TC for 3/4 ton Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beardog

Hello all,

Experienced RV'er here. We own a 45 ft Prevost bus conversion (this is our extended trip, take the wife, etc. rig) and a small bumper-pull camper (2013 Jayco Jay Flight Swift 198 RD).

I want to sell or trade my little pull-behind Jayco and get a truck camper. I use it to attend several bluegrass and old time music festivals all over the country by myself, and I am tired of pulling and setting up the little camper. Some places are crowded, rough terrain, and too much trouble even for the little tow behind.

I have a 2016 Ram 2500HD, 4X4, short bed (6' 4") crew cab with the 6.4 hemi, 4.10 axle. I realize that my options are fairly limited, but I would like to be self contained, with at least a wet bath, cook top, good bed, fridge/freezer, heat, air, etc., and 3-7 day boon docking capability for one person.  Here are the new units that I have found that might fit the bill:

Lance 650
CampLite 6.8
Travel Lite 770R
Northstar Liberty, Laredo SC, and perhaps one or 2 other Northstars
Northern Lite 8-11 EX
Wolf Creek 850

However, these new units are all fairly expensive for something that I will use for 3-7 days at a time, perhaps 6-8 times per year. A used unit would be great, but they are harder to research and find something that isn't too big and/or heavy for my truck. I don't want to drive hundreds of miles and then find that a unit isn't suitable. We live in the Hot Springs, AR area.

Any suggestions for other campers that might be appropriate for me?

All advice very much appreciated!

I'm also interested in this. Been drooling over an HD with a non slide camper. Wouldn't mind a hallmark everest  or outfitter but they are pretty damn expensive for a pop up. Might be able to find a used one though but they are few and far between.  I haven't bought my truck yet but would like to stay at the 2500 gasser preferably, but I can go 3500 if I feel like my options are too limited.

I looked at the wolf creeks. You can probably load it if your careful with the options, but from what i have calculated it will be too heavy for a big horn trim level 2500. However, I'm the type that's conservative with weight since I'd rather have too much truck and not have to cut my toothbrush in half.

redman4455 said:
I'm also interested in this. Been drooling over an HD with a non slide camper. Wouldn't mind a hallmark everest  or outfitter but they are pretty damn expensive for a pop up. Might be able to find a used one though but they are few and far between.  I haven't bought my truck yet but would like to stay at the 2500 gasser preferably, but I can go 3500 if I feel like my options are too limited.

I looked at the wolf creeks. You can probably load it if your careful with the options, but from what i have calculated it will be too heavy for a big horn trim level 2500. However, I'm the type that's conservative with weight since I'd rather have too much truck and not have to cut my toothbrush in half.
You can get a 3500 SRW for only slightly more than a 2500 and the extra capacity will be well appreciated.  Take a look at the Cummins Diesel too.  You will get better fuel economy, better torque, a very effective engine brake and much higher resale value.

gravesdiesel said:
You can get a 3500 SRW for only slightly more than a 2500 and the extra capacity will be well appreciated.  Take a look at the Cummins Diesel too.  You will get better fuel economy, better torque, a very effective engine brake and much higher resale value.

I'd love a 3500 mega srw, but the crews are nice too.  Sometimes it's a want vs need thing that I fight with. I'll probably end up with the 3500 lol.

I am looking to put something in the bed of my 2015 2500 Chevy and have zeroed in on only the pop-up campers like Northern Star, Phoenix, etc.  Not quite as much in terms of storage, but they can be loaded pretty good with options also including decent wet baths.  Phoenix does totally custom builds, no cookie cutter stuff like the other camper manufacturers.  You tell them exactly what you want, where you want it, how you want it to look.  every detail of the camper is user defined. 

That's a option.  Not the ideal thing for the year round full timer probably.  And the popups have some pretty good 3 season insulation packages, like Northern Star.  And the better makers of these things don't use goofy roof TPO, PVC, etc stuff like the travel trailer and some hard side campers use.  Most are one piece fiberglass or aluminum caps.    But the wind problems are significantly less with a pop up and if one does any kind of serious boondocking, the lower center of gravity makes getting in and out of rough areas easier. 

Diesel vs gas is always a never ending debate.  It all depends on where one runs and how they do it.  For me, it is about cost to operate. My 2500 gasser, it has been on E85 fuel for well over a year now.  Cost is typically 80-90 cents a gallon cheaper that regular E10 and well over $1 cheaper than regular no ethanol.  And half the price of diesel. Currently $1.63 a gallon for me where I live.  I have diesel stuff for my business, but my pickup is a flex fuel gasser.  I love having a smorgasbord of fuels to choose from to get the best value.  For the cost per mile, even with the significantly lower mpg of E85, a diesel pickup would have average.... for all miles.... well over 23 mpg just to break even on the cost per mile for my average mpg.  Not going to happen any time soon.

There is indeed a place for diesel, and if one is hitting all those benchmarks in what they are doing, then diesel is a good choice.  But it is not the savior of mankind and not the best choice all the time.  I think for some, it is more of a perceived status symbol than an actual need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom