rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: RV Replacement Mattress?  (Read 749 times)

CuriousGeorge

RV Replacement Mattress?
« on: June 22, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »
Own a 2014 Winnebago Winnie Drop originally supplied with a short queen mattress (60" x 73") which was never comfortable and is now coming apart at the seams going into it's third year.  Looking for a simple replacement one piece FIRM foam mattress, ideally 6" to 8" thick with durable cover.  Something that will maintain firmness and last several years with moderate use.

Looking online I see options varying from $200 to $700 or more and many with a "memory foam" layer I don't particularly care for.  In addition, prefer to keep the price reasonable / moderate.

Would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks

PJ Stough

• ---
Re: RV Replacement Mattress?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 10:19:02 AM »
Maybe this site will be helpful.  https://www.themattressunderground.com/
PJ Stough   Iowa
2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2018, 10:22:31 AM »
Most areas have a custom mattress shop that will make one most any size and style you like. It's actually not a difficult manufacturing process, so a small shop can do it.  We've had a mattress made to order for less than many local mattress storees wanted for a standard size.

There are also online (aka mail order) companies that do it, but local is often more reasonably priced.  Google "custom mattress" in your area.
https://www.mattressinsider.com/custom-mattress.html
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

steve-n-sueC

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2018, 02:18:19 PM »
We recently replaced the short queen Sleep Number mattress that came in our 08 Adventurer 38j, with a custom built short queen from Personal Comfort.  It is considerably more expensive than those you were mentioning, but I have absolutely no regrets, after sleeping on it every night for three months. 
Steve-n-Sue
08 Adventurer 38j
13 GMC Terrain

stripit

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
We just replaced our mattress with a Bed in a Box. This is our 4th purchase from them. We now have their units in our home and rv's we have owned. Not really cheap, but oh so comfortable. They ship within a day or so and never any issues with the company or the product.
2018 Holiday Rambler Admiral 31A
2015 Cadillac SRX
SMI Braking System
1991 Avanti Convertible

javandyke

• ---
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2018, 07:06:53 PM »
Very happy with our mattress from mattressinsider.com.
Jim

2011 Sunova 33
2016 Sahara Wrangler

aprs

• ---
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
Got a Queen size foam memory mattress from Costco last October and itís firm but comfortable. I think the price was around $500.
-Boz-
2000 Ultimate Freedom 40JD

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 06:04:02 AM »
We bought a Zinus 10 inch memory foam mattress from amazon. It is a short queen.  It was about $200.  We love it.  Firm and comfy.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
Winter Springs, Florida😀

Gwbeech

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 07:42:46 PM »
Also bought the zinus 10" mattress only ordered from walmart.com .alittle firm but
very comfortable.around 200 to 250 dollars.

cpaulsen

• ---
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 06:19:26 AM »
We have always just gone to a local mattress store and bought what we wanted.
2008 Ford F250/CC/SB/V-10/2018 Montana 330RL

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »
I once read that you need to be careful selecting a mattress.  Example, you don't want a 'Home' mattress laying on the floor in your stick house because they are designed to be on a Box Spring, that allows ventilation.  This is necessary to 'dry out' the mattress.  (You wouldn't believe how much one sweats at night).  I'm not sure how valid that is, but I would be cautious of throwing just anything down, that was not tested and good.  You don't want to start sleeping on something that might get moldy.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 08:26:37 AM »
I once read that you need to be careful selecting a mattress.  Example, you don't want a 'Home' mattress laying on the floor in your stick house because they are designed to be on a Box Spring, that allows ventilation.  This is necessary to 'dry out' the mattress.  (You wouldn't believe how much one sweats at night).  I'm not sure how valid that is, but I would be cautious of throwing just anything down, that was not tested and good.  You don't want to start sleeping on something that might get moldy.

I just did a quick search and found a couple of sites talking about box springs and are they required. At one time, ventilation may have been an issue but not anymore I don't think. One of the issues is will the manufacturer of a mattress warrantee it if there isn't a box spring. Here is one site:
https://www.sleepadvisor.org/do-you-need-a-box-spring/
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Peggyy

• ---
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2018, 08:37:10 AM »
I dont think the new memory foam mattresses need a box springs.  Correct me if i am wrong.  Ours is just so comfy.
GMC Sierra 2012
2016 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 264BHW Travel Trailer
Winter Springs, Florida😀

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2018, 02:43:04 PM »
I dont think the new memory foam mattresses need a box springs.  Correct me if i am wrong.  Ours is just so comfy.

From what I read, I think they are ok, they do not wick up moisture