air conditioning problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roniram

I have a 5th wheel with bedroom in front. Only 1 ac unit in kitchen area- does not cool off the bedroom area at all.  Looking to put in a portable ac unit and vent it out the window.  Problem is i need a small unit due to lack of floor space- any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance
Roni

roniram said:
I have a 5th wheel with bedroom in front. Only 1 ac unit in kitchen area- does not cool off the bedroom area at all.  Looking to put in a portable ac unit and vent it out the window.  Problem is i need a small unit due to lack of floor space- any suggestions ?
Thanks in advance
Roni

Welcome to the forum. Do you have 30 Amp or 50 Amp? If you have 50 Amp, have you looked into buying another roof AC and mount it where your ceiling vent is.

Welcome to the Forum!

What camper do you have?  Year, make, model? 

Many campers with only 1 A/C will have a vent in the bedroom ceiling.  Often, there is wiring already installed at that vent to power the second A/C, which conveniently sits in the same size hole as the vent.

Another solution is a box fan in the hallway pushing cool air to the bedroom at night.

When I had a pop-up trailer with canvas sides years many ago, I had a floor model similar to this: (not quite as fancy though...)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2BTAV6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00B2BTAV6&pd_rd_wg=5TOtY&pd_rd_r=RQ41C6PH2MQ8ES9K3WZA&pd_rd_w=lx7Io

The challenge was venting the hot exhaust air produced by the unit. I had to make a 4"  hole in the camper floor and adapt a dryer vent hose to the A/C unit to get rid of the hot air. Worked well, but noisy. In your case, you would like have to adapt a vent line to your bedroom ceiling vent.

With that said, as others have suggested, I'd elect to go with an additional roof-top A/C unit if at all possible.

the roof is not supported for another ac unit- too costly to invest.  Looking for the smallest unit to fit the area

We successfully used the fan idea (see Grashley's reply) when we had  a similar 5W.  It wasn't great, but it made the bedroom bearable on a warm night.

As for the smallest footprint, all the portables I see are about the same. The bigger btu models are typically a little taller and maybe an inch or two wider, but largely identical.  That's likely because they need a certain minimum size footprint to remain stable and upright. Here's one of the smaller ones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YQGARXE/
Most portables draw 10-12 amps, so if you have only 30A shore power, you are likely to come up short.

There are some very small evaporative coolers but they won't cool a room - more like personal cooler-fans.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B4BKHGD/

I used a portable in a Bounder diesel when we were AZ. Make sure you get a two hose portable. The two hose allows one hose to vent the hot air coming from the condenser to exit the trailer other hose brings outside air in to blow across the condenser. The one hose portables dumb the hot air removed from the (condenser) right back in to the room. Air is cool coming out but you're putting the heat back in to the room from the condenser not good.

Back
Top Bottom