Anyone interested in having a new category matching up people who want to share

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evagoblog

an RV?  There is a site for cruise ship to seek cabinmates ironically the owner of that site quit so no new stories but the forum with that topic still exists and is pretty active with postings.  I know there are differences as one owns an RV and not a cruise ship cabin so it's more personal (and more likely that people who have RVS like Garbo, VANT (sic) to be left alone, but the owner of the RV can always ask the guest to leave and most importantly, the owner can not only share costs of gas and sites (or be able to make money on sites where they usually want the hosts to be couples) but have companionship (mentioned in my introduction why this than just solo clubs and rallies) as it's nice to have someone to talk to on very long drives (hmm remember CB craze, guess they died out with cells) and to be able to split the driving if the owner doesn't mind others driving the rig. Unlike other RV sites that refuse to do this (liability issues?  Have shared cruise cabins with men with no problems, although one Italian (natch) was open to being amorous but when I put the kibosh on that he was respectful, again a little different that cruises as you are alone, but have faith in peoplekind through experiences (have been crewing on yachts and did share once on an RV and though there were men who hoped for a romantic relationship nice to know in my old age I am still so appealing  ;D they respected my wishes). The admin. here very nicely is open to that idea if enough people express interest.  Anyone with (hopefully) positive ideas post here and if you are interested I have an intro on the New to Site thread titled "Footloose and Fancy Free" and if you want to keep your contact info private, contact me through the private messaging here.

No dating sites don't work, hard to find someone who wants to travel in a RV long term, one RV dating asks a lot of personal questions before you can take a look at who the members are, most travel matching sites are geared for the young, joined a Facebook group for dating people on an RV, most posts are by women who want to meet other (straight I think women), forums on travel, Frommers, Lonely Planet Thorntree, has roadtrips but not searching for RV partner, there was a great site called Roaming Times that had classified ads where people posted ads, but it was sold to a commercial entity where they no longer have it, I may have to start my own or write to them and ask if I can moderate it.

I'll observe that the majority of RVs are laid out for two people sharing a bed, which makes traveling together somewhat more personal than a ship cabin with bunks or even a motel room (two beds).

That said, we do get the occasional inquiry here about traveling partners, and might get more if we offered an "RV Companion" board. However, we already have a lot of topic-specific boards and yet another might get lost in the crowd. A dedicated website would be more effective for those seeking a travel companion. I think there are such places already, e.g. Travel Companion Exchange

Some other ideas about how to fill this need can be found at:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/roadwarriorvoices/2015/06/27/travel-buddy-apps-platforms/83311748/
https://www.silversurfers.com/best-of-the-web/travel-best-of-the-web/50-tired-travelling-solo-find-holiday-companions/
https://www.misstravel.com/how-it-works?ref=goo~212564318_16135613438_travelbuddy

[quote author=Gary RV_Wizard]we already have a lot of topic-specific boards and yet another might get lost in the crowd.[/quote]
I doubt it. But we wouldn't open a new board unless the message traffic/potential traffic merited it.

Thank you Gary RV, those are useful suggestions and will follow them, (nice to have someone actually giving me useful info) instead of commenting why I should NOT be doing this!

Following this discussion has made me think. First of all I hope that the OP gets lucky, so to speak, and finds that friend willing to share life in close proximity. I travel solo 95% of the time, my wife does not enjoy my passion for traveling, and has opted instead to be nanny to our grandchildren.

For me, I wouldn't want to share my motor home with a person who I did not have a special relationship. Being married solves that issue for me, but if I ever became single, I don't think I would ever even consider a K9 companion.

To the OP, I hope you find what you are seeking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom