Norcold refrigerator fan install

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

Based on what I consider to be marginal performance during hot weather on my aging (15-years old) Norcold model N822 reefer, I have acquired 2 cooling fans. Installation location, however is questionable. I agree with the theory that fans forcing hot air out of the area is probably more effective than forcing cooling air into the area.

The Norcold web site shows a cooling fan installed on top of the absorber instead of on top of the condensor or in the lower area of the access door. Numerous U-Tube videos show installation in the access door.

Your considered opinions please. Seems like access to the absorber would require partial reefer removal, however if that is the most effective installation, I can do that.

Attachments

• fan loc.JPG
    fan loc.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 39
Is your fridge in a slideout? If not, I would definitely put the fans above the condenser, right at the top of the exhaust stack. If it is in a slide, I would mount the fans to the inside of the top removable vent grill, with enough slack in the wire to remove the grill. Perhaps even put quick disconnects on the wires.

So, I pulled the top vent, installed two computer muffin fans, each rated at 1500 RPM, 750 CFM on top of the condenser, turned the reefer on 6 hours ago. Outside temperature here in sunny Phoenix Arizona is 106 degrees, the inside of the box is now down to 62 degrees after 6 hours. I'm hopeful that it will continue to cool, and will have solved my issue.

A fan control temperature switch is on the way (Wednesday delivery) that will close at 140 degrees and open at 120 degrees. Once installed, the system should be self regulating.

RedT said:
A fan control temperature switch is on the way (Wednesday delivery) that will close at 140 degrees and open at 120 degrees. Once installed, the system should be self regulating.
I installed a couple Norcold OEM fans in the same location. I put mine on a manual switch which I just leave on if ambient temps approach 100, or when I'm driving.

RedT said:
Outside temperature here in sunny Phoenix Arizona is 106 degrees,
Yup. I'm over in Mesa, 106 here too, nice eh? $6/day to keep it at 81. Not quite sure how my plan ended up with me here during the summer, then leaving just as it starts to cool down  ::)

In my opinion when I have to choose from optimal vs accessible location, accessible nearly always wins.    When I added a fan to my Dometic refrigerator I used a 120mm quiet PWM IP56 dust proof /  splash proof computer fan (Rosewill SEAL series fan $17 on Amazon) , mated to a variable speed PWM fan controller, with a temperature sensor attached to the lower return tube above the absorber tank.  The cheap ebay $7  PWM controller is set to turn the fan on when the return tube exceeds about 95F and ramp up to max speed when the tube hits 120F.    The fan is mounted  using a scrap L shaped sheet metal bracket I had laying around (about 1x1x8 inches that slid in tight behind vent cover frame) at the top of the lower vent cover and blows air upward.    Temperature settings were based on trial and error, at this set point the fan will not run at night except  in the hottest of summer temperatures to conserve battery power, I have 400 watts of solar panels on the roof, so am not concerned much about the slight amp draw in the daytime (.22 amps at 12DVC from the fan max (2.64 watts), plus whatever small draw the PWM temperature sensor controller has (claims 20ma max)).  Even on high I can't hear the fan inside the coach, and can barely hear it outside, though my hearing is not great.

Sun2Retire said:
Yup. I'm over in Mesa, 106 here too, nice eh? $6/day to keep it at 81. Not quite sure how my plan ended up with me here during the summer, then leaving just as it starts to cool down  ::)

We normally are gone to cooler climes this time of year, but this year priorities intervened. We plan to be further north very soon!

Back
Top Bottom