How about building the back-end of a small truck..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runnindownadream

..into something I could use temporarily?  I have a truck, and thought a lot about turning the back-end into a sleeper (see attached video of my general idea).  If there's a better place to ask about this, please let me know.  I'm learning the ropes here on this forum;)

What I'd like to know specifically, is if you were going to have it done by someone else, how would you find that "carpenter" type person?  I looked around facebook, and seen a lot of videos of people that have done this, but not in my area.  Kind of isolated from larger populations.  I'll plug in the link to what I think I would be comfy in.  Thanks in advance for any help, suggestions, and love to talk to someone that's done this before;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQLT_H1qfrc

Looks fairly simple for anyone with basic tools and a little woodworking experience.

Yellow pages, Craigslist ,town Facebook pages?

Would you believe I do have a carpenter friend, and he has the same, size truck as mine.  I'm having some lunch, then going down to talk to him  :)) thank you for your suggestions!! I may still need them who knows;)

Well, I've slept in the back of a truck a couple of times, right on the bed.  But I was a lot younger.  With that topper, I think I would get mighty claustrophobic, especially with 2 people.  But man, if you do it and can handle it, cool on you. 

I would think if you look a little you could find an older smaller P/U camper for $500 or so and load it in the truck and you would have more room and more amenities from  the start and not have to fit into a coffin sized space to sleep in.

Something like this.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/pickup-camper-slide-in/6614125928.html

Tom Hoffman said:
I would think if you look a little you could find an older smaller P/U camper for $500 or so and load it in the truck and you would have more room and more amenities from  the start and not have to fit into a coffin sized space to sleep in.

Something like this.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/pickup-camper-slide-in/6614125928.html
The video was on a Ford Ranger and the OP says small truck. Not sure they make a TC that a small truck could handle.

A lot of folks do this with trucks and vans. I think if I was doing this I would want the taller truck cap. The one in the video doesn?t have much headroom. It would be a fun project.

I had a similar setup in a full size truck and while it worked it did have limitations. The biggest one was headroom, I couldn't sit up in bed and had to slide out feet first. I also didn't have covered storage for when not in use. Still, it was more comfortable than sleeping on the floor. Pop up and overhead campers are available for small trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom