No Power Atwood Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donny_Courtney87

Hi! My husband just bought a 2002 Keystone Prowler.

This is our first travel trailer/5th wheel.

Except.....we dont have hot water.

Model: Gc10a-3e

1. Yes, there is propane. Our stove works. Furnace works
2. I checked the circuit breaker. Nothing is popped
3. I personally didn't check the fuses, but a friend did and said they were all good
4. We have tried on propane and when the rv is plugged in
5. The red ATWOOD switch never lights up, at all.
6. No smell of propane in the burner tube
7. We replaced the ECO TSTAT sensors.
8. There is power to every single other item within the rv
9. The diode doesnt look blown but there was moisture inside. I have not yet tried to hook up directly
10. The ignitor doesnt even click.

I bought a new circuit board and ignitor. I have not installed. Is that my next step?

What the heck am I doing?

♡♡Courtney

Try disconnecting all the 12 volt wires and clean the contacts. A pencil eraser works good for this.  Once cleaned, plug and unplug them several times to clean the mating contact.
Did you try to heat the water on 110 volt AC? If it doesn't work, the element may be burned out. It's located on the backside of the heater. While back there, just verify you do have power for the element. These elements are available at Home Depot and Lowe's.

What do you mean "The diode doesnt look blown but there was moisture inside"?
Don't just throw parts into this heater without trouble shooting first.

I will try to clean the contacts. I am not sure it is the element because there is zero power to the Atwood switch inside the RV. I was told as the pilot tries to light,  the switch should light, but go out after a time. It isnt even trying to turn the unit on from the inside Atwood red switch. It never  lights up. There is never any clicking of the igniter.

The diode on the far right wire that has that plastic shroud on it looks like a solid part, however there is moisture inside that shroud touching the wire. I was told when these diodes go out it will cause a NO POWER scenario.

Sounds to me as though there is no 12v power to the heater, so give the fuse(s) another check (not just eyeball-check either). Then test for 12v at the heater control board.

Get a copy of the Atwood heater service guide at http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/atwoodwaterheater.pdf

Back
Top Bottom