RV Replacement Mattress?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CuriousGeorge

Own a 2014 Winnebago Winnie Drop originally supplied with a short queen mattress (60" x 73") which was never comfortable and is now coming apart at the seams going into it's third year.  Looking for a simple replacement one piece FIRM foam mattress, ideally 6" to 8" thick with durable cover.  Something that will maintain firmness and last several years with moderate use.

Looking online I see options varying from $200 to $700 or more and many with a "memory foam" layer I don't particularly care for.  In addition, prefer to keep the price reasonable / moderate.

Would appreciate any advice or recommendations.

Thanks

Most areas have a custom mattress shop that will make one most any size and style you like. It's actually not a difficult manufacturing process, so a small shop can do it.  We've had a mattress made to order for less than many local mattress storees wanted for a standard size.

There are also online (aka mail order) companies that do it, but local is often more reasonably priced.  Google "custom mattress" in your area.
https://www.mattressinsider.com/custom-mattress.html

We recently replaced the short queen Sleep Number mattress that came in our 08 Adventurer 38j, with a custom built short queen from Personal Comfort.  It is considerably more expensive than those you were mentioning, but I have absolutely no regrets, after sleeping on it every night for three months. 

We just replaced our mattress with a Bed in a Box. This is our 4th purchase from them. We now have their units in our home and rv's we have owned. Not really cheap, but oh so comfortable. They ship within a day or so and never any issues with the company or the product.

Got a Queen size foam memory mattress from Costco last October and it?s firm but comfortable. I think the price was around $500.

We bought a Zinus 10 inch memory foam mattress from amazon. It is a short queen.  It was about $200.  We love it.  Firm and comfy.

Also bought the zinus 10" mattress only ordered from walmart.com .alittle firm but
very comfortable.around 200 to 250 dollars.

We have always just gone to a local mattress store and bought what we wanted.

I once read that you need to be careful selecting a mattress.  Example, you don't want a 'Home' mattress laying on the floor in your stick house because they are designed to be on a Box Spring, that allows ventilation.  This is necessary to 'dry out' the mattress.  (You wouldn't believe how much one sweats at night).  I'm not sure how valid that is, but I would be cautious of throwing just anything down, that was not tested and good.  You don't want to start sleeping on something that might get moldy.

spencerpj said:
I once read that you need to be careful selecting a mattress.  Example, you don't want a 'Home' mattress laying on the floor in your stick house because they are designed to be on a Box Spring, that allows ventilation.  This is necessary to 'dry out' the mattress.  (You wouldn't believe how much one sweats at night).  I'm not sure how valid that is, but I would be cautious of throwing just anything down, that was not tested and good.  You don't want to start sleeping on something that might get moldy.

I just did a quick search and found a couple of sites talking about box springs and are they required. At one time, ventilation may have been an issue but not anymore I don't think. One of the issues is will the manufacturer of a mattress warrantee it if there isn't a box spring. Here is one site:
https://www.sleepadvisor.org/do-you-need-a-box-spring/

I dont think the new memory foam mattresses need a box springs.  Correct me if i am wrong.  Ours is just so comfy.

Peggyy said:
I dont think the new memory foam mattresses need a box springs.  Correct me if i am wrong.  Ours is just so comfy.

From what I read, I think they are ok, they do not wick up moisture

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom