Little Help, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

[email protected]

We are taking a trip in July from San Diego to South Lake Tahoe RV Park. We have a 37 foot class A gas motorhome towing 2 Sea?Doo Jetskis on trailer.
Asking for safest routes to travel ... avoiding unnecessary hazards ( ie, super steep, intestine-like, dangerous roadways)
Any help and guidance will be appreciated.
Kindly,
The Tapia Family

We're in the L.A. area.  Have been to Tahoe a few times.  Most recently drove through on our return from Northern California Coast.  Personally I think Ca 395 is the best way to do it.  You can approach Tahoe from the 395 in the Carson City area.  There's a pretty good highway going up and it doesn't involve many tight turns.  It's a long uphill grade however.  The last time we went through the area, we approached from the West and took highway 50.  We did it in our old motorhome, a 1999 Ford F53 pulling a Chevy HHR.  It was a challenge and we stopped halfway up to disconnect as we were holding up a significant line of traffic.  If your 37 foot motorhome is newer, you may do better, but honestly we struggled with our old Ford V10 and our gross combined weight was only about 21,500 lbs.  Approaching from the West, highway 50 is an old 2 lane highway.  Approaching from the East, near Carson City, highway 50 it is a much newer 4 lane highway.  Both involve significant grades. 

Just a little advice, do not use your Email for your user name. You could get a bunch of unwanted Emails which I don't think you'd want. Just go into you profile and change it to something simple and while you're at it, create a signature of yourself telling us a little bit about you. Safe travels.

I have not done the 395 route, but I have traveled up HW 50 from Sacramento to Tahoe many times.  If it were me I would take I 5 to Sacramento, or I 5 to HW 99 to Sacramento then HW 50 to Tahoe.  (The last time I traveled it, I 5 was in much better shape with less traffic than HW 99)  I have stayed at Orange Grove in Bakersfield, Flag City in Lodi and the KOA in Placerville.  I had no problems in any of them.  Enjoy your trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom