Why Are Large Eggs Small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Same marketing firm as Starbucks, try to order a small coffee. And who wants a small coffee, or small egg for that matter? They'd have to lower the price!  ::)

You will know you got a small egg when you get one at a restaurant. A couple of years back our local restaurant had trouble getting anything other that small eggs, they would still serve them up at the same price without an explanation.  I stopped going there for almost a year because it looked like they were just trying to milk us.

catblaster said:
  You will know you got a small egg when you get one at a restaurant. A couple of years back our local restaurant had trouble getting anything other that small eggs, they would still serve them up at the same price without an explanation.  I stopped going there for almost a year because it looked like they were just trying to milk us.
How on earth were they milking an egg??

Great Horned Owl said:
I never thought about it before, but eggs come in Large, Extra-Large, and Jumbo. That means that large eggs are actually as small as they come.

Joel

Not as small as they come, but as small as you can buy commercially, I guess.  We get our eggs fresh from two different ladies that have free-range chickens.  One of the ladies has very young chickens and the eggs we get from her chickens are very small -smaller than you'd ever see in a grocery store.  The other lady has more mature chickens and the eggs we get from her chickens are very large -larger than the largest eggs you can buy in the store.

The size we get doesn't bother us either way, we like the bright orange yolk and very thick whites of the delicious farm-fresh eggs.  AND, we pay our "egg ladies" less than we'd pay in the store.  We won't even buy store bought eggs any more unless we have to.

HappyWanderer said:
The same reason you won't find a "small" condom.

This isn't making me feel too good about the "large" package I bought  :-[

It does seem to me that "large" eggs aren't as large as "large" eggs used to be.  :eek:

Eggs are sized by their weight not physical size. I don't know if the standards have changed over the years, but they used to be set by the government (if you're selling eggs commercially).

When I used to work at my Aunt & Uncle's egg farm, when the eggs came out of the washer they went across a series of scales. Jumbo, extra large, large, medium and small, in that order. If the egg tripped the first scale a little arm bumped the egg into the jumbo area and so on.

Here is a video. It shows how the machine works. The one I used was fed from the washer. You didn't have to put the eggs on the scale.

More info than you wanted to know.

Lou Schneider said:
Go into Starbucks and try asking for a small cup of coffee.  Won't happen.

Why didn?t I come up with that line? Oh wait.....  ;) ;D

You used to be able to buy SMALL and MEDIUM long ago but what they did is instead of raising the price on small and medium they just re-named them large and Extra Large and added the JUMBO which is the LARGE of 50 years ago.

Just like the candy bars of my youth were much larger than today's.  And cost less.

Yeah, I never thought about it before, but I've never seen "small" eggs in the store.  Only medium, large and either extra large.  So if that's all they sell, why don't they just say small, medium and large.  If there's no such thing as small (for purposes of supermarket retail), why start at medium?  It's like all the fast food joints now.  There's no such thing as a small drink.  It's regular, large or ridiculous! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom