Quartzsite Boondocking Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sc4668

The wife and I are planning on going to Quartzsite Mid Dec to end of Jan just to see how we like it and how we like Boondocking. Any suggestion on where to stay. How about safety, theft from campsite. We want to enjoy the are and meet new friends.

Looking at the BLM sites that I have read about. Coming from Pahrump NV 75 miles south west of Las Vegas. Do not mind crowds as long as they are respectful. Only Boondocking we have done is a week at a time at the race track when we were racing, then on to the next race.

Long Term Visitor Areas, LTVAs are pay sites that include water and dump stations.  Two passes are available.  One for up to 14 days, $40.00.  The other for up to 7 months, $180.00.  There are also non-LTVAs which are treated like typical BLM areas.  Those areas do not have dump stations or water and you will have to pay for those service.  There are several places in the town.  On regular BLM sites, camping is permitted for up to 14 days at one location.  After 14 days, you are supposed to move to another location.  Don't recall how far away you're supposed to move and don't know how closely the limitation is monitored.  Others will chime in regarding this and hopefully correct me if I have misstated. 

Quartzsite is located at the junction of I10 and Az 95 in Arizona, about 40 miles east of the California border.  As you approach Quartzsite from any direction, you will see RVers camped along the highways.  There are many others beyond the hills.  There are access roads at various points.  There will be signs at sites where a fee is applicable. 

Go here:  https://www.campendium.com/arizona/quartzsite  and click on "catagory" = "public lands" and "price" = "free".  You will see balloons on a map.  Click on the balloons and it will bring up more info, including GPS coordinates.  Take the GPS coordinates and put them into Google Earth, Google Maps, or Bing Maps and select the satellite view.  Also on some of the gravel roads you may be able to select a ground level photo you can pan 360 degrees.  We stayed at King Road (south of I-10 about 20 miles on US-95) for a few days last January and it was very nice.  You won't be alone, but you can find spots you are a few hundred yards away for others. 

The next Quartzsite RV Show will be January 19 - 27, 2019 and many of us will be camped south of town at the La Posa West area we generally call 541 which is the number of the dirt road leading into our site.  You're always welcome to join us and it's a wonderful way to meet RV Forum members.  It's fun to put faces to the names you've been seeing!

ArdraF

We will definitely take you up on that. When the time gets closer we can finalize plans. Thanks for the invite.

It?s actually La Posa Tyson Wash where the Forum group gathers. We would love to see you there in January. 

Start out with full water and empty waste tanks, and begin by boondocking either in the Plomosa Rd. or Hi Jolly 14 day free areas north of Quartzsite.

Then take a few days to scope out the area and get a feel for whether or not you like to boondock before buying a 14 day or seasonal LTVA pass.

Water and dump are available (for a price) in town, trash can be dropped off free at the Transfer Station on Hwy 95 north of town.

LTVA passes are good at all of the LTVAs, you aren't restricted to staying in just one for the duration.  Besides Quartzsite, there are LTVAs in the Yuma area, including one just west of the Algodones exit if you're planning to go there for dental needs or prescriptions.  And near El Centro and Blythe in CA.

You can enter the LTVAs during the day in your tow car or truck but you need the pass to stay overnight or use the facilities (water, trash, dump).

The free areas are the same as the LTVAs, except for access to water, dump and trash.

Theft is rarely a concern, but don't leave valuables like generators, etc. lying around when you aren't there, even if they're chained down.  Chains can be quickly cut.  Just follow common sense rules like you would in any campground.

And be sure to join us in the La Posa Tyson Wash LTVA in January!

Thanks for the name corrections.  As they say, haste makes waste - and I was in a hurry!

ArdraF

We have been going to La Posa Tyson Wash for the last 3 yrs we meet up with the folks who are posting here, What a great bunch of people like ArdaraF and UTclmjmpr also Wendy who always welcome new comers Its really a great place to get the hang of boondocking. Hope you can make iy out there

Hope you all don't mind if I throw in a question about Quartzsite... I've not been there yet, but it is on my bucket list when I retire in 19 months, and obviously this is group knows the territory!

Do any people boondock with a Class A diesel pusher? We've started looking for a rig to full-time in for a couple of years and I want to be able to boondock as well as stay in more traditional camp grounds.

Thanks,
Pete

Do any people boondock with a Class A diesel pusher?

Absolutely!  We have a 40' Monaco DP plus Jeep and will be at Quartzsite for a week.  You'll see every kind of RV you can imagine as well as every accessory you can imagine.  Some people stay out in the desert all winter and have a bunch of solar panels, a windmill, you name it!  It's a kick just to drive around and see how some of the people set up for long desert stays.  Our RV Forum group ranges from small travel trailers to fifth wheels to gas Class Cs to the largest diesel Class As.  You should be able to boondock just fine.  The RV Forum rally at Quartzsite is a great place for new owners because you have a lot of expert knowledge available for the asking.

ArdraF

Thank you ArdraF! That is very encouraging because I really want to find the right Class A DP for what we want to do... and that includes boondocking. :)

Pete

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom