newby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

witster123

HI ALL.
I AM NEW TO THIS SO AM NOT SURE HOW TO POST A QUESTION. IF THIS IS THE PLACE COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. I AM LIVING IN A FIFTH WHEEL FOR A WHILE AS I AM FROM THE UK. MY FRIEND OWNS THE 5TH WHEEL BUT IS TOO ARROGANT TO ASK THE QUESTION. HE HAS NO BATTERY AND IS PLUGGED INTO A STANDARD PLUG TO HIS SHOP SUPPLY. EACH TIME HE NOW CONNECTS THE POWER EVERYTHING TRIPS. HE HAS FOUND THAT WHERE ALL THE FUSES ARE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE BREAKER PANEL THE BATHROOM ONE HAS BURN MARKS ON SO HAS BLOWN. HE HAS REPLACED THIS AND IT STILL TRIPS. AS A RESULT I AM LIVING IN THERE WITH NO POWER AT ALL. DOES HE NEED TO REPLACE THE FUSE BOARD OR DOES HE HAVE TO REPLACE THE WHOLE POWER SUPPLY UNIT INCLUDING THE CONVERTER. ALSO HOW IMPORTANT IS THE BATTERY AS HE WAS TOLD HE NEEDS ONE OF THOSE FOR THE FRIDGE ETC.
SORRY IF THIS IS NOT THE PLACE TO ASK THE QUESTION BUT AS I SAID AM NEW TO THIS SO JUST NEED A START POINT.

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

He doesn't need a battery if it is plugged in, but without mains power a battery would be the only source of 12 volt power to keep things running. Including the fridge. Get a 12v battery if you can't solve the other power problem quickly. Plug in an automtive battery charger to keep the battery going.

Very doubtful a new "fuse panel" is needed, but some diligent troubleshooting is needed, using a voltmeter and ohmmeter (usually packed as one in a "muti-meter".

Are fuses blowing or breakers tripping?  The 12v circuits will have fuses and the 120v "mains" will have breaker.  Which of those has burn signs?

15v Bathroom fuse was all burned and now as soon as power goes to the trailer the breaker trips.  I think a year or so ago my partner used a hairdryer and curling tongues at the same time I was using a coffee machine. He never mentioned the load etc and she  turned out the fuse. However, the electric was working prior to me coming as they hoovered the 5th wheel for me to stay in...now the power trips everytime.

The fuse is for 12v (aka battery) power while the breakers are 120av, so the two are not related except that they may be located adjacent to each other on a panel.  Using a curling iron won't blow a fuse, but might trip a breaker.

Is the breaker that trips in the 5W, or in the box that the trailer plugs into (campsite pedestal, garage outlet, or whatever)?

After the 15 amp fuse was replaced, did it blwo out again? If not, we can forget that.

I'm thinking that the damage is behind the panel where the breakers are mounted, but it does not sound as though you or the 5W owner have the electrical background to safely remove the cover to investigate.

The trip is in the shop where the feed is plugged in. Whenever the 5W is connected to the "house " the trip happens in the shop. I am certainly not qualified nor is the owner but he wont admit to that

One unknown is that shop outlet - it is almost surely shares a circuit with other outlets and it may only need a small extra power demand to push it over the circuit max limit (which is the breaker limit, probably 15A).  There may be nothing at all wrong with the trailer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom