rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: sorry about asking  (Read 2126 times)

jr brown

• ---
sorry about asking
« on: June 20, 2018, 03:44:28 PM »
I brought  up about caring handguns will traveling and camping . I did not want to get everyone upset about the subject. Someone asked if we ever needed a gun while traveling and camping. Yes we have my wife was glad I had my weapon with me. People get upset about someone carrying a weapon in public. Well let me say I have been trained by one of Americas best a friend who is a retired navy seal. I probably shoot better than most police officers. I not taking anything away from our polices officers because they have very good training also. Some one stated that they did not want to be around people who are carrying.  My only comment if you were being held by gun point I bet you wished I would come to your resque.

Memtb

• ---
Re: sorry about asking
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »
   I feel exactly the same way! I wish that those that are opposed to my carrying....would carry signs identifying themselves. So....I wouldn’t put my life, finances, and freedom at risk,defending them in an “ugly” situation
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

Oscar Mike

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 04:03:18 PM »
I see it as a very personal choice with great consequences if used improperly, or in a moment of passion, but it may also save your bacon. Do I carry? Only I know the answer to that question...

Jomo

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 04:09:39 PM »
There was nothing wrong with your question.  Don't worry about it.
Jo & Jim
2007 Gulfstream Friendship 41' DP
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
Full time since June 2016
Home Base- Traverse City MI

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:33:25 PM »
There was nothing wrong with the original question in the other 'hand guns' topic, but the discussion turned personal, a couple of messages had to be moved out of sight, and the topic locked by a forum staffer. What we saw was an example of why our original forum members requested/agreed not to allow discussion of firearms, religion or politics, preferring to maintain harmonious discussion; All three of these subjects can quickly go into a downward spiral.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ghostman

• ---
  • Jarrod,
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 04:42:40 PM »
Your original question had nothing to do with what happened. I choose to stay out of the discussions when they go that way. No body is going to change anyone's views. If the subject title had not been what it was some people would not have even opened it. They look for a place to voice there opinions that had nothing to do with the question.
“Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God.”

2016 Forest River Berkshire XL
2006 modified Jeep Grand Cherokee

No need to travel the world when there is so much to see here.

Tom Hoffman

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 04:42:55 PM »
I am a former Marine.  I have not touched a weapon in 48 years, about 6 years ago we started traveling and at the time, I thought about it but never mentioned it to my wife, honestly didn't know what her thoughts would be about it.

This past winter, my wife all of a sudden asked what I thought about getting weapons and carrying.  We were in Yuma AZ and you see people OPEN caring all the time is stores, movie houses, restaurants, pretty much everywhere.

So we decided to take a class at Sprague's in Yuma and passed.

One place we do not go into is Convenience Stores, we stay out of them as they are robbed often  in Yuma.

Did we get weapons and do we carry?  As Bugs Bunny was wont to say,  "Nyeah' could be!"

:) :) :) :)
Wife said to me. "What cha doin' today?"  "Nothin'" says I.  "Ya did that yestiday!" Says she.  "I didn't get done!" says I

2003 F-350 Super Duty Lariat Dually 7.3 Diesel
2008 34' Sunny Brook, Brookside

KandT

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 04:58:59 PM »
Not a comment on firearms but safety. 

One place we do not go into is Convenience Stores, we stay out of them as they are robbed often  in Yuma.

In my opinion, this is one of the smartest things we can all do to be safe.  If you know an area is known for trouble stay away - find out what a campsite is like before getting there. 

Personally, I try to stay off the roads when a drunk driver would be more likely to be on them, stay off the roads when it snows (except the ER, nothing is worth it) and just use good sense.  Don't pick a fight with that aggressive driver etc. 

I figure they can all fight and run into each other.  Now that I am safely minding my own business, I wouldn't recommend robbing me. ;)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »
Don’t be sorry about asking. You can ask anything you want here. I asked if folks prefer folding or wading toilet paper. I also asked if they prefer crunchy or smooth peanut butter. Bear in mind that when you ask you might not get the answer you expected. Opinions are like butts; everybody has one and they all stink. For the most part we have a good time on this forum and sometimes we accidentally learn something. Happy Camping!
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
Not a gun owner but glad there are RVers that keep a weapon handy.  Thought about it for many years but think I'm a bit over the hill to start.  Besides, I'd probably do more harm to myself and family than the bad guys.  So we'll stick to our old method.  If it does feel good, we move on. 
Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
IMO your question and the topic was fine.  Unfortunately some folk have issues having polite discussions.

Hope you got some useful information.

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
   I feel exactly the same way! I wish that those that are opposed to my carrying....would carry signs identifying themselves. So....I wouldn’t put my life, finances, and freedom at risk,defending them in an “ugly” situation
How many times has this happened to you that you had to help a fellow human being with your weapon?
BTW I have a firearm in my rig as well
1990 Fleetwood Southwind on P30 chassis located in
Central NY in summer and beautiful Casa Grande AZ in winter

Dance Chick

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2018, 02:53:45 PM »
Well, I've got to say that reading this thread piqued my interest in the thread that was closed as I originally didn't read it. It is not
a topic that I would gravitate to. With the exception of a few posts that seemed to dangerously cross a line, I found it interesting to read.

No apology necessary. I don't know why some people haven't realized that they aren't gong to change anyone's viewpoint on these forums.

Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog-but don't tell him)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox towing/Air Force One braking
"And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance."

gravesdiesel

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
No need to apologize.  I carry and nobody ever knows it.  I believe in "dont ask, dont tell" and nobody will ever know I have it on me unless the need arises.  I have used my CCW to kill a couple snakes, a possum and a raccoon when out and about on my farm.
2016 KZ Spree 262 RKS
2003 Dodge 3500 4 door flatbed 4x4 diesel, 6 speed
1996 Dodge 3500 extra cab flatbed 4x4 diesel 5 speed
2006 Arctic Cat TRV diesel 4x4 ATV
(2) 1981 Yamaha G1 2 cycle golf carts
Many other diesels on the farm!

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
How many times has this happened to you that you had to help a fellow human being with your weapon?
BTW I have a firearm in my rig as well

Just the opposite in one case where another person affected the hasty retreat a several persons intent on doing me harm late one night while stopped at a railroad crossing. A truck driver next to me stepped out of his truck with a firearm and the four gentlemen returned to their vehicle....
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

rls7201

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
When I was in my CCW class, every other word from the instructor was "avoidance".  I follow that suggestion at all times, if possible. I only hope that all the rounds I squeeze off are on the range.

Gwbeech

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »
Ever since I got robbed in my driveway we don't go anywhere without my gun.
Always have one in the rv.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 07:48:08 PM by Gwbeech »

Willandgiselarv

• ---
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2018, 12:14:43 AM »
When I first started RV ing I did not carry, but after the 1st year I have one in RV when we travel and wife approves of it.
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 06:02:18 AM »
I have never felt the need to own a gun. Traveled all over the US. Lived in 13 States and been to or through the rest of them. Spent the night at rest stops, Walmart’s and many gas stations. If it makes you feel safer to have a gun handy then that’s probably what you should do. I hope you never think you have to use it in your future endeavors. Once you do, you can never take it back.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Gods Country

• ---
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
It's not so much a question of needing it, or even feeling it's necessary.  It's a tool like anything else.  A tool that can be used or not.  But option A only exists if you have it.   As already stated avoidance is key.  That includes road rage, arguments, and other daily occurrences that can escalate.  For the most part those that carry tend to understand this and are friendly people.

RossWilliams

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2018, 11:03:14 AM »
If I am being held at gunpoint, the last thing I want is some yahoo with a gun coming to "rescue" my wallet. He's more likely to get me killed than "save" me. 

For some people having a gun is like a kid with their teddy bear, it makes them feel safer. That's fine. But the evidence is that the person who wins a gun fight is usually the one who finds good cover, not the one who is the better shot.  Instead of imagining yourself shooting at someone who is threatening you, imagine yourself taking fire from someone who sees you as a threat. 

That assumes they really ARE a threat. On TV, the music tells you who is the good guy and the good guy usually wins. In real life, the difference between a good guy with a gun and a a bad guy with a gun is not so obvious and the bad guy usually has the advantage since he doesn't care. The result is that the good guy rarely wins.

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2018, 11:10:59 AM »
Matching response to the threat is the most important and some people do not have that capability. They might let things escalate to a point where someone gets killed.
For example I have a firearm but I also have Bear Spray and WASP killer. My response will be in tune with the threat. The Bear Spray and Wasp killer are with us whenever we are out of the rig.  I will not shoot someone or Bear Spray them in the middle of the night should they be stealing lets say a camp chair. Let them have it. Some people would shoot. If you are trying to break in the threat gets escalated and if I have time I will discharge the Bear Spray otherwise I will protect myself with more force.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
If I am being held at gunpoint, the last thing I want is some yahoo with a gun coming to "rescue" my wallet. He's more likely to get me killed than "save" me. 

For some people having a gun is like a kid with their teddy bear, it makes them feel safer. That's fine. But the evidence is that the person who wins a gun fight is usually the one who finds good cover, not the one who is the better shot.  Instead of imagining yourself shooting at someone who is threatening you, imagine yourself taking fire from someone who sees you as a threat. 

That assumes they really ARE a threat. On TV, the music tells you who is the good guy and the good guy usually wins. In real life, the difference between a good guy with a gun and a a bad guy with a gun is not so obvious and the bad guy usually has the advantage since he doesn't care. The result is that the good guy rarely wins.

There is absolutely no truth in that highlighted statement you made.  It happens quite frequently, it just doesn't get or make the headlines.  There are reasons for those stories NOT making the news, but I'm not going there as I will not be the one that turns this discussion into a political football.
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

FenderP

• ---
  • Non Omnis Moriar
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2018, 11:22:22 AM »
". . . imagine yourself taking fire from someone who sees you as a threat."  --Sad to say the number of us who do not have to "imagine" that is growing rapidly.
I'd rather you offend me with the truth than appease me with a lie.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
Matching response to the threat is the most important and some people do not have that capability. They might let things escalate to a point where someone gets killed.
For example I have a firearm but I also have Bear Spray and WASP killer. My response will be in tune with the threat. The Bear Spray and Wasp killer are with us whenever we are out of the rig.  I will not shoot someone or Bear Spray them in the middle of the night should they be stealing lets say a camp chair. Let them have it. Some people would shoot. If you are trying to break in the threat gets escalated and if I have time I will discharge the Bear Spray otherwise I will protect myself with more force.

Owning and carrying a weapon brings an incredible amount of responsibility to the table.  Every permit class tries to emphasize that.  A weapon should NEVER be drawn unless there is an immenent threat to your life or the life of your loved ones....or the threat of severe bodily injury.  Someone stealing your property outside your house/camper/barn/whatever DOES NOT fulfill the justification for using a weapon. 

darsben

• ---
  • Retired seeing the USA
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »
Owning and carrying a weapon brings an incredible amount of responsibility to the table.  Every permit class tries to emphasize that.  A weapon should NEVER be drawn unless there is an immenent threat to your life or the life of your loved ones....or the threat of severe bodily injury.  Someone stealing your property outside your house/camper/barn/whatever DOES NOT fulfill the justification for using a weapon.
By let themm have it I meant let them take the stuff. Hope no one misunderstood

garyb1st

• ---
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
My family has never owned guns.  Still, I have thought of buying one from time to time.  The last time I read an article written by an expert.  Didn't save the article but it opened my eyes to a number of things. 

Number one is the actual act of shooting someone.  According to the author, it's not the same as going to the range and shooting a target.  It's not even close.  And in some cases, even if you hit the perp, he may not go down.  And if he doesn't, and keeps coming, he may take your gun, assuming he isn't armed himself, and shoot you. 

Number two is the choice of weapon.  Not all guns will get the job done.  The caliber of the weapon will be one of the deciding factors.  Don't fully appreciate that but recall it had to do with control of the weapon.  Apparently some have quite a kick. 

I'm not against gun ownership.  It's a personal decision and hope we always have the right.  I just hope that those who do own a weapon, but do not have law enforcement, military or related background, do not think owning a weapon for target practice or hunting qualifies themselves to engage in situations when alternatives are available.   

In any event, I'll hope to continue enjoying the good life, RVing whenever, wherever, for many more moons. 

Gary B1st

2005 Pace Arrow 35G
2016 Jeep Wrangler

Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2018, 12:18:33 PM »
By let themm have it I meant let them take the stuff. Hope no one misunderstood

I understood exactly what you are talking about and my post was to basically confirm what you stated.  Unfortunately some folks that take the carry class just simply do not let that part soak in....the part about imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2018, 12:45:21 PM »
My family has never owned guns.  Still, I have thought of buying one from time to time.  The last time I read an article written by an expert.  Didn't save the article but it opened my eyes to a number of things. 

Number one is the actual act of shooting someone.  According to the author, it's not the same as going to the range and shooting a target.  It's not even close.  And in some cases, even if you hit the perp, he may not go down.  And if he doesn't, and keeps coming, he may take your gun, assuming he isn't armed himself, and shoot you. 

Number two is the choice of weapon.  Not all guns will get the job done.  The caliber of the weapon will be one of the deciding factors.  Don't fully appreciate that but recall it had to do with control of the weapon.  Apparently some have quite a kick. 

I'm not against gun ownership.  It's a personal decision and hope we always have the right.  I just hope that those who do own a weapon, but do not have law enforcement, military or related background, do not think owning a weapon for target practice or hunting qualifies themselves to engage in situations when alternatives are available.   

In any event, I'll hope to continue enjoying the good life, RVing whenever, wherever, for many more moons.

There are many factors involved in using a weapon for self defense.  First and foremost, you always do whatever is possible to avoid the confrontation.  Secondly, you must be of the mindset that you are ready, willing, capable, and able to draw your weapon and shoot it to defend your life and or the lives of your loved ones.  If you do not have the mental fortitude to do that, you are wasting your time and possibly putting yourself and your family at an even higher risk.  The debate over Caliber size, revolver vs. semi auto, concealed carry vs. open carry, is like an oil thread debate....which oil is best for my <<<fill in the blank>>>.  The most effective weapon is the one that you can shoot with accuracy, consistency, and reliably.  Those factors are dependant in part on the gun and the ammo and also on YOU.  Don't expect to be proficient if you never practice with the gun AND the ammo that you carry in that gun.  A high level of situational awareness is always something that everyone should practice.  That, in and of itself will serve to keep you away from a dangerous situation many times.  It also serves to help keep you prepared and ready in case there really isn't a way to avoid a confrontation that may have lethal consequences.  As I stated earlier, there is a huge responsibility in all of this, and you can choose to educate yourself, train regularly, and be prepared....or you can be the person with a permit that probably really shouldn't have one.

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2018, 12:59:56 PM »
     xrated, A well said and accurate description, without unbridled emotion.....concerning the topic!   👍
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C