Recommend a solar kit from Amazon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happy cynic

Good evening, All!

I'm shopping for a solar kit for my 2004 Fleetwood Terry on Amazon and wondered if you have any recommendations? I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries and two 2K Yamaha Companion Generators, but I would like to get as much power from the sun as I can.  Looking for something simple.

Thanks!

happy cynic said:
Good evening, All!

I'm shopping for a solar kit for my 2004 Fleetwood Terry on Amazon and wondered if you have any recommendations? I have two 12 volt deep cycle batteries and two 2K Yamaha Companion Generators, but I would like to get as much power from the sun as I can.  Looking for something simple.

Thanks!

Here are a few pro tips for you.

1. stay away from PWM controllers
2. have sufficient wattage to meet minimum charging requirements of your battery ( hint: battery capacity / 10 )
3. buy a MPPT controller , this will allow for some expansion at a later date

at a minimum, you will need sufficient wattage to charge your batteries at 1/10 th of their capacity.

for example:  if you have two group 31 batteries in parallel at 100 Ah each then you have 200 Ah total and therefore 200/10 = 20 Amps

20 A * 12 V = 240 Watts.

round up to 300 Watts and you could use three of these connected in series.

Panels:
https://www.amazon.com/Newpowa-Polycrystalline-Efficiency-Module-Marine/dp/B00L6LZRXM/ref=sr_1_7?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1529408879&sr=1-7&keywords=solar+panels

and a controller such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Controller-Battery-Regulator-Display/dp/B07DNVW37B/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1529409864&sr=8-9&keywords=mppt+30+amp+charge+controller

if you think you will expand this system later then go for the 40 A version as 30 A limits you to panels of 400 W max.

connect the panels in series with either 10 or 12 AWG and fuse with a 10 Amp resettable fuse as you
will need the ability to disconnect the controller from the panels.

and use 8 AWG from the controller to the batteries with a 30 A fuse in line.

select lead acid battery type from the display and your'e good to go..

FYI
I have this post here that describes design in more detail.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,113514.0.html

solarman (or anyone else)
Are you aware of any controllers like that, except more like a panel mount...or something with a remote display/control?
I'm looking to do a smaller system... 50 to 100 watts

It seems that most controllers I've seen for small applications are like the one you linked to here, with the wire connections on the "outside" of the unit.  Fine if it's going in a bay or inside a cabinet
But
To get mine close to the battery, the most logical place is at my entry step, on the side of the cabinet where they have mounted the use/store switch and other light switches and awning control....so I wouldn't want the wiring exposed there, and I wouldn't want something that stands out too far proud of the surface.  I do have room inside of that cabinet space though.  Needs a screwdriver to get in though so It's not accessible for regular access in checking or controlling.  It's where the pump and other mechanicals are...so I could cut a small hole for a display, or use something with back connections.
Otherwise I'd have to mount the controller much closer to the panels, where the cable just enters from the roof

sorry to the OP if this is too much of a hijack.  I figured it was related and maybe useful

I bought a Renogy 100 watt suitcase on Ebay for around $200. Similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Eclipse-Monocrystalline-Suitcase-Controller/dp/B01NADR1CI/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1529613731&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=100+watt+suitcase+solar+panels&psc=1 I also bought 20? of extra cable. I have two group 31 batteries. We used it at The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta for 15 days and now at Peak One campground in Dillon CO. My batteries stay charged all day. We get full sun at like 6am and by the time we get up batteries show fully charged. Now I don?t have a Trimetec (sp) so I?m not positive they?re fully charged, but it works for me. Now considering a second 100 watt panel.

blw2 said:
solarman (or anyone else)
Are you aware of any controllers like that, except more like a panel mount...or something with a remote display/control?
I'm looking to do a smaller system... 50 to 100 watts

It seems that most controllers I've seen for small applications are like the one you linked to here, with the wire connections on the "outside" of the unit.  Fine if it's going in a bay or inside a cabinet
But
To get mine close to the battery, the most logical place is at my entry step, on the side of the cabinet where they have mounted the use/store switch and other light switches and awning control....so I wouldn't want the wiring exposed there, and I wouldn't want something that stands out too far proud of the surface.  I do have room inside of that cabinet space though.  Needs a screwdriver to get in though so It's not accessible for regular access in checking or controlling.  It's where the pump and other mechanicals are...so I could cut a small hole for a display, or use something with back connections.
Otherwise I'd have to mount the controller much closer to the panels, where the cable just enters from the roof

sorry to the OP if this is too much of a hijack.  I figured it was related and maybe useful

Not in the low cost/diy market, I seldom deal with such low wattage systems.

I design in the 600 watt to 20 Kw range..
most of that gear is bluetooth or IP based..

you could use a small victron blue with the bluetooth interface and read your PV info on a smartphone
but this gear is way overkill for a 50 to 100 W system..

happy cynic said:
Good evening, All!

Thanks!

Sorry, but one has to ask why? If you already have two 2000 watt generators, why you want solar?

Don't mean to sound blunt or rude, but it will make a difference to the answer. Do you Boondock a lot? Do you want to get away from the use of the generator?  If so, then I doubt that there is any kit that you can get that will meet your needs.

Once we know what your overall goal is, then perhaps we can offer something useful.

Frank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom