Small printer recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UTTransplant

We want to start carrying a small printer with wireless connectivity. The motorhome has a sliding shelf identified for a printer, but we are having problems finding something to fit. The shelf is 10 1/4? deep, 19.5? wide, and 9.5? high. I can find lots of printers about 2? bigger, but I am having a hard time finding one to fit. I have looked on line, but it generally takes quite a few clicks to find out the dimensions. Does anyone have a small printer that fits the dimensions? If I have a manufacturer and model number to start with, it sure would,help, even if your current printer is obsolete (which they become about 6 months after they show up!).

My Canon MG3200 printer measures 17.5" wide x 11.5" deep x 6" high. It's a little deeper than your shelf, but it sits just fine on 10.25". This printer is getting a little old, and there are probably newer ones out there that would fit your size limitations. Worst case, I'd be inclined to put a piece of thin plywood (maybe luan) on the shelf, overhanging the front a little, and put the printer on top of that.

I have a Canon Pixma iP100.  It is very small. Not wireless but you are suppose to be able to get a attachment to make it wireless
Size is not much bigger than a laptop.

Don't leave home without my Epson WorkForce WF-100 Wireless Mobile Printer.

UTTransplant said:
We want to start carrying a small printer with wireless connectivity. The motorhome has a sliding shelf identified for a printer, but we are having problems finding something to fit. The shelf is 10 1/4? deep, 19.5? wide, and 9.5? high. I can find lots of printers about 2? bigger, but I am having a hard time finding one to fit. I have looked on line, but it generally takes quite a few clicks to find out the dimensions. Does anyone have a small printer that fits the dimensions? If I have a manufacturer and model number to start with, it sure would,help, even if your current printer is obsolete (which they become about 6 months after they show up!).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LAK6JVW/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_9?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Check this one out at Amazon.  16 wide by 7 by 5.5.  All in one functionality.  I am shopping Amazon currently also for a small printer and there are many available.  I just think they are a bit pricey, so Im still shopping.

Specs are always on the product page, just scroll down to more description.  Also look at the dimensions given on the similar items listed as "what others bought or shopped for" comparison table at the bottom  of the listing.  Lots of alternatives.

We ended up buying a HP 3755 at our local Best Buy. Cost $59 plus tax. Of course all HP printers are inexpensive but they make up for it in ink. It is very small so it fits on the pull out shelf with room to spare. With no network in the coach we have to select the printer?s local network to print, but it does it just fine. Yes, it is slow, but that is fine for us. I have to use the HP app to scan, but it copies independently. There is definitely a trick to scanning since it is not a flat bed, but it will save as a PDF or JPG.

[quote author=UTTransplant]... all HP printers are inexpensive but they make up for it in ink.[/quote]
Not limited to HP. It's the "razor and razor blade" story all over again.

Here is the printer I have been using wirelessly for the last year:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013C0ZHLQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only paid $70 for it even thought it is much more expensive now. It is 15" x 18" x 6". Printer, scanner, copier. It plays well with my three Chromebooks. I am very happy with this printer.

UTTransplant said:
Of course all HP printers are inexpensive but they make up for it in ink.
I agree, and I personally don't use refurbished cartridges either.  I will say, I have had great luck buying new off Ebay.  Usually the box is missing, but still in sealed foil, and date still fine. I actually think if it is in foil, unopened, you could go a few years past the date and it would work fine.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-LaserJet-Pro-M15w-Printer/178072208?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227157555225&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=268279317768&wl4=pla-446226331663&wl5=9031807&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=178072208&veh=sem

This was the smallest printer I could find.

I just put one of these in my coach in the small cabinet over the table. It's wireless and doesn't use ink cartridges.

It a Laser printer so it only prints in black and white but that's good enough for me. I've switched my home computer to a  Laser also.

Ink cartridges tend to go bad in my coach due to 1oo degree weather and not getting used enough.

I'm through buying ink cartridges. What a rip off.

No kidding! I bought a near new Canon for twenty bucks, the cartridge was 80 so I'm $100 into a $60 printer.  :'( I am told that the originals only have a fraction of the ink compared to the replacements so the manufacturers definitely make their money.

I gave up on inkjet printers a while back.  In low humidity areas the jets plug up within a few weeks of non-use and the cartridge becomes useless.

I have a HP M15W monochrome laser printer in my RV and it meets my needs.  If I need to scan something I shoot a picture of it with my cell phone and use a photo to PDF program to trim the borders and convert the picture into a printable PDF.

Ive actually given up on having an on board printer. I dont need to print or copy anything often and I have much more uses for that space. If I ever need to print something, I put it on a flash drive and stop in a Office Max or a library or whatever. Rather than scanning, I sent half of my tax papers to my tax lady by taking pictures of them on my phone and sending them via text or email.

About 14-3/4" long X 8" wide  X 3-1/2 high.  Blue tooth connection.  HP 100 portable printer.  I think there is a newer version but used ones are available.  Pricey little devils but I've never had it fail to print after sitting idle for 2 months.  I don't print often but it does a good job.

Don't know about the newer models but the HP100 needs a cable connection to the computer to set up.  After that it is blue tooth.  I frequently print using the battery and only charge the batteries when low.  So, mostly no cords and compact for storage.

pete

Thinking about getting a printer for home use. Would like something somewhat budget-friendly. Plan to print mostly 8x10 but slightly bigger would be nice as well.
What are you using?
Standard printer paper is 8-1/2” X 11”.

I have a Canon TS302 and am happy with it. No scanner function but small footprint and I had it set up in the RV for a while.

When you say 8 X 10 are you looking for a photo quality printer?

BTW - thread is several years old so you probably should have started a new one.

Back
Top Bottom