08 Adventurer 38J washer/dryer removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve-n-sueC

Searched the threads and didn't see anything similar to this, so thought I would share my experience with those who might find themselves in a similar situation.

We were having trouble with the timer not advancing on our Splendide wd2100. Called Splendide tech line, they diagnosed it as a bad timer  motor, which I suspected, and shipped me a new one.  Problem solved, right?

NO. To access the connections on the back of the washer, there is an access door in the bathroom wall, behind the throne, about the size of a large Kleenex box. Disconnecting the water hoses was easy, and a razor knife made quick work of the duct tape holding the duct to the adapter, screwed to the back of the dryer. Remove the two cabinet doors and lift and pull the machine out.  Remove two screws from the back of the unit that hold the top on, tap the top towards the back of the machine, to remove it.  Pull the knob off of the old timer, press in a little tab and the timer slides up and out. Disconnect the one wire harness, compare the old timer to the new, slide it into place and let it snap in, put the knob on the new timer, slide the top back into place, reinstall the two screws, and all set, right?  NO.
There is virtually no way to get enough hands, lights, and tools into the access panel to re-attach the ductwork, and hoses. it took approximately 20 minutes from start to time to slide the machine back into place, and 4 hours, including a 20 minute trip to Home Depot, to get the machine back into position and re-connected.

If ANYONE is considering any DIY work on the washer dryer combo in a 38 j, Please PM me before you start.  I am an extremely patient person, but this was probably the WORST project of any I have done, on any motorhome.

Thanks for documenting your project!  :))

Removing/installing our Splendide W/D is probably my least favorite maintenance activity due to such limited working space. I have to disassemble some cabinetry I built when I removed the glass TV and replaced with a flat panel to reach the top rear of the W/D. Then I have to pull the return air grille, lay on my back and scoot in that tiny space to reach the duct for the vent.

I installed the W/D from the beginning so I had a leg up on how to access it. Winnebago was only installing an earlier model of the Splendide as a factory option and would not install the latest model, so I did it myself after we brought the Horizon home.

I feel your pain! Had a similar story with my '04 American Tradition. Had a bad run of luck with W/D  back around 2009 and had to open it up 3 times in less than a year.  First a dryer vent hose split open, then the power board failed, and few month later it got a bad lint clog after washing some fuzzy items. First discovered that the cabinet face frame opening had zero clearance - it was exactly the width showing in the Splendide manual for the washer width. Some numbskull must have used it right out the book, and obviously the factory put the w/d in before the cabinet surround was installed.  I cut the opening 3/16: wider and refinished so it would be easier in the future (which turned out to be a wise move!).  There was a shelf on the adjacent wall that would support one side after I slid the w/d out, so I found some scrap lumber and built a temp support for the other side while I worked on it.  After getting back home for the winter, I decided to make a collapsible support I could easily store in a bay,  "just in case" I ever needed it again. Sure enough (self-fulfilling prophecy?) 3 months later I needed it.  I got really, really good at getting that 200 lb monster out & back in its cubby hole!

Many of us have felt your pain!  These washer/dryer units are notoriously difficult to get out regardless of the RV brand.  In our case it's a Monaco.  The manufacturers need every inch of space so it seems none are easy to remove/install.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom