1999 Brave with V10 cylinders 6-10 primary/secondary coil pack faults

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atlee24

Check engine light came on when we moved the RV to get ready for a road trip.  Replaced all coils and plugs but still getting codes. Not skipping but doesn't want to go. Wires seem to be good with no apparent damage.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Have you identified the specific code(s)?    There are dozens of part you could throw at it and still not address the problem, so it pays to start with the reported fault and not just fix things that may or may not be broken.

Thank you so much... we are heading to check out the suggestions mentioned.

Since the problem is reported as cyl. 6-10, I would suspect a PCM problem. If the RV has been sitting for a while, there may be some corrosion on a plug affecting either the supply voltage or ground. Try disconnecting the PCM and reconnecting.

Wiring looks good.  Going to check pcm and then catalytic converters.  Thanks again for all of the tips. We are supposed to leave on Friday going up the east coast and wI was at my wits end. I will keep you posted on what I find.

Atlee24 said:
Wiring looks good.  Going to check pcm and then catalytic converters.  Thanks again for all of the tips. We are supposed to leave on Friday going up the east coast and wI was at my wits end. I will keep you posted on what I find.
Be sure to check for chewed wiring on the catalytic converter and the PCM. Them little critters can sure do some damage sometimes.

Ok.. took it in and the PCM was bad. PCM is obsolete  so they put in one that has more functions so the check engine light will stay on... going to check with the Ford dealership when we get back from our trip about flashing it with my vin number. Thanks for all of the support here. Safe travels everyone.

PCM's are drying up for older Jeeps as well, there are some places that supposedly "rebuild" them but all of the electronics are potted so I don't see how they could possibly be fixed.

John Canfield said:
PCM's are drying up for older Jeeps as well, there are some places that supposedly "rebuild" them but all of the electronics are potted so I don't see how they could possibly be fixed.
Potted electronics can be repaired. While in the Navy, we had lots of potted electronics which we often would dig out the potting material and replace a defective component. The trick was to know how to troubleshoot down to the bad component as closely as possible and then using a good component lay-out diagram, dig out just the area suspected. Sure, sometimes it wasn't so easy, but we did it just the same, when replacement parts might be thousands of miles away but the Viet Cong were not waiting for our supplies to arrive. Point being, with enough demand, potted components will be repaired - or new 3rd party ones built.

Back
Top Bottom