Need help!! smelly water after running super hot water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beniculous

hey guys so i have a problem. I'm running two hot waters heaters in sync 110v . and I have a hose that runs to my friends spicket. problem is that the hose runs through a lot of sun to get to the spicket. so the water comes out super hot. one day not realizing this i ran the water through with the hot water heaters also heating it., it creating a mess of boiling water which I think damaged the plumbing. I'm trying to think of some way to get rid of this smell without running a whole new set of plumbing, I'm thinking put soap in my water reservoir and just pump that through to hopefully get rid of the smell, but honestly I'm not sure if that will get rid of tit . i already changed my hot water heaters and now i only have the pipes to do with . the smell literally smells like burnt plastic so i know its probably not safe to drink so i've been having to buy cases of water bottles which i hate. thanks for listening. hope u guys can help.

beniculous said:
hey guys so i have a problem. I'm running two hot waters heaters in sync 110v . and I have a hose that runs to my friends spicket. problem is that the hose runs through a lot of sun to get to the spicket. so the water comes out super hot. one day not realizing this i ran the water through with the hot water heaters also heating it., it creating a mess of boiling water which I think damaged the plumbing. I'm trying to think of some way to get rid of this smell without running a whole new set of plumbing, I'm thinking put soap in my water reservoir and just pump that through to hopefully get rid of the smell, but honestly I'm not sure if that will get rid of tit . i already changed my hot water heaters and now i only have the pipes to do with . the smell literally smells like burnt plastic so i know its probably not safe to drink so i've been having to buy cases of water bottles which i hate. thanks for listening. hope u guys can help.

1st, welcome to the forum.
Could it also smell like rotten eggs or sulpher?  I don't believe the water got hot enough to burn the pipes. You may find that you need to sanitize your entire system. The way to do it is add 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in your fresh water tank. Then using your onboard water pump, pump the water throughout your entire system including the water heaters. Run the water through each faucet till you smell the bleach. Don't forget the toilet, outside shower, ice maker and washing machine. I usually add another 1/4 cup of bleach to the tank then top it off with water. Leave that water in the system for a few hours and then drain and flush the system with fresh water. Let us know how you make out.

Welcome to the Forum!

The sun exposed hose will get the water hotter than the water heater! You really have 3 water heaters.  If the water heater is set to 140 deg. F, and the water coming in is 170 deg F, then the water heater will not come on.  It only heats water when the water needs heated.  Most RV hoses will withstand those temperatures, though.

I agree with Rene to try sanitize.

If this is the sulfur odor, simple bleach may not work.  Certain bugs love to grow in warm, dark environments.  Like water heater tanks.  I was able to kill my bugs by draining the water heater, then filling with 2 parts white vinegar to 1 part water.  Heat to full operating temp, run water out of all hot faucets to clean the lines, and allow to cool.  Drain the tank and blast the entire interior with a water heater tank flush hose.  This should flush the dead stuff out the tank.  It is a bit like brown murky water.

Yes, sanitize your hot water heater this is a common problem. There is a bug that loves hot water systems.  :)) Everyone gets a gold star for correct answer.  ;D
Bill

Rene explained it, but here's our forum library article on Water System Sanitizing:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php/42-fresh-water-systems/110-water-system-sanitizing

Rene T said:
I never knew there was a right and a wrong.
Not only is there one rod some hot water heaters don't have one so how can that be the problem???
The problem is well known and all you have to do is follow the procedures in the library to sanitize your water system and solve the problem.
Bill

Corky said:
We are assuming that you do have a drinking water only hose --- right???

Corky

I wondered the same thing. From what he describes,
the smell literally smells like burnt plastic
it sounds like he used a standard garden hose...those things can produce some NASTY smelling water. (and it's often NOT safe to drink from them...even though us old farts did it all the time when we were kids)

namumac1 said:
Some use magnesium and others use aluminum.

It?s my understanding that the type of the metal in the rod is not heater specific, there are both magnesium and aluminum available for the Suburban for example. The rod is reacting with the water not with the heater. According to what I read the magnesium rods do a better job, but wear out faster and cost a little more. I use magnesium based on what is suppose to be better protection.

namumac1 said:
Some use magnesium and others use aluminum.

If there was one type that would create a smell problem, I don't believe manufactures would produce them. I've never seen that there's a choice of what to get. You just go to a RV store and purchase what's on the shelf.

Sun2Retire said:
It?s my understanding that the type of the metal in the rod is not heater specific, there are both magnesium and aluminum available for the Suburban for example. The rod is reacting with the water not with the heater. According to what I read the magnesium rods do a better job, but wear out faster and cost more. I use magnesium based on what is suppose to be better protection.

Would the construction material used to make the tank have an impact on which anode to use? Tank material - Aluminum vs stainless steel. I don't know for sure, just asking.

Corky

Suburban needs the anodes because the tank is made out of aluminum. The Atwood's use a claded aluminum material so no need to use a anode rod.

This was taken out of the Atwood service manual that Gary Brink posted a few years ago:

ATWOOD CLAD TANK
The Atwood water heater tank is constructed of a core of high strength aluminum. The interior of the tank consists of a 15% thickness of type 7072 aluminum (pure aluminum and zinc) that is fused to the core during the rolling process.
This material protects the tank from the affects of heavy metals and salts found in waters throughout the country. It is anodic to these heavy metals and acts much like an anode in a steel glass lined tank except it will last much longer.
There is also no need to replace an anode on a yearly basis.

We installed a new water heater at home after 3 months we got the sulphur smell. Never had issue before. After bleaching then vinegar it would still come back. Changed the anodized rod to magenisum and cleaned with vinegar again never had another issue. FYI we are on well water also.

Rene T said:
Suburban needs the anodes because the tank is made out of aluminum. The Atwood's use a non corrosive material so no need to use a anode rod.

Thanks!
I can now take the rest for the day off, as I have learned my "Nugget of Knowledge" for the day.  ;D

Corky

Back
Top Bottom