Roof Air Only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Essgee1952

Our basement air isn't cooling and we can't get in to service until after the trip we have scheduled for tomorrow. Will there be any problem in running the roof air full blast to get us through this trip? I seem to recall reading somewhere about the possibility of it freezing up.

Sorry, I'm a little frazzled. It's a 2010 Itasca Suncruiser that we bought used and it was there when we bought it. But I can't find any reference to it in any of the manuals. We have used it just as an added boost when it's super hot and humid as we are in GA.

Since the majority of RV's on the road only have roof air (and it's been that way for several decades) I think you'll be fine. ;) The weather conditions and amount of time the compressor runs are the biggest factors in A/C performance, so you'll know what to expect after this weekend.

Some things to do (most are obvious):

1.  Run unit on "High Fan" if there is a choice *
2.  Keep the filter clean, clean, clean (to maximize air flow)*
3.  Start the A/C early in the day..... don't wait for heat to build up
4.  When camped, put the outside windshield cover on ...... if you have one

Other: 1. Some folks cut bubble wrap (or similar material) to friction fit in (a) the
              windows and (b) the shower skylight.
            2. Some folks put pillows in the 14X14 ceiling vent openings
            3. If you are not camped near others, you could idle the engine to use dash air
                to help the rooftop unit ...... say until bedtime (I installed a switch to silence my
                leveling jack alarm to do this ..... without that feature, one could level later in
                the evening after cool down if you have a hyd leveling system)

* (1) and (2) should prevent evaporator freeze-up even in humid environments.  If a
  freeze-up does occur, run the unit on hi fan only (no "Cool") for (approx) 30 minutes to 
    melt the ice.

Hopefully others will chime in with their ideas/experience.  Like Scotty says, you will know a lot more after the weekend.

Safe travels ........................ ed s

Okay, I deciphered the situation. The 2010 Suncruiser came only with basement air, roof air was not an option. Which leads me back to my original question - do you want to add roof air? Several of us have added roof air, including me.

Whether an a/c will "freeze up" or not doesn't depend on the location, e.g. roof vs basement or even a window a/c unit.  It's entirely a matter of airflow, interior and exterior, and the relative humidity.  Rooftop a/c systems are no more (or less) prone to freeze-up than any other. So go ahead and run it as needed.

Since your roof is clearly an aftermarket add-on, it's impossible to guess how vulnerable the installation may be to freeze-up. Only time - and weather conditions - will tell.

Back
Top Bottom