Cell Booster for RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickmick

Has anyone had success with a cell booster in their RV for helping to get cell coverage in desolate areas?  If so, what unit are you using please?

mickmick said:

Has anyone had success with a cell booster in their RV for helping to get cell coverage in desolate areas?  If so, what unit are you using please?

Yes.  Very useful device if you boondock.  I have a Uniden unit, which typically offers 10x the boost of the Wilson Cellular units.

https://unidencellular.ca/shop?gclid=CjwKCAjw68zZBRAnEiwACw0eYXiPYsvXOp8P_8K97IA-ccWp0Q78gwNCHf9e8vYtatl5seNRD_amZxoCKncQAvD_BwE

The model we have has several DIP switches on the end that attenuates the signal according to the band being used (LTE, AWS, CDMA, PCS).  If you get too much boost you can get feedback between input antenna and output antenna.  Kind of like the 'squeal' you get when a microphone 'feeds back' through a sound system.  Cellular feedback you won't hear, but it will cause the booster some problems, so being able to 'tune it out' is a good feature.

Some things you should understand:

1) The boosted signal they offer only works within a foot or two of the output antenna.  Your cellular device has to be located physically close to the output antenna to benefit from the boosted signal.  However, you don't want to stand personally close to that output antenna, or YOU get the boosted signal.  The jury is out on how damaging that is, but I prefer to avoid it. 

We have a Mifi device that we put physically close to the output antenna, then let that Mifi provide a Wifi hotspot signal that our other devices can use within a decent distance.  For making a cellular telephone call, I have found no solution other than to hold the phone physically close to the output antenna.

2) Placement of the input antenna and the output antenna can be an issue.  If you have them too close together, you will get cellular feedback and reduce the effectiveness of your system.

For this reason, I chose a very directional Yagi type input antenna, and mounted it to the same mast as my TV antenna.  This has a dual advantage:

A) The Yagi antenna only 'looks' for cellular signal along the horizon in the direction that it is pointed.  It is less likely to pick up the amplified signal coming from the output antenna.  This is especially so if you mount it physically directly above the output antenna.  The Yagi never looks 'down', and therefore is less likely to pick up the boosted signal and 'feed back'. 

B) Having the Yagi input antenna mounted on the TV mast means that (in most cases) you can rotate the TV antenna mast, and the Yagi with it, to get the best signal.  There are several apps that are available for mobile devices the will help you aim the Yagi at the nearest cell tower.

Hope this helps.  Post back if any clarification is needed.

Frank.

One of the features of our MaxAmp RV booster is that the inside antenna send and receives the cell signal within the full length of our coach, and even in the awning coverage area outside. The levels do drop off at the extremes of course, but we get good signals anywhere in the coach that we reasonably want them.

NY_Dutch said:
One of the features of our MaxAmp RV booster is that the inside antenna send and receives the cell signal within the full length of our coach, and even in the awning coverage area outside. The levels do drop off at the extremes of course, but we get good signals anywhere in the coach that we reasonably want them.

You say you get signal everywhere you need it.  Wifi or cellular?

We found that boosted cellular does not travel that far, so we put a Mifi device close to the cellular booster, and then use the Wifi for the other devices.  Wifi does travel.  Also means that we only require ONE SIM to provide signals for all our devices.

Frank.

Frank B said:
You say you get signal everywhere you need it.  Wifi or cellular?

We found that boosted cellular does not travel that far, so we put a Mifi device close to the cellular booster, and then use the Wifi for the other devices.  Wifi does travel.  Also means that we only require ONE SIM to provide signals for all our devices.

Frank.

I'm referring to the boosted cell signal from the MaxAmp. Our AT&T Mobley hotspot is normally only a few feet from the MaxAmp antenna, and the WiFi signal from that reaches the entire coach as well. Our Verizon Jetpack hotspot is usually about 15 feet from the MaxAmp antenna, and also gets a good cell signal from the MaxAmp in poor native signal areas, and has a WiFi signal that also reaches the entire coach. Our hotspots usually stay in one spot, but our phones move around quite a bit within the coach of course, always with a good cell signal from the MaxAmp.

I'm referring to the boosted cell signal from the MaxAmp.

Interesting....

What are you using for an output antenna on the MaxAmp, and how is it oriented to give you that kind of coverage without cellular feedback?  Our Uniden has a simple whip antenna.

Frank.

Our interior MaxAmp antenna is a "low profile  ceiling antenna" with a relatively flat omni-directional radiation pattern. In our coach, I have the inside antenna mounted near the front of the coach offset to the passenger side, and the external magnetic antenna is mounted on a steel ground plane I installed on top of the bedroom A/C near the rear of the coach. I'm currently using a beta version of a new omni-directional low profile antenna instead of the supplied magnetic "whip" style antenna.

https://www.maximumsignal.net/store/max-amp-rv/

Our interior MaxAmp antenna is a "low profile  ceiling antenna" with a relatively flat omni-directional radiation pattern.

Ah.  That makes sense.  I'll have to try one of those.  Should work well with our Yagi roof mount if I keep the interior antenna below the 'see level' of the Yagi - which probably means right under it.

The metal ground plane under your outside antenna is a great idea for keeping the interior / exterior signals from overlapping.  I had considered the same thing, but went for the more directional and higher gain Yagi as we often camp in fringe areas.

Thanks!

My ground plane is only 12" x 18", so I doubt it contributes much to the antenna isolation. There's no technical need for it to be that big for this application, it was just a scrap piece that I had in my spares.

I have a yagi I can use if needed, but so far the omni has worked quite well even in areas where our phones show no service without the Max turned on, and even the carriers maps show no service. There has to be some signal of course, for the amp to work with, but the Max has a receiver sensitivity that's higher than many other amps and most cell phones I understand. We use our Internet service quite a bit while underway, so the omni is a much better choice for that usage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom