Sofa with vent removed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clbeyer14

I have a 1999 Rexall Aerbus and I want to remove one of the sofa beds but it has a built in vent. How can I do this effectively? How will the vent be replaced or changed? I?m new to RVing so any suggestions will help.

What will be replacing the sofa? The heater vent can be removed from the sofa, and the flex hose behind it can be rerouted or cut shorter to reinstall the vent in a convenient location. I worked on one coach where we removed a sofa and replaced it with two recliners. A small table was installed between them with a bottom section boxed in with the heat vent installed. On that one, the flex hose ran in to the base of an adjacent dinette bench seat, so we just boxed it in along the wall to hide it.

I'm guessing the "vent" is a heat duct?  Possibly the entire furnace is under the sofa?  (I've owned two rigs like that.)  The short answer is that you can re-route the duct, extend, shorten, make a turn or whatever suits your revised layout.

Capping off the duct, however, is not advised. The furnace needs to move some minimum volume of air through to avoid overheating itself.

Our 1999 Aerbus was a 32 footer and only had one sofa.  It did have a vent that ran from the furnace which was under a dinette bench to the end of the sofa which was behind the drivers seat.  We removed the sofa and built a storage bench.  We also removed 1/2 of the dinette and never bothered running the duct up to the front of the motorhome.  That was a mistake.  The cab heater in our motorhome didn't work (failed heater core) so the only way we could keep warm on cold days while riding down the road was to leave the furnace on and wait for the heat to make it's way to the front of the motorhome.  The storage bench replaced the sofa was and I could have easily run a duct from the back bench to the front of the motorhome. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom