2019 Price increases

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Sales woman's statement last week:

"When the 2019 models come out in September they'll be 20 to 30 per cent more expensive due to the new tariffs".

Now, obviously a sales person wouldn't just make this stuff up, right???  ::)

jymbee said:

That can be classified as fake news.  Most of the cost of the RVs are labor.  Very minimal costs are steel and aluminum.  Carpet is made in the USA.

Maybe a 5% jump, to keep pace with inflation.  If they go up 20%+, the RV guys are 100% out of business.

Besides, most of the 2019 models are now being built and with parts 1-2 years old.

jymbee said:

Never believe anything told you by a salesperson. They would lie to their own mother to sell a rig.

Do not believe a sales person all they want to do is make a sale and get their commission. If a salespersons mouth is moving they are lying. As stated above most of the cost of a RV is labor.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
In this case, more likely sheer ignorance rather than lies, but the net result is the same.  :)(

I think you're probably right. We seem to get sales people that are relatively new and I guess in their defense they're probably told explicit "talking points" to focus on during their sales spiel. But in too many cases it seems like we actually have to inform a sales person about specifics we've learned from our research that they're unaware of. Obviously they do have a lot of different models at the larger dealers and one can't be expected to know everything, but c'mon-- they should have a firm grasp of the basics I'd think.

Nah, sales people never lie to the customer, like the time the sales guy told the customer that he could easily tow that 40-foot rig with his F-150  :-X

However, I would not doubt that the industry would use the tariffs as an excuse to raise prices. After all, when the price of oil threatens to go up, gas prices immediately soar, and when the oil prices drop, it takes a looooooong time for prices to come down slightly.

I would guess this is what she has been told by her "People" and she is just passing on "information" or dis-information.

HOWEVER I have noticed this.. Back in oh about 1967 Most companies operated with a standard mark up (2.5 or 250%) that is if it cost them 1.00 in materials, labor and tax. it cost you 2.50. The 1.50 they marked it up covered administrative costs. Building Rent or taxes and things of this stuff.  This was fairly common across many if not most companies.

But in the 70s' we had the "Oil Crisis" where the Saudi's who supply less than 10% of our Oil started raising prices.. The oil companies responded by Jacking the price of gas at a rate never before seen.. Basically they increased the price even faster than the Saudi's did and remember they only provide a small (less than 10%) of our oil most comes from either domestic or Canada.  But oh the lovely profit.

Today many companies jump on any excuse to jack up the profits..  So it is entierly possible that RV makers will do that. Citing Trump's tarriffs even if it is really nothing more than corporate greed.. It is also possible not all of them will do this. There are a couple of decent customer loving CEO's out there in the RV world. (I will not name either kind.. for one thing I don't know all of 'em that well).

The moral of this post.... We won't know till it happens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom