  Debating on DRW versus SRW on Chevy 3500HD. With 3000 lb hitch weight, wondering if the dual is needed. Suggestions or recommendations?

There have been good, honest, constructive posts regarding this topic....and your situation specifically!  Do you need a DRW? IMO....No! Your pin weight does not require a DRW. But, having said that....it would likely make your towing experience “slightly” more comfortable! “IF”, the trucks sole purpose is towing....I say, “Go for it”! But, if it’s a multi-purpose vehicle....maybe not! In our case, ours is used for all purposes in all seasons. From summertime to icy conditions, from grocery shopping to a narrow “two-track” road thru the timber when hunting. For us....the dally, wasn’t practical. Our pin-weight far exceeds yours....however we made substantial modifications to “safely” carry the additional weight. So far, this year, we’ve put on 9000 miles of travel....most of it with a 20 (+ or-) K pound 5er.  We’ve experienced most of what “Mother Nature” can through at you,though no ice .....yet!  ;)

3000lb pin is empty weight a Chevy 3500 Ltz duramax short box crew cab has a cargo weight as per yellow decal of about 3800 lbs

So

Add 3000lbs plus loaded with gear you will be about 3400 to 3700lbs on the pin, add hitch 200 lbs gear in the box ie tools etc 200lbs now your over the RECOMMENDED max cargo weight - no the truck wont break per say but its not good

So

Add air bags? Air bags DO NOT change your weight rating PERIOD they do however level the truck making towing better

Been there done that still survived lol a dually is just better at what it does but yes there is the downside like everything

I had an F-350 SRW for years and loved that truck. I started an excavating company with that truck and it spent most of it's life hooked to heavy trailers. When it came time to pull my toy hauler, I didn't hesitate for a second. The truck has handled that much pin weight and overall weight before.

All I can say it that it pulled...differently. I was never comfortable with the way it handled. Needless to say, my next truck was a DRW. The stability is a night and day difference.

As far as parking is concerned, since I've owned a large truck since I got my drivers license, I didn't notice much of a difference at all. In fact, the newer trucks turn so much better than the previous generation that I dare to say it's actually easier to park than my SRW was.

Get the dually. I doubt you'll regret it.

Ive had both sometimes at the same time ( one for the trailer and one for the boat) for towing the dually is the best hands down its just that much more stable and the payload doesntmake a dent. For driving without a trailer the dually in also more comfortable than  a short box 1 ton because of the longer wheelbase.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom