02 Journey Slide Creep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

Started getting some slide creep while driving. Also I am now getting what sounds like the hydraulic pumps running backwards after moving the slides in and releasing the toggle switch which did not occur before so it sounds like a valve is not closing and releasing the pressure in the system allowing the slides to creep while driving. Any trouble shooting advice here?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

The first thing to check is hwh system fluid level. Low fluid level can cause slight creep. The other very, very common cause for a slide creeping out is that the retract solenoid needs to be replaced. It's not difficult to do, but you do have to know which one it is. There are a couple of other possible causes but they would have to be diagnosed by a technician.

I did find some info on line, need to check if the 200 series HWH system is in my MH. It did list the likely cause is the check valve but also the retract solenoid could do it also. I think either would allow the retract line pressure to bleed off and allow creep out. Looks like both the check valve and retract solenoids are next to each other.

Any good sources for replacement parts or just call HWH?

thanks

HWH probably sources their solenoids from several industrial suppliers, if you know which solenoid was the problem, there could be some part numbers on it you could search for.

I am an optimist - Let us know if the fluid level is low! :)

According to Paul Maddox (azpete) over on iRV2.com, "if you just want to order parts, its often quicker to call stuarts in elkhart indiana. they stock a lot of hwh parts, and are a hwh master service center. they will give you the hwh retail price so you can compare that to others pricing."
Paul works for HWH, is active on iRV2.com (and other forums?), and appears always happy to help out another RVer with HWH-related issues, questions, etc.

Hi Gary. Slide creep is when a slide starts moving out on its own, because the hydraulic pressure that normally holds it in place, bleeds down for one reason or another. It is my understanding that electric slides don't have the same problem, but they can certainly have other problems.

Kev

I will let everyone know what I find but my money is on a bad solenoid or check valve vs fluid level.

Top38 said:
I will let everyone know what I find but my money is on a bad solenoid or check valve vs fluid level.
I'll be watching for your update as one of my slides tend to creep also, but does so after sitting for a while and not while driving.
Mine seems to be one cylinder that moves the most so I will assume that it's one or the other of what your money is on.
I also don't think the fluid level is low.
Mine unit has been sitting for about 3 months and I have had it creep 2 or 3 times and had to pull the slide back in.

Hope you get it figured out - maybe take pictures of what you replace?

Been busy but finally checked the fluid and it was low so I topped it off. It is possible that low fluid caused this but can't be sure yet. The pump run on after releasing the slide close or open switch has stopped after a few uses so maybe air was in the lines causing this??? Went on a short trip this weekend and it was OK but I need to take a longer trip to be sure.

Now I have a sticking leveler on the pass rear side, comes down OK but needs help going up.... I friend of mine said there is a hydraulic company near by that can rebuild them. It's a PIA now to get it fully retracted. 

Top38 said:
..Now I have a sticking leveler on the pass rear side, comes down OK but needs help going up.... I friend of mine said there is a hydraulic company near by that can rebuild them. It's a PIA now to get it fully retracted.
If the jack solenoid doesn't open up for jack retraction, the springs can't pull the jack up. If that solenoid is okay, the springs could be weak, or you simply need to wipe the jack shaft down with a light lube. I use pure silicon so no dust is attracted to the shaft.

It will go up but requires a jack under it so it does take some force to do so. I need to do some more checking, a solenoid would be an easier fix for sure. Springs are likely original.

Do those solenoids have a manual release? That would be an easy test if so. Just have to figure out which one.

On the slide creep, still doing it so I plan on ordering a retract solenoid. For the sticking jack, I opened the solenoid using the t-bolt and saw no improvement with that jack retracting. I also tried spraying silicon and it helped a bit but still needed to be jacked up to start retracting, once I jacked it up a few inches it went on its own,,, couple of weeks later need to jack it all the way up. Guessing that jack is bad. A buddy of mine said the shaft seal is very thick and can cause this problem. Going to wait till fall and take it off and have it rebuilt. Before doing that I will remove the hydraulic line and make sure it still won't retract.

Based on how it jacked up, I don't think 10 springs would work. It needed a very good push to move. All of the springs do look original.

Back
Top Bottom