sorry about asking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jr brown

I brought  up about caring handguns will traveling and camping . I did not want to get everyone upset about the subject. Someone asked if we ever needed a gun while traveling and camping. Yes we have my wife was glad I had my weapon with me. People get upset about someone carrying a weapon in public. Well let me say I have been trained by one of Americas best a friend who is a retired navy seal. I probably shoot better than most police officers. I not taking anything away from our polices officers because they have very good training also. Some one stated that they did not want to be around people who are carrying.  My only comment if you were being held by gun point I bet you wished I would come to your resque.

I feel exactly the same way! I wish that those that are opposed to my carrying....would carry signs identifying themselves. So....I wouldn?t put my life, finances, and freedom at risk,defending them in an ?ugly? situation

I see it as a very personal choice with great consequences if used improperly, or in a moment of passion, but it may also save your bacon. Do I carry? Only I know the answer to that question...

There was nothing wrong with the original question in the other 'hand guns' topic, but the discussion turned personal, a couple of messages had to be moved out of sight, and the topic locked by a forum staffer. What we saw was an example of why our original forum members requested/agreed not to allow discussion of firearms, religion or politics, preferring to maintain harmonious discussion; All three of these subjects can quickly go into a downward spiral.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

Your original question had nothing to do with what happened. I choose to stay out of the discussions when they go that way. No body is going to change anyone's views. If the subject title had not been what it was some people would not have even opened it. They look for a place to voice there opinions that had nothing to do with the question.

I am a former Marine.  I have not touched a weapon in 48 years, about 6 years ago we started traveling and at the time, I thought about it but never mentioned it to my wife, honestly didn't know what her thoughts would be about it.

This past winter, my wife all of a sudden asked what I thought about getting weapons and carrying.  We were in Yuma AZ and you see people OPEN caring all the time is stores, movie houses, restaurants, pretty much everywhere.

So we decided to take a class at Sprague's in Yuma and passed.

One place we do not go into is Convenience Stores, we stay out of them as they are robbed often  in Yuma.

Did we get weapons and do we carry?  As Bugs Bunny was wont to say,  "Nyeah' could be!"

:) :) :) :)

Not a comment on firearms but safety. 
Tom Hoffman said:
One place we do not go into is Convenience Stores, we stay out of them as they are robbed often  in Yuma.

In my opinion, this is one of the smartest things we can all do to be safe.  If you know an area is known for trouble stay away - find out what a campsite is like before getting there. 

Personally, I try to stay off the roads when a drunk driver would be more likely to be on them, stay off the roads when it snows (except the ER, nothing is worth it) and just use good sense.  Don't pick a fight with that aggressive driver etc. 

I figure they can all fight and run into each other.  Now that I am safely minding my own business, I wouldn't recommend robbing me. ;)

Don?t be sorry about asking. You can ask anything you want here. I asked if folks prefer folding or wading toilet paper. I also asked if they prefer crunchy or smooth peanut butter. Bear in mind that when you ask you might not get the answer you expected. Opinions are like butts; everybody has one and they all stink. For the most part we have a good time on this forum and sometimes we accidentally learn something. Happy Camping!

Not a gun owner but glad there are RVers that keep a weapon handy.  Thought about it for many years but think I'm a bit over the hill to start.  Besides, I'd probably do more harm to myself and family than the bad guys.  So we'll stick to our old method.  If it does feel good, we move on. 

IMO your question and the topic was fine.  Unfortunately some folk have issues having polite discussions.

Hope you got some useful information.

Memtb said:
  I feel exactly the same way! I wish that those that are opposed to my carrying....would carry signs identifying themselves. So....I wouldn?t put my life, finances, and freedom at risk,defending them in an ?ugly? situation
How many times has this happened to you that you had to help a fellow human being with your weapon?
BTW I have a firearm in my rig as well

Well, I've got to say that reading this thread piqued my interest in the thread that was closed as I originally didn't read it. It is not
a topic that I would gravitate to. With the exception of a few posts that seemed to dangerously cross a line, I found it interesting to read.

No apology necessary. I don't know why some people haven't realized that they aren't gong to change anyone's viewpoint on these forums.

No need to apologize.  I carry and nobody ever knows it.  I believe in "dont ask, dont tell" and nobody will ever know I have it on me unless the need arises.  I have used my CCW to kill a couple snakes, a possum and a raccoon when out and about on my farm.

darsben said:
How many times has this happened to you that you had to help a fellow human being with your weapon?
BTW I have a firearm in my rig as well

Just the opposite in one case where another person affected the hasty retreat a several persons intent on doing me harm late one night while stopped at a railroad crossing. A truck driver next to me stepped out of his truck with a firearm and the four gentlemen returned to their vehicle....

When I was in my CCW class, every other word from the instructor was "avoidance".  I follow that suggestion at all times, if possible. I only hope that all the rounds I squeeze off are on the range.

Ever since I got robbed in my driveway we don't go anywhere without my gun.
Always have one in the rv.

I have never felt the need to own a gun. Traveled all over the US. Lived in 13 States and been to or through the rest of them. Spent the night at rest stops, Walmart?s and many gas stations. If it makes you feel safer to have a gun handy then that?s probably what you should do. I hope you never think you have to use it in your future endeavors. Once you do, you can never take it back.

It's not so much a question of needing it, or even feeling it's necessary.  It's a tool like anything else.  A tool that can be used or not.  But option A only exists if you have it.  As already stated avoidance is key.  That includes road rage, arguments, and other daily occurrences that can escalate.  For the most part those that carry tend to understand this and are friendly people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom