Why ST or LT on dolly??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

So we just got back from New England and on the way I saw a travel trailer swaying in the wind.  So I get why they need tires that can withstand the side loads that are applied.  From my viewpoint I could see that the tires were getting a heck of a workout.

My question is why can?t I put car tires on my dolly which hauls my Honda sedan?  After all it really just holds the front wheels up in the air (and brakes).  The rear tires are just the car?s tires.  I would guess it has less lateral force on it that if I was driving the car but that is just an uneducated guess.

Any thoughts?? 

P tires work great on small trailers /car dolly as long as they meet the capacity.
Cooler running....less rolling resistance......no speed restrictions
I use them on all my smaller tandem and single axle trailers.

ST and LT come in load C on up to G and H load ranges and are best suited carrying heavy loads.

It is your dolly, you can put whatever tires on it you want. If it were mine I would go with the type the dolly manufacturers recommended.

Others have their pet theories about why this or that tire is best. I go with what the dolly designer suggests.

My question is why can?t I put car tires on my dolly which hauls my Honda sedan?
Who says you cannot?

I see no reason why you cannot use P, ST or LT types as long as the weight rating of the tire is within the load requirements. Dollies are not subject to any unusual degree of side loads and not very likely to sway either.
You may find that ST or LT type tires are more likely to have the load capacity (load range or ply-rating) that is needed, but that's doesn't mean they are the only type that can be used.

Back
Top Bottom