Running cables through roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeandJane

My next project is to install both a ham antenna and a Weboost antenna on the bat wing tv antenna and run them into the coach.  I am looking for ideas on how to run the wires through the roof.  Can that be done through the refrigerator hood?  Since I might use the now empty location where the VCR was, left of the fridge, that would be convenient. 

Send me your tips for wires through roof please.

I'm planning on using the batwing for cell boost also, and possibly wifi. Mine's up front so will be making a roof penetration and using one of these

Check your cable diameter because that entrance fitting has about a 10 AWG  maximum

I ran my wifi antenna coax cable through the middle bathroom ceiling vent into the router that I mounted on the bathroom wall.

It's the bathroom my wife uses....took some heat on that one believe me.

I've been considering running solar wires through the fridge chimney.

I went through for my ARP fridge controller routing UP the chimney and into the cabinet.  I found that under the cap, there's a screen cover that had to be cut through to gain access.  Used some hardware cloth and tie wire to re-screen the chimney.  Cut my hands up a good bit doing all that work through the small opening on the wire cuts....but it worked.

I also read somewhere about an idea of using the tank vent pipes, running a cable down inside then out the vent somewhere above the tank.  Seems like a plausible option IF you have access to where the vent pipe connects to the tank or above it.

https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-Weatherproof-Project-Campervan/dp/B0111RNZDY/ref=asc_df_B0111RNZDY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198064505516&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11821097374028407679&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022483&hvtargid=pla-320968524188&psc=1

JoeandJane,  The several that I?ve done....I used an available access ( in my case between the back of the tub/shower and the kitchen slide), which gave my clear access to the roof and most of the wiring/plumbing to/from the basement area. I used a holesaw to cut down ( measure very, very, carefully) through the roof. I used an outdoor pvc junction box connected to 3/4? pvc conduit dropped down into the aforementioned access. The junction box was glued (epdm caulk) and screwed to the roof rubber membrane. All wiring ( solar, Sirius/XM, satellite cable [if not already run], etc.) was run into the box and dropped into the access via the 3/4? conduit.  The wiring where entering the junction box was sealed.  Now, with all of your wiring inside....do your magic!

The refrigerator vent is a common entry point for antenna and solar panel cables, so if it's a convenient point for your installation, go for it. As Brad mentioned, there is a screen under the cover, and I've found the easiest way to deal with that is to cut the existing screen out and make a simple cap from aluminum window screening that's held in place with a few small self tapping screws. That makes future changes easier as well. How you run the wires from that point on the inside depends on your particular layout.

Back
Top Bottom