Guns - the rest of the story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Optimistic Paranoid

I didn't want to hijack jr brown's current thread by going slightly off track.

He mentioned that he had been trained by a retired Navy Seal.  I certainly mean no offense to his friend, but there are currently a LOT of ex-military types offering such training.  The problem can be that they've spent their entire professional lives operating under a set of Rules of Engagement that differ markedly from what we civilians can follow, and many of them are not necessarily the best people to teach you the fine points of WHEN to shoot, no matter how good they can teach HOW to shoot.

If you haven't had the right training in WHEN to shoot, you're only half trained.

I'm going to offer a couple of unsolicited suggestions.  I do so as a guy who worked as an armored car guard for a number of years, and who spent a lot of his own time and money training with some of the best known names in the firearms training community.

Massad Ayoob is hands down the best trainer alive on the fine points of when to shoot and how to survive the legal aftermath.  Many, many cops and lawyers train with him, and they all say they learned more from him than they did at the police academy or law school.  (and, yes, I'm a proud graduate of several of Mas's classes)

https://massadayoobgroup.com/

The Armed Citizen's Legal Defense Network is another great resource.  Their monthly newsletter is a must read.  (They've got 10 years worth of back-issues available to members on their web site.)  And their Boots on the Ground plan is absolutely essential to surviving the legal aftermath of a self defense shooting that might otherwise ruin your life. (and yes,I am a member)

https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Hope I've given you all something to think about.

[quote author=Optimistic Paranoid]I didn't want to hijack jr brown's current thread by going slightly off track.[/quote]

You did  ;)
          :))

This is not a gun forum and it's not just Americans who use this forum. Therefore gun topics don't belong here. Regardless of your point of  view.

Gun discussions belong here as much as 4x4, fishing, boating, crafts, photography, etc.  People like to have civlized discussions about RVing and guns which makes perfect sense.

Guns, as they pertain to RV owners and whether or not they choose to have one as they are traveling, in my opinion is a topic that should be allowed to be discussed here.  Most of these threads initially involve someone wanting to know the legality of bringing a gun with them when travelling, usually state to state.  Unfortunately, many times the theme or topic of that thread evolves into a discussion about pro gun vs. anti gun which of course then becomes a discussion about politics or even a person's view of the morality of carrying a gun....which then gets the thread closed.

To many of us, taking a gun along for personal protection is as much a part of "going camping" as making sure you have a spare tire, plenty of fuel, and everything you need for the trip.  In most gun owner's eyes, having a gun with you is analogous to having insurance for yourself, your truck, and your trailer....or coach.  You always have it, but you also hope you NEVER, EVER need it!  If those folks that DON'T feel the need to own or carry a weapon would stay out of the thread instead of preaching the "evils" of gun ownership or carrying, the thread would most likely continue along with folks sharing their knowledge about gun laws and restrictions in certain place/locations AND, more importantly, the thread would become a source of information for those that need or want it.....instead of a political discussion or a morality discussion.  If someone started a thread about how to repair a problem with their diesel engine in their truck, should that turn into a discussion about "what's the best engine for my tow vehicle....gas or diesel" which then might become a discussion of "why is diesel fuel so expensive" which then turns into "the Democrats or the Republicans are responsible for that....it's Obama,'s fault"!  You see where I'm going with this?  My suggestion is this.....if you have ZERO information about the topic at hand....guns, diesel engines, electrical repair, UFOs......stay out out of the thread instead of posting crap that is off topic AND will cause someone to take the bait and respond and cause a once legitimate thread to spiral down the drain and get locked.

OBX said:
Gun discussions belong here as much as 4x4, fishing, boating, crafts, photography, etc.  People like to have civlized discussions about RVing and guns which makes perfect sense.

quite true.

I trained some years ago in martial arts and it's quite effective against humans with or without handguns
.. however, it doesn't work too well on large bears. ! therefore I carry a shotgun and bear slugs for wildlife protection,
you rarely miss with a shotgun..

steveblonde said:
This is not a gun forum and it's not just Americans who use this forum. Therefore gun topics don't belong here. Regardless of your point of  view.

:-[

OBX said:

xrated said:
Guns, as they pertain to RV owners and whether or not they choose to have one as they are traveling, in my opinion is a topic that should be allowed to be discussed here.  Most of these threads initially involve someone wanting to know the legality of bringing a gun with them when travelling, usually state to state.  Unfortunately, many times the theme or topic of that thread evolves into a discussion about pro gun vs. anti gun which of course then becomes a discussion about politics or even a person's view of the morality of carrying a gun....which then gets the thread closed.

To many of us, taking a gun along for personal protection is as much a part of "going camping" as making sure you have a spare tire, plenty of fuel, and everything you need for the trip.  In most gun owner's eyes, having a gun with you is analogous to having insurance for yourself, your truck, and your trailer....or coach.  You always have it, but you also hope you NEVER, EVER need it!  If those folks that DON'T feel the need to own or carry a weapon would stay out of the thread instead of preaching the "evils" of gun ownership or carrying, the thread would most likely continue along with folks sharing their knowledge about gun laws and restrictions in certain place/locations AND, more importantly, the thread would become a source of information for those that need or want it.....instead of a political discussion or a morality discussion.  If someone started a thread about how to repair a problem with their diesel engine in their truck, should that turn into a discussion about "what's the best engine for my tow vehicle....gas or diesel" which then might become a discussion of "why is diesel fuel so expensive" which then turns into "the Democrats or the Republicans are responsible for that....it's Obama,'s fault"!  You see where I'm going with this?  My suggestion is this.....if you have ZERO information about the topic at hand....guns, diesel engines, electrical repair, UFOs......stay out out of the thread instead of posting crap that is off topic AND will cause someone to take the bait and respond and cause a once legitimate thread to spiral down the drain and get locked.

I'm not into off-road activities, so I don't participate in the 4x4 topics. I certainly wouldn't purposely jump in and derail the conversation.

It would be refreshing to see the anti-gun folks show the same courtesy.

HappyWanderer said:
I'm not into off-road activities, so I don't participate in the 4x4 topics. I certainly wouldn't purposely jump in and derail the conversation.

:)) :)) :))

Charlie 5320 said:

by the same token

lets start a new thread about "what type of sex do you like to have in your rv"

many people like to rv and many people like to have sex - still not appropriate

xrated said:

steveblonde said:
by the same token

lets start a new thread about "what type of sex do you like to have in your rv"

many people like to rv and many people like to have sex - still not appropriate

Our little TT is all purple and pink shag with a small disco ball. We have matching handcuffs. We tried this theme in a tent but quickly found that with any light in the tent silhouettes were quite visible from the outside. We enjoyed over 57 different positions until we discovered the missionary. Now it?s more than 58. We don?t own guns only because we are copious drinkers and the two do not seem to mix well.

I “really” wish that we weren’t “REQUIRED” to read each post on all topics....if we “only” had the freedom, to pass-by the subjects, that we are “not” interested in or offended by!

HappyWanderer said:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom