Bought our first TT!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgr312

We are so excited!! We pick up our first travel trailer tomorrow! We ended up getting a 2013 Palomino Canyon Cat 17qrb.

It does not have a sway bar or anything, so we need to get all of that before we pick it up. Any advice on what we need?

Sway bar, hitch (F150 has the ball-thingy, but hubby says we need one more thing)...do we need a break controller? Anything else you can think of?? 

We opted to not do the PDI and are just doing the basic inspection. Should we expect the water and propane tanks to be full?

Thanks in advance!

Congratulations, I can hear the excitement.  :D

I am not a towing expert but I do think you will need a brake controller.

Make sure your inspection is thorough or you might regret it.  I would not expect it to be filled with water but if a dealer then they will probably have filled the propane.

Others will give better advice....

Hope it goes well.  Safe travels, keep us posted....

You will need a brake controller. The water and propane will just depend on the dealership. I didn't check the weights of your set up. Someone else is sure to chime in on that.

MOST DEFINITELY need a Equalizer 4 way Sway control.  Without this a Semi passing on the interstate will make your trailer wag your truck like the tail of a dog.

Also a power tongue jack, with a Fastway Retracting Jack foot.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=fastway+flip+jack&sprefix=fastway+%2Caps%2C207&crid=385DOQ80IR4R7&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Afastway+flip+jack

All these things make life pulling a trailer so much easier.

Look for the best Brake Controller as well.

This one is fantastic. 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=techonsha+p3&sprefix=techonsha%2Caps%2C194&crid=3U3ZBA2WDYUM8

A lot of "what you need" you will figure out along the way. There are premier add-ons (such as what Tom mentioned) but you can certainly live without a power tongue jack (I wish I had one ;)) and other types of anti-sway devices are available.

You've probably already picked up by now, but our Forum Library (link near the top of this page) has several inspection checklists you could print out and take along, to make sure everything gets properly inspected prior to you signing the final papers and driving away.

Back
Top Bottom