Michelin Tire Advantage - MAjoR disappointment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OSUTRIKERS

Was going to use program thru FMCA however in registering credit card (first step) I find they do not accept Discover card.  This is a Michelin issue, not FMCA.  But they do accept American Express! Oh really, more use that than Discover... I think not.  I guess the Michelin folks and AE folks are in good together. 

I just put 4 Hercules on my MH. I had put 2 on 2 years ago and was very happy with them. One tire on the balancer took no weight and the rest of the tires were well within the normal range for 22.5 tires and they were much cheaper than Michelin's and they ride very smooth. Some will tell you not to buy Chinese tires but I know that Hercules is what is being put on the buses that run to Key West every day with no problems also a lot of trucks are using the Hercules.

i am sure there is a monetary reason they have one and not the other. i find a lot more places take my american express than my discover card and even more take visa.

Well I have my reasons for not carrying a Discover card.. But not subject to discussion.

I would like to know how the program works in detail
I know you register your card
Get an estimate/quote
Then what.  I'd like a full DETAILED description and it woudl be best if it came from someone doing it

Info I want
Every Setp
Every charge
Every price quote
And what wound up on the Cridit card statement (or Debit card statement)

Double points if it's a 22.5 XRV

Put Sumitomos on a year ago at less than $1,700 all up.  Probably $1,000 to $2,000 less than comparable size Michilens.  We've only put about 4,000 miles on the tires but so far no problem.  On previous motorhome, we put on Hankooks.  That was in 2014.  So three years earlier but $400 more expensive.  Think Hankooks have been gaining in reputation which is causing their prices to go up.  Have no idea if Michelins would improve ride and I'm not going to buy a set to find out. 

Current motorhome has 22.5".  Previous had 19.5". 

John, I?m still in the process, but just using the guidelines listed under FMCA,
1. Get online quote on tires which is emailed to you showing price difference between buying outright versus thru program.
2. Find a dealer that honors the Michelin Advantage program.
3. Regeister your credit card that will be used.
4. Go to dealer and complete the job, pay with said card, receive invoice later.
5. Labor is separate.

From the animated show "Furturama", where Fry is now living 1000 years in the future:

Fry: "Do you take Visa?" Clerk: "Visa hasn't existed for five hundred years." Fry: "American Express?" Clerk: "Six hundred years." Fry: "Discover Card?" Clerk: "Hmm...sorry, we don't take Discover."

I've had a Discover card for 30+ years and seldom encounter a place that doesn't accept it. Have Visa too, so no worries. I dumped my AmEx card long ago, and my Diner's Club as well.

The Michelin Advantage set-up is also used by fleet buyers and AmEX has an commercial accounts program geared to small businesses and larger ones that issue cards to employees with buying responsibilities.  I suspect Michelin needed to accommodate them with AmEX, whereas Discover has always been a consumer card.

I just got a quote for six new tires.  Toyo was about $1,000 less than Michelin with the FMCA discount.  I am running Toyos now and I have no problem with them.

I?m pretty sure Michelin is aware of their pricing disadvantage in the US. After all, most of the rubber that goes into US tires is made in the United States. Also, almost all of their tires, including agricultural and aircraft sold in the US, are manufactured at multiple plants in the United States. Their newest rubber manufacturing capacity is coming in the form of a brand new plant in Indonesia. Doesnt take rocket science to figure out what most likely will come next. Hard to argue with quality tires that cost 2/3 of US manufactured tires, and employee wages about 25% of what Michelin pays in the US. Yet, in those countries those employees are towards the top of the food chain pay-wise compared to their fellow countrymen. Happy employees, happy consumers. Hard combination to beat.

Boonieman said:
I?m pretty sure Michelin is aware of their pricing disadvantage in the US. After all, most of the rubber that goes into US tires is made in the United States. Also, almost all of their tires, including agricultural and aircraft sold in the US, are manufactured at multiple plants in the United States. Their newest rubber manufacturing capacity is coming in the form of a brand new plant in Indonesia. Doesnt take rocket science to figure out what most likely will come next. Hard to argue with quality tires that cost 2/3 of US manufactured tires, and employee wages about 25% of what Michelin pays in the US. Yet, in those countries those employees are towards the top of the food chain pay-wise compared to their fellow countrymen. Happy employees, happy consumers. Hard combination to beat.

Haven't seen a Michelin tire that fits a MH yet that was made in the USA. Sweden and France, but NO USA.

I dont recall referring to MH in my post, I was referring to pricing disadvantage of Michelin tires, which seemed to where the general direction of the thread was going.  This is an RV forum and many kinds of RV?s are out there. I?m using Goodyears on my RV because I couldn?t get the size/rating from Michelin. I?m so sick of getting hammered on here from some faceless person on a keypad. Happy trails to all the folks on here I have had some great conversations with and that have helped me. I?m out.

Your info may be invalid or out of date, Charlie.  From what I read, the Michelin Spartanburg (SC) plant produces nothing but truck & bus tires.  You would have to look at each specific size & type to  be sure.  I don't own any Michelins and haven't since 2006, so cannot verify myself.

johnaye said:
I just got a quote for six new tires.  Toyo was about $1,000 less than Michelin with the FMCA discount.  I am running Toyos now and I have no problem with them.
Have not checked the Discount yet but full price
Michelin 3700 (Installed, 700 more than my Credit card can handle if I Zero i out)

Toyo 2400 Guess what's going on

Boonieman said:
I?m so sick of getting hammered on here from some faceless person on a keypad. Happy trails to all the folks on here I have had some great conversations with and that have helped me. I?m out.
Clearly I missed something. Too bad. I kinda liked the guy!

Even Michelin makes tires in China. They have a big plant in Shenyang, China that employees over 3000 people. It produces Tires for cars, utility vehicles, 4x4, SUVs / Truck tires.
Here is the difference "QUALITY CONTROL"
Buy cheap of brand or house brand tires with no one keeping the Chinese honest then you have a problem. BUy from a reputable company that has a physical presence at the factory assuring quality then less problems

Michelin site
https://www.michelin.com/eng/michelin-group/organization/facilities/(continent)/959/(country)/1014#map-anchor

Based upon my experiences with Michelins I'm not going to buy them at any price.  Switched to Sumitomo over a year ago.

I recently priced six new tires.  The difference between Michelin and Toyo is about $1,000 out the door.  This is with FMCA pricing.  I will be going with Toyo

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom