can i cap a shower vent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomsteve

im working on a roof replacement and also tearing out a shower. since im putting on a new roof and the shower is going to be completely gone shortly after the roof is done  could i cut the shower vent below the roof line and cap it without any problems?
thanks for any info.

If you can be certain the vent isn?t shared by a sink and/or gray tank, then it could be capped without issue. But no shower?

I've never seen an RV roof vent that only served the shower, so I think's likely your's serves at least the bathroom sink as well, if not the whole grey tank which would be quite common.

Here is a thought....why not duct tape a bag over it and see if everything else works as it should. All of my vents on my sticks and bricks house are capped in the attic, this makes an "air chamber" and allows the system to still get air.  Some vents tie into others along the system so air circulates.  It shouldn't work but it does and no building code would allow it.....but it still works!!

Sun2Retire said:
But no shower?

seems kind of strange,eh? the owner only uses this as a party barge- loads it up with friends for a few different events through the summer. any camping is done in the driveway.
its now seeming the simplest thing for me to do is suck it up and cut a hole for it. :)
heres a few pics of progress so far. im not sure if its typical, but the first 3 or so feet up front didnt have any plywood under the aluminum. not sure if its typical to also just lap the plywood at the joints instead of butting on a rafter( that might show in one of the pics). also not sure if its typical that there isnt much holding the plywood down- it took about 5 minutes to get all the ply wood off.

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 26
  • whole roof.JPG
    whole roof.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 27
  • shower vent.JPG
    shower vent.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 25
If it's primary use will be as a party barge, then you absolutely want to make sure both waste tanks are vented. They'll likely be getting a lot of use... ;)

in my RV, all the fixtures are vented with an air admittance device, and the roof vents are venting the tanks....well, I take that back, I'm not sure about the shower now that I think about it.  No doubt you'll find out how it's plumbed when you start ripping out the shower....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom