Why so cheap?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might be surprised how long a week can be if you are rained in with other people,two big dogs and no slide!  Even if you love them all.

We had several no-slide RV's we liked quite well before my wife found our current single super slide coach and convinced me to buy it despite my arguments against it citing many of the above problems. Somewhere during the second week living in it, I finally confessed to my wife how much I really liked the additional space, and the expected setup hassles just hadn't materialized. As well, our coach is fully accessible with the slide in. As Larry said, it's all push button. Typically, we pull or back into a new site and shut off the engine. I push a button to start the auto-level jack system and head outside to hook up the power, etc., and as soon as the leveling is done, my wife pushes the button to extend the slide. We've never had any significant problems with the slide mechanism or the topper with this now 17 year old rig, although I may replace the topper material this summer since it's getting a little worn at the seams. I did have to replace the slide switch a few years ago. It was still working, but getting hard to operate. That took all of $12 and 15 minutes...

Gary, I put the slide out today and all worked fine. We are in Chapman KS today and the wind is blowing pretty hard. Saw and talked to a couple people who came in with damage/problems with their awning. So I may have to do away with my awning because it might be a problem some day. ;)
The funniest comment is the one about buying a little RV so you can get into some small campground. Where is this and why would you stay there? There would be nothing sadder than the person who bought the perfect tiny camper to fit the tiny campground and find out that there is no room when they get there.
Bill

Some years ago, we had both a small 21' Class C and a 33' Class A at the same time. The Class C was handy for weekend trips into a little secluded spot at a paper company tree farm in the Adirondacks until the road crew made some improvements and we could get in with the Class A.

Attachments

• 080828_162244.jpg
    080828_162244.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 13
Yes but did you buy the small "C" just so you could go to that one spot? Last year I was in over 35+ different campgrounds and NEVER had a problem with the size of my coach.
Bill 

WILDEBILL308 said:
Yes but did you buy the small "C" just so you could go to that one spot? Last year I was in over 35+ different campgrounds and NEVER had a problem with the size of my coach.
Bill 

We've only been in 21 different campgrounds so far this year, and while we've certainly been in parks with some sites our current 34' coach wouldn't fit into, we've never chosen or been assigned to one of those sites. Our tree farm site is not a campground, just a remote forest location we have an access permit for with typical rough logging roads on the way in.

And no, we had the 'C' first and used it in many places for several years before we moved up to the 'A'. We just hung on to the 'C' for awhile to use at the tree farm and for a few other short trips after we got the 'A'. When the tree farm road was improved, we really couldn't justify keeping it any longer. It was nice getting 15-18 MPG while we had it though!  ;D

WILDEBILL308 said:
Bill
You have an almost 40' long MH from looking at your signature line.  When you are saying you went to over 35 campgrounds and NEVER had a problem with the size of your coach, you are implying that most or all campgrounds have campsites large enough for you to fit your RV into. 

There are hundreds of campgrounds in state parks, National Forests, National Parks, BLM lands, county parks, city parks, etc where a 38'-40' motorhome just will not fit. Roads inside the CG have too sharp of a turn on narrow road to maneuver the long rig, campsites are only 25'-30' long, dips in the road which would keep longer rigs from driving on the road, etc.  Certainly, with research, people can avoid these campgrounds, but that doesn't mean they are not prevalent.

AStravelers said:
There are hundreds of campgrounds in state parks, National Forests, National Parks, BLM lands, county parks, city parks, etc where a 38'-40' motorhome just will not fit. Roads inside the CG have too sharp of a turn on narrow road to maneuver the long rig, campsites are only 25'-30' long, dips in the road which would keep longer rigs from driving on the road, etc.  Certainly, with research, people can avoid these campgrounds, but that doesn't mean they are not prevalent.
Yes there are plenty of campgrounds that a big rig will not fit in. However this is the 21st century and we now have the Internet and Google Earth to make it so that you never have to arrive at a campground and find out you don't fit in.

There are hundreds of campgrounds in state parks, National Forests, National Parks, BLM lands, county parks, city parks, etc where a 38'-40' motorhome just will not fit.
And thousands where they will.

I think Seilerbird has the most practical advice.  With the information sources and communications available today, there is no need to be surprised upon arrival and have to go elsewhere.  A campsite may not be all you hoped it would be, but managing to fit there should not be an issue.

After looking up the definition of a Luddite ???.  I suspected that Isaac-1 may have fit the bill. But, having read all of the postings carefully, I am not so sure.  What is your opinion Gary?

Isaac-1 said:
Larry, I agree complete, my point initially was meant to be that the common attitude that slides are always better / preferred is not always valid...
No but the fact remains that slides are extremely popular and if you do buy an RV without slides you can expect major problems finding a buyer when you go to sell it. Slides dramatically increase the price and sale-ability of any RV.

Coach_Frank said:
After looking up the definition of a Luddite ???.  I suspected that Isaac-1 may have fit the bill. But, having read all of the postings carefully, I am not so sure.  What is your opinion Gary?

Careful with loaded words: A Luddite is usually waaay beyond what Isaac has shown -- he's just not enamored with slides, which doesn't mean he's against even new tech. There are many of us (I'm one) who don't jump in to the "latest and greatest" just because it's there, as some seem to do. Though I disagree with him in this case, he has what seem to him valid reasons for his approach to things, not just "hating" new tech.

When I bought my 95 Challenger in 03 I wouldn't consider looking at a coach with slides. My late wife always wanted one with, but I refused. When we bought this coach she was very sick, and I bought this coach to please her. She passed before she could use it, but it made her happy. We were planning a west coast trip but she passed before that happened. I can't believe how bull headed I was, the slides add so much to a RV, I wouldn't have one without them now. 

After looking up the definition of a Luddite ??? .  I suspected that Isaac-1 may have fit the bill. But, having read all of the postings carefully, I am not so sure.  What is your opinion Gary?
I'm not making any judgments like that - you are on our own!  ;)

There are always Luddites around, protesting some improved technology or procedure.  Sometimes there is good reason to suspect that "new" isn't "better",  but more often the problems with "new" are more in the way of teething problems than any fundamental shortcoming.

I've been around a longtime, so I remember folks who swore that they would never have power windows in their car, or that an air conditioner in a car or house was ridiculous and unnecessary. Auto transmissions too. Heck, the whole notion of horseless carriages was radical at one time. Ditto for indoor plumbing and electric lights.  I too know how to get along without all those things, but I would rather not!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I've been around a longtime, so I remember folks who swore that they would never have power windows in their car, or that an air conditioner in a car or house was ridiculous and unnecessary. Auto transmissions too. Heck, the whole notion of horseless carriages was radical at one time. Ditto for indoor plumbing and electric lights.  I too know how to get along without all those things, but I would rather not!

I swore 8-Track was the way to go.

I suspect that change is the reason for the luddite attitude in many cases. Sometimes it means a whole class of people have to relearn or completely change jobs.

Ernie

Historically, the Luddites were protesting the imminent loss of their jobs and livelihood, something we could all sympathize with.  However, when used as a descriptive term, "Luddite" simply means any person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology. Changes like that are often disruptive and for some, scary (robots?).  When it is something that can be avoided without much loss to self or family, some folks will always choose the old ways.

My granddaughter once asked me how we managed years ago without TV, computers, cell phones, Internet, etc. I told her, "Apparently not all that well, since we invented them."

"In 1892, Rudolf Diesel developed the first compressed charge, compression ignition engine." - Wikipedia

Amazing how much of the "old technology" still runs!  ;) :)

Back
Top Bottom