Maximum Age for RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heySkippy

Apologies if this is a well-worn topic.

We don't have an RV yet, but are looking at both Class A and 5th wheels. If we go with a Class A it will necessarily be 10 or more years old to stay in our budget. Yesterday I was discussing our plans with a random guy I'd hired to do some welding and he told me that many parks/resorts have put a maximum age in place for RVs. I think he said 15 years was common.

He admitted he didn't know about other places, but that this was common in the our area (gulf coast Florida).

We wouldn't be staying in Florida much, in fact we're buying to get out of Floria in the summer, but this sounds like something we should know about while we shop. Anyone want to share how common or not this is?

Thanks in advance.

The age restriction is fairly common but not engraved in stone. A relatively new RV with a lot of duct tape and bad repairs on the outside might cause them to reject you anyway. A 30 year old Prevost in perfect condition would probably never be turned away. The whole reason for the 15 year rule is a number of not so bright individuals buy a dirt cheap RV, pay for a months rent and then never pay again until they are evicted. In many states the eviction laws all favor the tenant so landlords have to be very cautious as to who they rent to. If you have a nice looking, well maintained RV it would be very rare that you would be turned away by age. And let me tell you RVs much older than 15 years are a real crap shoot to buy. The vast majority are just major money pits you are wise to shop ten years old at the most.

I hadn't thought of the eviction angle.
I can see park owners not wanting the appearance to be that of an old mobile home park. We stayed a few nights in such a park on the north side of Biloxi last March. A number of RV's, though being used, looked like they belonged in the scrap yard.

That said, we just booked a month without a problem at an Arizona RV resort that advertises no older than 10 years without management approval. But, they have the rule if they need it.

Tom

Heli_av8tor said:
That said, we just booked a month without a problem at an Arizona RV resort that advertises no older than 10 years without management approval. But, they have the rule if they need it.

Tom
Are you booked for after Quartzsite? I was hoping to see you and Theresa again and pick her brains a bit about sewing area organization. Where did you book?

Heli_av8tor said:
I hadn't thought of the eviction angle.
I didn't think about it until Lou S explained it to me. I was mystified that my RV was turned down in several parks in California. A 20 year old Tiffin Allegro and it was in decent shape. But it is their businesses and they make the rules.

The whole age restriction thing for RV parks has been discussed many times and yes, there are RV parks that have this criteria but most do not.  Even the ones that do I have sent them a picture of our coach and they have welcomed us in without issue.  There are also those who refuse to stay at a park with such restrictions and that is their right to boycott if they choose.

As to the age of RV question, it boils down to one main thing, how it was maintained.  Our current coach is 16 years old, 120k miles, runs as good if not better than new and looks better than new inside and out.  That being said it is not difficult to keep them up but it does take dedication and commitment but is completely doable by even those who are not mechanically inclined.  You just have to stay on top of things and pay attention to what they are telling you when you are using them.

Mike

he told me that many parks/resorts have put a maximum age in place for RVs. I think he said 15 years was common.
I would quibble about the word "most" and the 15 year age a being the common one (IMO 10 is the most common), but yes it is a consideration.  Not a very significant one, though.  We encountered only a few parks with an age restriction and every one of them granted exceptions based on visual verification of condition. Usually a photo sufficed.

For the most part, I've found the "10-year rule" is only applied for 30 day plus stays, with more lax standards for shorter stays.

We spent a couple of days at one park a few years ago in Virginia I think, that had a 28-day rule for long termers. They could stay as long as they wanted, but they had to check out and back in every 28 days so they didn't come under the state tenancy laws that make eviction so difficult for landlords. They didn't have to move their RV's, just sign a new check-in agreement and pay. The owner told me that policy lets them just haul off a non-paying RV instead of going through the lengthy and costly eviction process since each "stay" is less than a 30 occupancy.

SeilerBird said:
A 30 year old Prevost in perfect condition would probably never be turned away.

This didn't mean anything to me this morning when I first read it, but I've since looked at used Prevost RVs online and all I can say is  :eek: . WTH could possibly make those things worth that kind of money? They look nice, but damn...

heySkippy said:
This didn't mean anything to me this morning when I first read it, but I've since looked at used Prevost RVs online and all I can say is  :eek: . WTH could possibly make those things worth that kind of money? They look nice, but damn...
Next time you get a chance walk into one. There are no houses in Beverly Hills that are appointed as nice as most Prevosts. And you gotta remember if you can own a million dollar RV you will probably not skip out on your rent payment.

Your question about what could make it worth that kind of money will be adequately answered by the time this video gets to the home theater mode button. What impresses me is that my TV is a 55 inch and it is five inches bigger than the TV you get in this Prevost, however mine does not automatically descend from the ceiling.

https://youtu.be/BiobIo16AWo

At the tail end of the video he shows off the electrical wiring main panel. Seven miles of wire in every coach and every wire is identified. As a retired electrician I almost wet myself over the wiring. ;D

I want to add something to the discussion of people not paying rent and skipping out. I was a manager of some cabins in Reno twenty years ago. The dead beats not only did not pay their rent, they were always the worst neighbors with no concern over the volume of their stereo at all hours and they are generally slobs. Amazingly they can afford beer and drugs, but not rent. Not exactly the type of people you would want to rent to. So from our side it would appear the park owners are discriminating. And they are, but with very good reason. They want to stay in business and you can't do that with renters who do not pay rent.

Kicking tires, we visited and toured the Marathon Prevost conversion factory in Coburg, Oregon. Beyond our means, but a great tour.

Photo here

Tom said:
Kicking tires, we visited and toured the Marathon Prevost conversion factory in Coburg, Oregon. Beyond our means, but a great tour.

Photo here

You?d look great driving that rig Tom. How many boats does one really need?  ;)

LOL Scott, but I wouldn't be the driver. I asked about trading our boat, and they said "we'll take anything you can drive here".

SeilerBird said:
I want to add something to the discussion of people not paying rent and skipping out. I was a manager of some cabins in Reno twenty years ago. The dead beats not only did not pay their rent, they were always the worst neighbors with no concern over the volume of their stereo at all hours and they are generally slobs. Amazingly they can afford beer and drugs, but not rent. Not exactly the type of people you would want to rent to. So from our side it would appear the park owners are discriminating. And they are, but with very good reason. They want to stay in business and you can't do that with renters who do not pay rent.

It's like that with about any real estate, not just rental cabins.  One of the reasons I wanted nothing to do with rental properties after seeing the BS my father had to deal with when trying to get people evicted because lack of payment, then when he succeeded he had to (I mean I had to) completely gut and rebuild the interior of the homes. 

I completely understand the whole 10-year rule that some RV parks have and realize it is their business and their obligation to put such measures into place.  Like I said earlier though, I've never been turned away from the few that we have stayed at once I submit a picture of our coach and it is 16 years old.

Mike

The worth of a high end motorcoach (or most anything else) is in the eye of the beholder.  For some its quality, for others it is styling and comfort, and for others purely bling, including the "look at me" factor.  If you don't see enough to warrant the price, nothing I could say would make any difference to you.  Nor should it.

I've been around a lot and done many things, so I find numerous factors that have extra value for me. I like well-crafted cabinetry and fine woods. Some other values for me include designs that allow for maintenance (especially DIY, like labeled wiring harnesses), highly capable chassis mechanicals, a top quality exterior finish, plenty of easily accessible storage, a well designed cockpit for the driver, and so on.  Could never quite stretch the budget or a Prevost conversion or a Newell, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom