1993 Itasca Motorhome Fuel Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdennis1983

I have a 1993 Itasca motorhome.

Under the back bedroom bed there are 2 wires coming out of the floor. They are black and white with alligator claps on them like they should connect to a battery.

Does anyone know if this is an optional backup fuel pump?

Thanks.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Does not sound like a "factory option". Never heard of a backup source for a fuel pump either, but if a previous owner added it, you will never know why he did that, but if so, he obviously had a problem to solve at the time. Looks like wire tracing time!!!

If you connect 12V  to it (through a fuse for safety) can you detect any sound like a fuel pump operating??

Yes. I hooked a battery to it and it does pump fuel to the carb.

I'm wondering if it is just adding power to the existing fuel pump or it has a separate backup pump it is engaging.

I am planning on dropping the tank to check it out and replace the main fuel pump as a preventive measure.

Problem is I have 70 gallons of fuel in the tank. I am pumping that out to use in my truck.

Welcome! What Stu said. Never heard of an auxiliary fuel pump as an option either but it's a great idea. The diesel in our former sailboat had a mechanical fuel pump and I added an electric pump in series with the fuel line. It was a good backup (and made it easy to bleed the engine.

Well it might not be a factory option install but it really looks like a professional install job.  When I can get the fuel drained, I am going to drop the tank and verify that it is a backup pump. Like you said, if it is, its a great idea. Doesn't hurt to have a backup. I will report back when I get it checked.

Well, it's not a backup fuel pump after all.

The wires are connected to the lines going to the in-tank fuel pump.

I dropped the tank and replaced the fuel pump and filter. This fixed my issues with no power.

Bad fuel pump.

Back
Top Bottom