Why Are Large Eggs Small?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John From Detroit said:
You used to be able to buy SMALL and MEDIUM long ago but what they did is instead of raising the price on small and medium they just re-named them large and Extra Large and added the JUMBO which is the LARGE of 50 years ago.

Just like the candy bars of my youth were much larger than today's.  And cost less.

John, your signature line cracks me up every time I read it.  :))

In the food industry Shrimp are sold by size range as well, Jumbo is a marketing term that restaurants came up with.  In the trade Shrimp are sold by number of shrimp to the pound, with the largest 3 common sizes (16-20, 21-25, 26-30) often being sold as Jumbo shrimp to the public.  The same applies to to "popcorn" shrimp which is often  110-130 to 150-up

I have had this same gripe about pizza restaurants.  They typically sell a "medium", "large" and "extra large" pizza, but no "small" pizza.  If there is no "small", then what is a "medium" in the middle of?
I have yard chickens for eggs on my farm. They lay a variety of sizes and (shell) colors of eggs.  Occasionally, after a bird has molted and started laying again, it will lay a "fart" egg, which is about the size of a marble.  If they miss a day, they can sometimes lay a huge double yolk egg.  Those are my favorites to boil!

gravesdiesel said:
I have had this same gripe about pizza restaurants.  They typically sell a "medium", "large" and "extra large" pizza, but no "small" pizza.  If there is no "small", then what is a "medium" in the middle of?
I think Pizza Hut may have started using the description of "personal" [pan] pizza a zillion years ago but over the past 10 years or so many pizza joints around us now have a "personal" rather than "small". I guess it sounds tastier.

gravesdiesel said:
I have yard chickens for eggs on my farm. They lay a variety of sizes and (shell) colors of eggs.  Occasionally, after a bird has molted and started laying again, it will lay a "fart" egg, which is about the size of a marble.  If they miss a day, they can sometimes lay a huge double yolk egg.  Those are my favorites to boil!

Mmmmm double yolk!  I've had the privilege a few times.  It's always a nice surprise.

FenderP said:
Mmmmm double yolk!  I've had the privilege a few times.  It's always a nice surprise.

Last mothers day, my DW purchased a dozen eggs and everyone of them had double yokes.

Joezeppy said:
I think Pizza Hut may have started using the description of "personal" [pan] pizza a zillion years ago but over the past 10 years or so many pizza joints around us now have a "personal" rather than "small". I guess it sounds tastier.

Not tastier...trendier. 

Great Horned Owl said:
I never thought about it before, but eggs come in Large, Extra-Large, and Jumbo. That means that large eggs are actually as small as they come.

Joel
Having grown up near an egg farm I recall that when they gradedeggs there were a few grades smaller than large with smallest called "pee-wee" which looked about the size of a quail egg.  The smallest that the supermarket sells is large. My guess is that smaller sizes are sold bulk to bakeries.

FenderP said:
Not as small as they come, but as small as you can buy commercially, I guess.  We get our eggs fresh from two different ladies that have free-range chickens.  One of the ladies has very young chickens and the eggs we get from her chickens are very small -smaller than you'd ever see in a grocery store.  The other lady has more mature chickens and the eggs we get from her chickens are very large -larger than the largest eggs you can buy in the store.

The size we get doesn't bother us either way, we like the bright orange yolk and very thick whites of the delicious farm-fresh eggs.  AND, we pay our "egg ladies" less than we'd pay in the store.  We won't even buy store bought eggs any more unless we have to.

Very young, under one year old, female chickens are called pullets. Pullets do lay small eggs but the yolks are usually the same size as the ones from a mature chicken. You get less albumen.

Oldgator73 said:
Very young, under one year old, female chickens are called pullets. Pullets do lay small eggs but the yolks are usually the same size as the ones from a mature chicken. You get less albumen.

Yeah, 'swhat I said.  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom