f53 Chassis Oil Change - where to go and expected cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveRB55

Hello All,

Have been fulltiming for 3 mos now in our gas motorhome (F53 chassis, V10) and getting close to time for an oil change.  We are in the Montana/Washington area.  Have called a couple of Ford Dealerships and was told they do not service Motorhomes.  Some RV dealers will do it but are busy.  RV dealer quoted 185,  One ford Dealer quoted 155.  If I still had a home, I would be doing this myself in a heartbeat but on on the road, logistics of collection, disposal and a place to do it prevent that.  Was wondering what suggestions  are out there regarding where to go for service and is approx cost of $150 about right now a days? Thank you

Would O'Reilly's or NAPA frown upon you changing your oil in their lot?  I'm sure there's no one answer and it may differ from store to store.  I'd just ask the manager and he/she may say it's ok, especially if you buy all the goods to do it at their store.

Some Walmarts have a bay big enough for motorhomes. I know this will start a Walmart slam fest, but their guys aren't any worse than what Ford dealerships have, and probably a lot better than an RV dealership.

That's one advantage of a gas motorhome vs. a diesel pusher.  All of the filters, etc. are the same as what's used in the pickup trucks so almost any place with enough room to get the motorhome through the door and over the pit can do an oil change and lube.

I used WalMart, most of the newer stores have a large enough door to handle the motorhome.  They usually charge about $30 for a car, $50 for a motorhome.

Check with some RV parks.  They may know of a service center.  We've done this with good results, both in terms of quality of service and cost.   

Look for a mobile RV Mechanic.  Check with a park for a name and phone if you can't find one.  The Ford V10 in an F53 chassis is no big deal for oil and filter -

Thanks all for the input.  You've given me some good ideas,  I was just at an RV park where I saw a Mobile RV mechanic almost daily and it didn't dawn on me to ask about an oil change DUH!  I will ask at next couple of locations to see what that will run.  Currently at a park for day 2 of 3 so scheduling is a problem here even for those locations that would service.  I was surprised when I called the local Ford dealer and was told they did not do oil changes on a 53 chassis but I suppose I will run into some like that.  I may give Walmart a chance but will call to make sure they've done a few.  Good idea about the parking lot but I would not want to chance an oil spill, just not worth the risk.

Call some of the local oil change places like Jiffy Lube.  I change my own oil, but when we were in Alaska I stopped in at a Jiffy Lube and they changed the oil, filter & grease outside the building (I am to tall to fit inside).  Cost was about $120 as I remember. 

We have a Meinke shop not far from us.  Was having my car serviced there recently and asked them if they service RVs......they said absolutely, do it all the time.  $50...for a complete service (Cramping World charged my $170 for the same work).  Guess where I'm going next time......

Here is an offer for you.

This late fall/winter come down to Quartzsite for the RV Rally.

On the way plan a stop in Lake Havasu City, (about 60 miles north on AZ95 and about 17 miles south of I-40) and you can change it for free at the Redneck Free RV shop. 

I got all the tools, catch basins, and room to do it.

Get your oil, filter, and go online and buy a Fumoto valve, (do a search on it and you will see why).

Now if you want to really get ambitious, you can plan ahead and do some of the other fluids.

I do not plan on climbing under your rig, but I will offer lots of advice and criticism as needed while you do it.

If neither of us its up to the job then I do have a local young man named Mario that does lots of work for me and is certainly up to whatever fluid change is needed.

I changed all the different fluids in my DP and generator here this year.

Just let me know ahead of time when you want to reserve the free shop so there is not already someone in there.

Sounds great.  Vegas is home so I just might take you up on that.  I drove truck for 40yrs before I retired, so I have some knowledge of the underside of a truck. 

I've got a nice oil drain pan that seals tight that I bought from NAPA and an oil filter wrench.  I also carry a grease gun and a mat to lay under the coach.
I get my oil and filters at a local place, find a nice quiet spot to boondock for a night and do it myself.  ;)
Most auto parts places will take the old oil.
One of the top ten reasons I bought a gas coach. 

Back
Top Bottom