rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Ground Effect Lights  (Read 1445 times)

ClickHill

• ---
Ground Effect Lights
« on: June 19, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »
So I did this today.  I attached them to the Aux switch on the dash and moved the front LED's from that switch to the day time running lights.
D & D
2015 Winnebago Itasca Merdian
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

HappyWanderer

• ---
Re: Ground Effect Lights
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2018, 07:37:21 PM »
1. Why?
2. I hope you're never parked next to me.
3. See #1.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »
So I did this today.  I attached them to the Aux switch on the dash and moved the front LED's from that switch to the day time running lights.

Nice work. I have toyed with the idea myself, but have not gotten around to it yet.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 07:50:26 PM »
Look neat! Probably a bit brighter than what I would want, but still nice. I like ground effect lights.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 08:01:57 PM »
Happy Wanderer -

1. Why - Because its MY bus - I paid for it and "I" like them.
2. You hope I am never parked next to you - If I am, simply tell me you would prefer I turn them off as they bother you and guess what - I will turn them right off.  When I am parked next to someone I don't normally turn on any outside lights, because I am respectful!!  I bet you are an absolute delight when someone pulls in next to you with an outside TV.
3. See #1
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 09:02:18 PM »
I bet they really help when working under the RV! 8)
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 09:24:55 PM »
I bet they really help when working under the RV! 8)
Or when you need to find it in the dark  ;)
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, 970W Solar, Tri-Metric Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Conquest2011

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 12:36:33 AM »

You know what I much rather how someone with under lights like yours, then having blinding white lights. Also, if you so happen to arrive real late in the evening say after dark, which would be unfortunate, but crap happens, the lights would come in handy messing around in the dark.

I see a project in my future of similar nature.
Steven & LeVere
2018 GMC 3500 diesel Denali dually
2019 Grand Design Solitude 375 RES

butchiiii

• ---
  • A day RVing is better than a Great day at work!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 01:10:57 AM »

Looks really cool. I better not show my wife. She'll want some  :) :) :)
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2890RL

Pugapooh

• ---
  • Wanna buy a truck?
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 01:47:37 AM »
They don't seem so bright as to be annoying.  Certainly wouldn't keep me awake at night.
2006 Dutchmen Denali 29 RL fiver
2006 Dodge 2500 Big Horn
2001 GMC Sierra 3500

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 07:29:07 AM »
You know what I much rather have someone with under lights like yours, than having blinding white lights.

Thatís a pet peeve of mine also, those that replace their porch light with the brightest, whitest LED they can find, then leave it on all night. They can be objectionable from considerable distance. I replaced my porch light with an LED for power savings, but got warm white so itís a fairly soft light and looks like the original bulb. And if Iím anywhere near anyone I use it only when necessary.
Scott

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2018, 07:32:07 AM »

Do you have a link as to where you purchased them?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2018, 09:09:59 AM »
Those turned out nice.  I put some light green ones under our last coach but they weren't that bright.  I keep telling myself I'm going to put some under our Dynasty but it never makes it to the top of the list. :D

Mike
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2018, 09:21:13 AM »
I googled this relating to blue lights since I had always heard they were illegal in florida, even the blue dots that are put on stop and tail light lenses.......

Therefore it's our conclusion that in Florida neon underglow is not illegal, as long as you follow these restrictions: Red lights may not be visible from the front of the car. Blue colored lights are prohibited on any part of the vehicle......

of course if a person was not driving around with them on then no one would even know.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 09:25:08 AM »

Thatís a pet peeve of mine also, those that replace their porch light with the brightest, whitest LED they can find, then leave it on all night. They can be objectionable from considerable distance. I replaced my porch light with an LED for power savings, but got warm white so itís a fairly soft light and looks like the original bulb. And if Iím anywhere near anyone I use it only when necessary.
:)) I changed mine to an amber lens in the hope of drawing less bugs. Iíve been camping one way or another for over 50 years and still enjoy walking through a campground at night looking at how everyone has decorated their site.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
still enjoy walking through a campground at night looking at how everyone has decorated their site.

As do I, as long as they don't decorate it with sodium vapor floodlights  ;)
Scott

Oscar Mike

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 11:18:43 AM »
Happy Wanderer -

1. Why - Because its MY bus - I paid for it and "I" like them.
2. You hope I am never parked next to you - If I am, simply tell me you would prefer I turn them off as they bother you and guess what - I will turn them right off.  When I am parked next to someone I don't normally turn on any outside lights, because I am respectful!!  I bet you are an absolute delight when someone pulls in next to you with an outside TV.
3. See #1

Haha!  Nice.

I dig what you did also and wouldn't mind doing it too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 11:21:32 AM by FenderP »
I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2018, 11:26:47 AM »
I just ordered a roll of these dimmable led rope lights with remote controller.

https://www.amazon.com/GuoTonG-Waterproof-Connectable-Frequency-Controller/dp/B079FKTZ73/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1529510334&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=dimmable%2Brope%2Blights&th=1

I put them on the wish list.  One question/review was funny, it was about the lights turning themselves on.  Ghost lights!
I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2018, 02:56:04 PM »
Iíve been parked next to people with garish LED lighting. Itís obnoxious and totally unnecessary.

As children, we were taught by our parents to be courteous campers, and we have passed that onto our own children who continue to camp. That includes concepts like not cutting through other sites, not playing loud music or shining bright lights that would disturb our neighbors, even talking loudly around the campfire during quiet hours.

Unfortunately, these concepts have become foreign as people have become concerned only with themselves and care not about others around them. Generators running day and night, blaring music, high intensity lighting, etc. have become the norm. Iím a bit old-fashioned and continue to be respectful towards the people I share a campground with.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Oscar Mike

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 03:14:33 PM »
Iíve been parked next to people with garish LED lighting. Itís obnoxious and totally unnecessary.

As children, we were taught by our parents to be courteous campers, and we have passed that onto our own children who continue to camp. That includes concepts like not cutting through other sites, not playing loud music or shining bright lights that would disturb our neighbors, even talking loudly around the campfire during quiet hours.

Unfortunately, these concepts have become foreign as people have become concerned only with themselves and care not about others around them. Generators running day and night, blaring music, high intensity lighting, etc. have become the norm. Iím a bit old-fashioned and continue to be respectful towards the people I share a campground with.

Hmmm... Stop by sometime and have a cup of coffee...those too are festive.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 03:23:52 PM by John Beard »

Oscar Mike

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2018, 03:22:25 PM »
One's opinion is just that... one person's opinion. I enjoy looking at how campsites are decorated and I go to some length to prepare an aesthetically pleasing campsite for us, and perhaps someone else will get a kick. I also have found that folks are more willing to approach us in conversation when we have an inviting campsite.

I also have a strict quiet at all times policy, and a little decorative lighting is a plus.

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2018, 04:57:29 PM »
One's opinion is just that... one person's opinion. I enjoy looking at how campsites are decorated and I go to some length to prepare an aesthetically pleasing campsite for us, and perhaps someone else will get a kick. I also have found that folks are more willing to approach us in conversation when we have an inviting campsite.
Agree.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 07:14:59 AM »

I also have a strict quiet at all times policy, and a little decorative lighting is a plus.

Agreed.

I don't like bright lights and loud music at campsites either but I absolutely love that subdued glow of undercoach lighting.

I've been next to a few that have them and don't for a second feel like they are intrusive or annoying at all.

But that's just me.  You know what they say opinions are like....... ;)

Mike
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 09:49:24 AM »
My only question, did you attach the lights to the frame rails or the lower edge of the coach wall? 
I had a couple of strings of those on my last coach that I ran along the lower edge of the sidewall.  They looked real cool, but they didn't hold up to the road conditions.  I've been thinking about getting a couple of strips and running along the frame rails on the new coach.  I've got one strip(left over from the old coach)that I put on the roller for the awning.  I made sure that the actual lights themselves aren't visible from outside the campsite once the awning is deployed.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 10:20:18 AM »
I like it. That blue color seems pretty low-key. And the light does not seem to travel far across your concrete floor so I would imagine on gravel and grass, it would disperse pretty close to the MH and wouldn't be an "in your face" kind of light.

When I was about 18 or so, colored under-car lighting was quite the rage (actual neon lighting, I think). The fad went away pretty quickly but every now and then I see one.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2018, 12:19:13 PM »
Here is a link to where I bought them - https://www.boogeylights.com/

They are attached directly to the under frame pointing straight down.  The directions from Boogie Lights was pretty specific about how to clean and pre-treat the surface prior to installing them.  They even come with alcohol pads and 3M surface prep.  Time will tell how they stand up to driving and weather but they seem to be very secure.
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
The lights that John Beard just ordered are 110 Volt AC and these lights are 12 Volt DC I believe.  Catblaster sort of indicated that you'd possibly would be driving down the road with them on. Are you? Do you intend to drive with them on?
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Oscar Mike

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
The lights that John Beard just ordered are 110 Volt AC and these lights are 12 Volt DC I believe.  Catblaster sort of indicated that you'd possibly would be driving down the road with them on. Are you? Do you intend to drive with them on?

By using a 110 volt system, I have the luxury of unplugging the system very conveniently. Running with ground effect lighting might be illegal in certain jurisdictions. In Las Vegas having "Rock Lights" on a Jeep is all the rage, however some are getting ticketed for having their systems on while driving. So the short answer is no, not while driving.

ClickHill

• ---
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2018, 07:02:12 PM »
Mine are 12V but I wired them to an Aux switch that is not powered when the transmission is engaged or when the air brakes are released.  So even if I forgot to turn them off as soon as I start driving they turn themselves off.
D & D
2013 Chevy Equinox toad

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
In some jurisdictions having any kind of blue, red, or yellow light visible while the vehicle in moving would be a violation since those colors are often considered at  "emergency lights".  Many also have a certain distance that they can be mounted. Parked vehicle, no  problem. Moving vehicle, big problem.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!