HOUSE Batteries not charging.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need a bit more info!! Batteries won't charge WHEN?? While plugged in (parked)? While going down the road??

Ditto Stu's request, but would also like to know if charging voltage has been measured at the batts when the charging system is active.  Is it "not chargING" , meaning the charger doesn't work, or "not chargED", meaning the batteries are not accepting any charge.

tarrco said:
2004 Winnie Adventurer and house batts won't charge. Any ideas?? Batteries only a yr old.
Ideas:  You really need a volt meter and measure the voltage at the batteries when on shore power, generator and engine running, and then come back with your results.  If you don't have a meter, they are available at most any big box store or Amazon for under $20. 

He might have a voltmeter in his OnePlace panel, mine will measure house and chassis battery banks. I don't know if the voltmeter was standard across diesel and gasser models.

John Canfield said:
He might have a voltmeter in his OnePlace panel, mine will measure house and chassis battery banks. I don't know if the voltmeter was standard across diesel and gasser models.
That makes it even easier to supply the voltages to assist in determining what the problem could be.

Thank you to all. I removed the batteries this morning and put on a charger. They are charging now but I will leave overnight before I try them again. Also, as suggested I will get a tester. I just read in my manual that if the RV is not in use I should turn off the aux batt switch or it can drain power. Maybe that is my problem. Will keep all posted. Thanks.

Unquestionable the batteries will discharge if the rig is stored without shore power.  Disconnecting the house batteries will slow that process somewhat, though not 100%.

However, you said the batteries won't charge, which is not at all the same as "the batteries went dead when not in use".  Once you get them charged up and reinstalled, will you have shore power to keep them up? Or do you plan to just disconnect for storage?

As a follow-on to Gary's comments, batteries have a certain internal resistance and will self discharge over time, the usual flooded (wet) cell batteries will self discharge faster than AGM chemistry batteries. Shutting off house power will remove any parasitic loads (propane detector, etc.) but they will still discharge, although slower.

Back
Top Bottom