Truck Camper for a full hookup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sam Bar

All,  I have no knowledge of truck campers, but we have 2 full hookup slabs at our cottage in the mtns of NC.  We are looking for  a place for my kid to crash in the summer. We had a TT on it, but sold it.  My question is, can we just put a truck camper on blocks to do the job? My dear wife says yes. They seem to be much cheaper than anything else we see on CL or other places for sale.  We don't need for him to shower or use the potty, just a place to stay for 2 weeks a year with ac.  Will this work?  Can it be delivered to our house and set up, or am I re-inventing the wheel? Just need a third bedroom for him, at the cottage. 

Thanks, John

Personally I?d use a small trailer. Should be cheap if you?re really only looking for beds

To answer your original question, most truck campers do just fine sitting on their four jacks.  The jacks should be used to lower it as close to the ground as you can go, it will be much more stable that way.  The only way you MIGHT have a problem is if it's old and the lower part has suffered from water damage, in which case the floor will need extra support under it.  Some people will rig a sawhorse or something similar to support the bed part that would ordinarily overhang the cab, but in theory that is not necessary - there's enough weight concentrated between the four jacks to more than offset the weight of your son when he climbs up into the bed, still, if it makes you feel better . . .

I would just add that if the camper has a basement, putting blocks under the basement won't help with the floor, as the floor is not connected to the basement. Blocks under the basement will help with stability though.Wobble stoppers connected to the front jacks will also help with stability when on the jacks, they are fairly cheap and easy to install. I have one of the largest campers made and I don't blocks or wobble stoppers.

I would go with the trailer.  There are lots more 20'-25' trailers floating around and for sale than truck campers.  Should be cheaper to go with the trailer.  Also finding a vehicle to tow the trailer should be easier than getting a truck to move the camper.

Also if you have never put a truck camper on the back of a truck, it is NOT as easy as you think.  You only have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch space between each side of the wheel wells in the P/U and the camper.  You have to get almost perfectly straight and centered to get the camper on. Get at too much of an angle and the camper binds on the wheel wells and if you don't stop backing you can push the camper off of the jacks.  I'm not saying it is overly hard, it does take a bit of finesse and care to get it on. 

is the cabin 'in use' ??  He doesn't need a 'potty' for 2 weeks.  Does need AC.  Doesn't need shower??    Lotta HMmmmm. JM2?    YMMV

Back
Top Bottom