electrical problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

miaone

I have a 2006 FLEETWOOD FIESTA 31-H CLAS-A MOTORHOME. I want to wire in a new shoreline cord. How do you wire the cord, generator and couch power together in the receptacle box that is in the cord storage box on the left side of my motorhome right in front of the onan generator? I forgot to take a picture of the wires before I unhooked them all. Thanks for any answers, miaone

Does the Fiesta have a auto transfer switch to shift from shore to genset power, or do you physically plug the shore cord into a generator outlet?  In either case, you should not have needed to disconnect the genset wires. The genset and shore wires are never wired to each other directly, so I suspect what you are seeing in that box is something different.

Can you provide a photo or a detailed description of what wires you have?

Like Gary said, the first rule is never, ever, connect the generator and shore power cord together.  You can use one and only one source of AC power at a time.

One set of wires comes from the generator, another is the shore power cord and the third set of wires goes into the RV to connect to the circuit breaker panel.

If all these wires connect to individual terminals on a terminal strip, you have an automatic transfer switch that automatically switches between generator and shore power.  We'll need to see some pictures in order to advise you how to re-connect them, as the layout varies from one type of switch to another.

Or, instead of the automatic switch, you could have an outlet that matches the shore power cord's plug inside the cord's storage compartment.  In this case the outlet is connected to the generator wires and the shore power cord connects directly to the wires going to the RV's circuit breaker panel.

You plug the shore power cord into shore power when it's available and into the generator outlet when you store the cord so the generator can power the RV.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom