Why so cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

breezie

Is that a blown-out suspension airbag in photo #16?

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2000-monaco-dynasty_rv-39359

Actually, that price is a bit high.  NADA shows average retail for that model is $12k-15k.

Why so cheap?  No slideout.  No one wants a non-slideout motorhome.

breezie said:
Is that a blown-out suspension airbag in photo #16?

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2000-monaco-dynasty_rv-39359
Alternator. 

A good thing about PPL, they don't try to hide things when they take pictures.  I have seen lots of the photos showing scratches, dents, rust, etc.

And yes, when you browse through the RV's they have on the lot, you do find some that are pretty junky.  However you are free to browse at your pace w/o a sales person directing what you should look at.

Lou Schneider said:
Actually, that price is a bit high.  NADA shows average retail for that model is $12k-15k.

Why so cheap?  No slideout.  No one wants a non-slideout motorhome.

X2.
18 year old MH with no slides.... not worth 12K to me.

NADA RV prices are largely meaningless after 12-15 years. They keep depreciating values long after age has lost meaning and only condition is relevant. A Monaco Dynasty is a very nice coach and a clean and functioning DP is probably worth $18k-$20k at most any age. If it had a slide, it would be worth an additional $5k.

I  know it's hard for most of us to credit, but there are buyers who prefer a coach with no slides.  Maybe it's a minimalist thing, or maybe they are Luddites, but they are out there shopping (at the right price, of course).

Hey, I am one of those no slides, and don't want one people.  I can see the appeal of slides, and I don't discount the possibility of owning a coach with slides at some point, however with they style of travel I currently tend to do, rarely staying in the same place for more than 2 or 3 nights not having to deal with slides is just one less hassle.  Also with many slide coach floorplans the only thing one gets with the slides out is more floor space, which means much of the time they are not accessible with the slides in.  Sure there are some layouts where the slides don't interfere with living space, but those are few.

Isaac-1 said:
not having to deal with slides is just one less hassle. 

Well, I do have to push a button to level the coach, then I push a button and the slides go out, push the same button and the slides retract. What's the hassle?

I also have a coach that is 100% accessible when the slides are in. A little tight in one area but fully usable.

when I am parked I have real space to stretch out in. I am a proponent of slides, as you can see.

The hassle is when the slide topper gets pinched in above the slide like what happened to my neighbor when leaving the FMCA regional rally last fall, or when slides fail to retract for any number of other reasons, or worse yet fail to stop extending and falls out the side of a coach.  In addition to this most of the slide layouts I have seen have other detractors, most layouts with living room slides block the driver into a more confined space, and limit the drivers ability to look back over their shoulder (left or right) which can be very helpful when merging at an odd angle beyond the angle view of the mirrors.  Slides detract from the ability to access cargo compartments, they add considerable weight to a chassis, and therefore may reduce cargo carrying capacity.  Then there are the lyouts where slides must be extended to effectively use the coach (ie those where the main bed mattress folds over while the slides are in, etc.) this decrease the number of potential available camp sites, particularly in older campgrounds, and even may prevent pulling off on a travel day to fix lunch in a rest area.  In addition to all this there is the added leak potential with a slide, as well as required maintenance of seals, etc..

Now sure there are some slide layouts where the above criticism are minimized, there are some that are innovative in ways where they add more than just floor space when extended through the use of nesting counter tops or seating areas, unfortunately those are the exception and the the rule.  In the end it is a trade off, and for some people the benefit of the extra space slides provide is the right choice, but that does not mean it is the right choice for everyone.

We could function with slides in but we would quickly get tired of bumping into each other.  Yes, they will have issues(currently need to replace slide topper fabric) but nobody gets an rv to save time and money.  Lol.  Fortunately,husband is pretty handy.

In the three coaches (1 gas, 2 DP) with slides that I've had, not one matches your criticism.
The hassle is when the slide topper gets pinched in above the slide like what happened to my neighbor when leaving the FMCA regional rally last fall, or when slides fail to retract for any number of other reasons, or worse yet fail to stop extending and falls out the side of a coach.
I had one slide that once failed to extend, due to a broken shear pin. But there are manual means of retraction if it happens when extended. As to falling out the side of the coach? Wow! I don't think the mechanism in any of the three would push them that far. And there are locks both retracted and extended.
limit the drivers ability to look back over their shoulder (left or right)
The slides aren't the limitation there, for any of the three -- it's the height of the coach and the window location, not to mention that the rear view mirrors give me a better view than I can get in a car or pickup, even looking over my shoulder. Add in the rear view camera...
Then there are the lyouts where slides must be extended to effectively use the coach
None of my three had that problem, though it gets snug in some spots.
may prevent pulling off on a travel day to fix lunch in a rest area
None of my three has had that limitation because of slides, though coach length sometimes intrudes.
Slides detract from the ability to access cargo compartments, they add considerable weight to a chassis, and therefore may reduce cargo carrying capacity.
With the slides deployed some cargo compartments are more awkward to access, but far from inaccessible -- but with the slides retracted there is no problem at all. And all three have more cargo capacity than I can use, in terms of weight. Once in a while I can't fit something in, but that's not the fault of the slides.

If you don't want slides, that's fine, but don't knock them for the wrong reasons.

Larry, it sounds like slides work for you, that is fine, I have not spent the time to investigated the layouts of all the coaches you have owned, and I admit window placement does play a role in the ability of a driver to look back over their shoulder, but so does having a slide side wall directly behind the drivers seat.    As to my criticisms of the mechanical function, I have seen in person instances of slides failing to retract that required some effort beyond using a manual crank to retract, as noted with the caught slide toper above.    I have seen and heard of numerous account of  water leaks and associate wood damage directly related to slides and slide seals.      Earlier this year I met a man in a camp ground who had experienced a slide malfunction pushing the slide all the way out of his upper name brand diesel pusher (he showed me photos on his smart phone), as  I recall he said the micro switches that should have detected it reaching its limit failed and the motor pushed through the mechanical stops.  I honestly don't remember the brand, but do recall it was one of generally considered better brands.

Looking at the floor plan of your current coach it appears that it falls into the category of gaining only open floor space, while still being mostly / fully functional with the slides in, which is better than some, like the ones I mentioned above with folded mattresses when the slides are in.    This still leaves access to cargo compartments while the slides are out, accessibility is a personal thing, I have a bad back (fell and broke L2 in 2010) and to me the idea of crawling under a slide to get to a cargo compartment does not appeal.

Isaac, I had the impression that you were saying that slides weren't good, period, thus my response, but if I misunderstood, then I offer my apologies. There are lots of things I could say knocking a lot of different features or things such as GPS, TPMS and generators and more, but the good sides of most of those (including slides, for me) far outweigh the bad.

So both sides of a thing need to be understood when making choices, then choose a coach/trailer/whatever that best meets your view of what works for you. If no slides is your way, that's fine, but I think we need to be careful how we explain our preferences/outlook/evaluations.

Larry, I agree complete, my point initially was meant to be that the common attitude that slides are always better / preferred is not always valid, that there are trade offs each way extending beyond the issue of cost.  As a personal matter I have seen a few slide layouts or at least ones that include concepts that I would consider buying.  For example I can see the appeal of a rear slide on the Thor Axis 25.2, though don't care for other aspects of the floorplan / design though I would be concerned about weight distribution, and other engineering choices of a rear slide.  I can also see the appeal of the full length double slide 45 ft diesel pusher for the shear internal space, though such a coach does not fit with my personal travel style of going to out of the way places.

Ike

There definitely are tradeoffs whenever something is added beyond the absolute necessities.  Heck, a 3-bedroom house is more likely to have additional repairs vs a one bedroom.  More roof, more windows, more heat/ac ducting, probably an extra bath or two, and so on.  Nothing extra comes without some price to pay, up-front, long term, or both.

Slides get a bad rep cause nobody ever writes "I put the slide out today and all worked fine".  But if negative internet reports were all that mattered, you might also check out how many water heater problems appear every day.  Fridge and furnace complaints as well...

Ahhhhhhhhhh.
I was so busy looking at all the other details I didn't notice there were no slides.
My thinking on slides is that if i'm just going away for a weekend or even a week I could get by without them. But if I plan on traveling for months at a time with multiple people and two big dogs, that extra space could be essential to avoid criminal charges.

Slides rock!

Ernie

And my mh is fully functional with them in (except for two drawers which are functional if the full body slide is out)!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom