Ground Effect Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HappyWanderer said:
I?ve been parked next to people with garish LED lighting. It?s obnoxious and totally unnecessary.

As children, we were taught by our parents to be courteous campers, and we have passed that onto our own children who continue to camp. That includes concepts like not cutting through other sites, not playing loud music or shining bright lights that would disturb our neighbors, even talking loudly around the campfire during quiet hours.

Unfortunately, these concepts have become foreign as people have become concerned only with themselves and care not about others around them. Generators running day and night, blaring music, high intensity lighting, etc. have become the norm. I?m a bit old-fashioned and continue to be respectful towards the people I share a campground with.

Hmmm... Stop by sometime and have a cup of coffee...those too are festive.

One's opinion is just that... one person's opinion. I enjoy looking at how campsites are decorated and I go to some length to prepare an aesthetically pleasing campsite for us, and perhaps someone else will get a kick. I also have found that folks are more willing to approach us in conversation when we have an inviting campsite.

I also have a strict quiet at all times policy, and a little decorative lighting is a plus.

John Beard said:
One's opinion is just that... one person's opinion. I enjoy looking at how campsites are decorated and I go to some length to prepare an aesthetically pleasing campsite for us, and perhaps someone else will get a kick. I also have found that folks are more willing to approach us in conversation when we have an inviting campsite.
Agree.

John Beard said:

I also have a strict quiet at all times policy, and a little decorative lighting is a plus.

Agreed.

I don't like bright lights and loud music at campsites either but I absolutely love that subdued glow of undercoach lighting.

I've been next to a few that have them and don't for a second feel like they are intrusive or annoying at all.

But that's just me.  You know what they say opinions are like....... ;)

Mike

My only question, did you attach the lights to the frame rails or the lower edge of the coach wall? 
I had a couple of strings of those on my last coach that I ran along the lower edge of the sidewall.  They looked real cool, but they didn't hold up to the road conditions.  I've been thinking about getting a couple of strips and running along the frame rails on the new coach.  I've got one strip(left over from the old coach)that I put on the roller for the awning.  I made sure that the actual lights themselves aren't visible from outside the campsite once the awning is deployed.

I like it. That blue color seems pretty low-key. And the light does not seem to travel far across your concrete floor so I would imagine on gravel and grass, it would disperse pretty close to the MH and wouldn't be an "in your face" kind of light.

When I was about 18 or so, colored under-car lighting was quite the rage (actual neon lighting, I think). The fad went away pretty quickly but every now and then I see one.

Here is a link to where I bought them - https://www.boogeylights.com/

They are attached directly to the under frame pointing straight down.  The directions from Boogie Lights was pretty specific about how to clean and pre-treat the surface prior to installing them.  They even come with alcohol pads and 3M surface prep.  Time will tell how they stand up to driving and weather but they seem to be very secure.

The lights that John Beard just ordered are 110 Volt AC and these lights are 12 Volt DC I believe.  Catblaster sort of indicated that you'd possibly would be driving down the road with them on. Are you? Do you intend to drive with them on?

Rene T said:
The lights that John Beard just ordered are 110 Volt AC and these lights are 12 Volt DC I believe.  Catblaster sort of indicated that you'd possibly would be driving down the road with them on. Are you? Do you intend to drive with them on?

By using a 110 volt system, I have the luxury of unplugging the system very conveniently. Running with ground effect lighting might be illegal in certain jurisdictions. In Las Vegas having "Rock Lights" on a Jeep is all the rage, however some are getting ticketed for having their systems on while driving. So the short answer is no, not while driving.

Mine are 12V but I wired them to an Aux switch that is not powered when the transmission is engaged or when the air brakes are released.  So even if I forgot to turn them off as soon as I start driving they turn themselves off.

In some jurisdictions having any kind of blue, red, or yellow light visible while the vehicle in moving would be a violation since those colors are often considered at  "emergency lights".  Many also have a certain distance that they can be mounted. Parked vehicle, no  problem. Moving vehicle, big problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom