Burnt Wire, Can someone help me figure what it is? Air Ride?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeepers79

1998 winnebago chieftain . Diesel Freightliner

Under the front compartment there is an automotive style fuse panel.
See the pic where the purple wire is burnt a little, it goes in the spot where its got the blue connector.

Based on some wiring diagram I find it looks like it connects to:  Wire ASM-AIR Ride Control

From what I can tell everything as for the air ride works.  How would I know otherwise?

Link to image:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/W5aRTWjevYubB4D29

What would cause this?

If you go here Wiring Diagrams you can select your specific model and find all of the wiring diagrams.  Winnebago labels all of their 12V wiring every few inches and you can look up a specific label here in the Wiring Identification Guide (note that back when your coach was built Winnebago used PURple rather than YELlow for power and GReeN instead of WHIte for grounds).
According to page 3 (lower right corner) of the Automotive Wiring Diagram and also page 6 of the Front End Wiring Install diagram for your coach that wire should be labeled ML (ML / 16 YEL CHASSIS INSTRUMENT PANEL LAMPS FEED CIRCUIT INSTRUMENT PANEL LAMPS).  As you indicated it does connect to the Air Ride Control ASseMbly which is shown on Sheet 5, Location F-2 which is on page 12 of the pdf.  As you can see there that wire provides power to the LEVEL CONTROL SWITCH BEZEL TEXT ILLUMINATION and MODE CONTROL SWITCH BEZEL TEXT ILLUMINATION.

I suspect you'll find that your switches aren't lit the way they are intended to be.  :)

Awesome, Thanks!

Seems like an awfully heavy gauge wire for just lights, no?

Any idea what would cause this?

jeepers79 said:
Awesome, Thanks!

Seems like an awfully heavy gauge wire for just lights, no?

Any idea what would cause this?
You're welcome!  As far as wire gauge, it's 16ga which is as small as the Winne wiring gets, I think (larger are 14ga, 12ga, and 10ga).  Perhaps a loose connection at the fuse box caused the terminal to overheat?

Yeah, this was closer to 10Ga.

Looks like it controlled the blower motor on the front HVAC panel... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom