I want my old .wps Word back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nvrver

My 8 year old W-7 upgraded to W-10 laptop died and I don?t like the MS My Office Word that came with the new laptop.  I?m not going to continue to use My Office when the 30 day trial is over and I have already installed LibreOffice 5.4 and added the File Viewer Plus app to open up my .wps files. 

Is there a way to get the old W-7 version of MS Word.  All my old .wps files are backed up on cds & jump drives  and I don?t like working with Libre .odt and Word .docx files once I have opened them from .wps

I have been using Google Docs as a replacement for Office since the early 00s. Works just as good, stores it all online and is free. And it takes up no room on your hard drive and doesn't need to be installed.

You didn't have Word if the file extension is .wps. That would have been Microsoft Works, which has been out of production since 2009.

You can find Microsoft Office 2010 online for about 50 bucks, which is a little simpler than current versions, but's still going to be a .docx file. There is no comparison to open source or free software versus genuine Microsoft software.

HappyWanderer said:
That's funny stuff!
It's true! I turn on my Windows laptop about once a month and I have learned to turn it on a few hours before I actually want to use it. It always spends the first few hours endlessly downloading updates and applying them. And in 1995 everyone was accusing Microsoft of producing bloatware because Win95 was almost 50 mb. Now you can't update a minor program for less. I really love my 8 second boot up time on my Chromebook. :))

Tom, I have no doubt that your Chromebook boots up faster than your obsolete Windows machine.

However, the OP was asking about compatibility with her MS Works files. That file format is no longer in use, but an older version of Office that is still available will be the closest to the look and feel that the OP is used to.

As to open source software, I've had people try to thrust it upon me for "collaboration" purposes. It's functionally is lacking when compared to real software. If a kludgey interface and limited feature set works for you, fine.

It's functionally is lacking when compared to real software.
Oh? Open source/free(dom) software isn't real software? Perhaps you really mean commercial/proprietary rather than "real."

If a kludgey interface and limited feature set works for you, fine.
Much proprietary software that I've used has way, way too many features that I'll never even understand, let alone have a use for (I've written software, and been in computers (not just PC stuff) for a lot of years (since the '70s)), and I don't find the (Open Office/Libre Office/Gimp, for example) interfaces to be kludgey, though they're not identical to MS or Corel or Adobe.

Perhaps you have a use for all the stuff that's in the bloatware (IMHO) that costs a lot (and they're trying to make it subscription, too), but my needs (and those of most folks that I know) are much more modest. BTW, note that if I really need desktop publishing, Pagestream (which I've had since my Amiga days) does a marvelous job, and will even generate camera ready copy for publishing.

HappyWanderer said:
Tom, I have no doubt that your Chromebook boots up faster than your obsolete Windows machine.

However, the OP was asking about compatibility with her MS Works files. That file format is no longer in use, but an older version of Office that is still available will be the closest to the look and feel that the OP is used to.

As to open source software, I've had people try to thrust it upon me for "collaboration" purposes. It's functionally is lacking when compared to real software. If a kludgey interface and limited feature set works for you, fine.
I fail to see what open source software fits into this description. Yes my Windows machine is obsolete. All Windows machines are obsolete in my book. Like going back to the horse and buggy. (pun intended)

nvrver said:
My 8 year old W-7 upgraded to W-10 laptop died and I don?t like the MS My Office Word that came with the new laptop.  I?m not going to continue to use My Office when the 30 day trial is over and I have already installed LibreOffice 5.4 and added the File Viewer Plus app to open up my .wps files. 

Is there a way to get the old W-7 version of MS Word.  All my old .wps files are backed up on cds & jump drives  and I don?t like working with Libre .odt and Word .docx files once I have opened them from .wps

In my original post I didn?t mention that I have my previous Toshiba laptop recovery discs I made on DVD -RW #?s 1 thru 4 & one Toshiba Applications & Drivers Disc.  Can I extract my old version of Microsoft Word from any  of these discs without causing problems to my new laptop?

Probably not.  I have a Toshiba even older - it came with Windows 3.1!  Yet it runs Windows 10 perfectly, including the huge 1803 release that replaced the entire OS.

Two things are working against you:

1.  Word was only licensed on the old computer and it was probably a Toshiba specific licensing agreement.  Moving it to another computer may be prohibited.

2.  The Restore media is probably an image and does not contain the 'install'.exe files.  But if it does you'll likely run into licensing issues.

Libre Office is sort of clunky but it gets the job done.  You can get used to it.

Office 2016 is less than $30.00 online and you can save in many formats including PDF, DOC< RTF,  TXT,  and ODT

and you can buy works 2003 on EBAY for $15.00 which SHOULD (YMMV) be backward compatible on a windows 10 machine
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Works-Suite-2003-PC-CD-Complete-w-Product-Key-Sealed/163092938706?hash=item25f918bfd2:g:Lq4AAOSwq4lbHtLY

In my humble opinion if you found Microsoft Office 2016 listed for $30 it will be a counterfeit or will not have the license code included.

If you buy Works 2003 its's probably not bogus because it's not worth counterfeiting but be sure to install it using the compatibility wizard.

8Muddypaws said:
In my humble opinion if you found Microsoft Office 2016 listed for $30 it will be a counterfeit or will not have the license code included.

If you buy Works 2003 its's probably not bogus because it's not worth counterfeiting but be sure to install it using the compatibility wizard.
Well I bought one and it registered successfully with Microsoft and installed on 2 machines. It  comes with the key and a link to the Microsoft download site. You get no physical copy. If you need to reinstall you visit your account a Microsoft and sign in then push the download button.

I've been able to get away with all sorts of things regarding licensing and authentication until the last year or so.  Try you luck!

8Muddypaws said:
Probably not.  I have a Toshiba even older - it came with Windows 3.1!  Yet it runs Windows 10 perfectly, including the huge 1803 release that replaced the entire OS.

Yeah, I am struggling with this one....show me a pic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom