Allison tranny fluid change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chopshop

I just purchased a 2004 MH with a WH22 which has the 8.1 & Allison transmission. I don't know the last time the tranny fluid was changed, nor do I know if it was ever switched over to transynd. I have 2 questions:
1 - How would I know, if ever, if it has been changed over to transynd?
2 - If I elect to not change over to transynd, what other fluid would be OK to use since Dex III is no longer available?

Sorry if this question has been beat to death!

I use Mobil Delvac 1 ATF 122062-1 in my Allison Trans. It meets Allison specs  TES-295 and TES-468. If you don't know if the trans fluid is Transynd and you want to get the full mileage benefit of that brand fluid, then you'll have to change the fluid at least twice to insure you have eliminated or diluted the original fluid sufficiently because of the remaining fluid in the torque converter when you drain the transmission.
Here's some info: it's a link to a forum with a lengthy thread on Allison fluid changes.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/transmission-shop/95342-former-allison-transmission-fluids-engineer-mr-transynd.html

I did a changeover to transynd last year shortly after buying my coach. I know it will take another change to be sure but I doubt I?ll do that for several years.

Best price I found was O?Reilly?s. Ordered online for store pickup.

Tom

Amsoil also makes a good one that meets all spec. called  TORQUE DRIVE.>>>Dan  ( I changed mine 4 years ago and brought my temps down while under load)

The reason for the two changes does not change. You want to replace as much fluid as possible including the fluid trapped in the torque converter.

The Allison oil specs are TES-295 and TES-389 and TES-468. See the lists of each on the Allison site at  http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids

Basically your choice is 295 or 389 (cause 468 is a heavier duty 295).  I strongly recommend a 295 fluid for you Allison 1000, though.

There are plenty of Dexron III compatible ATFs on the market, even though GMC no longer certifies any Dex III labeling. Most of the fluids conforming to TES 389 are also Dex III compatible.

Color is not a reliable indicator of the fluid you now have. If you can't find a sticker or something, there is no way to know for sure.

I read somewhere long ago that it was recommended to attach a piece of red electrical wire twisted on the dipstick to indicate the syntech change to any one doing service work, and I am reminded of that each time I see mine.>>>Dan

Utclmjmpr said:
  I read somewhere long ago that it was recommended to attach a piece of red electrical wire twisted on the dipstick to indicate the syntech change to any one doing service work, and I am reminded of that each time I see mine.>>>Dan

Looks like I have to check mine out! I'll report back with findings....

I change my own 2004 Allison 1000 transmission fluid and always bought Dexron III at Costco. You might want to check at your local Costco to see if they have it.

Two years ago I switched to Transynd to further extend my time between changes. You need to change your spin on transmission filter too and move the magnet on it to the new filter.

always bought Dexron III at Costco.
Yeah, but Walmarts have it too and don't require a membership.  ;)  Brands like Valvoline Dex/Merc, Supertech ATF, Mobile ATF D/M, and Warren MAG1 are all Dexron III compatible. 

Since GM owns the Dexron III name and no longer licenses it, the oil companies can no longer use it in their product name, so instead they add a line of description that says something like "For vehicles requiring Dexron III".  Just read beyond the large print and you will find some reference to Dex III.

Valvoline DEX MERC ATF 1 Gallon

Mobil-1 Dexron IIIH/Mercon ATF

edit: fixed links

Back
Top Bottom