Class C Tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ditsjets7

Hi all, we ha e a Coachman Leprechaun 31 class C. Question, is there a preferred way to ?rotate? these tires? With 6 tires is there a preferred method for this?

Tire life: we have some summer trips planned this year. Next year we plan to gonfrom NY to Yellowstone and back. Next Summer the tires will be approximately 4 years old. Are these tires safe to go on a trip like that at 4 years? These are all new concerns I have. Rather be safe than sorry but I also don?t want to spend a lot of money if not necessary. Thanks in advance.

Mike

You've opened the can of worms now!

Check the web site of the manufacturer for your tires.  They will usually have a rotation plan for 6 wheel sets.  However, most RV folks seem to agree that rotating a set of 6 is not necessary.  The tires usually "age-out" before the tread shows any serious wear.

As far as I know, the only manufacturer that specifically states to replace tires at a certain age is Michelin, and they say 10 years.  Again, most RV folks seem to agree that 6, or 7 years is the accepted norm.

I wouldn't worry about 4 year old tires, unless they're obviously worn or damaged.  Most important to tire life is that they are inflated to the proper PSI based upon the weight each corner is carrying.  Your tire manufacturer should have an inflation chart for your model/size of tire.

Cheer,s

Dan K.

The 31 foot class C's (I drove an e450 from PA to Wyoming) don't leave much available weight for cargo carrying capacity. 

We blew a rear in nowheresville and after we got fixed up I had her weighed.  We were 1000 heavy on the rear axle. 

As much concern as you are putting into rotation, I am sure you will want to make sure you are not only under total weight but also the under the weight on each axle.

If you haven't weighed at a CAT scale before it is nothing to be intimidated by.  First tell your wife she will be heading into grab the weight and pay in case you messed up you don't have to be embarrassed. ;D  Just joking.

Usually when you pull up on the scale you will push a button and a woman will yell a completely indistinguishable question.  She is probably asking for your Truck number so I always yell "personal RV."  Again, I have never been sure of the question but usually she yells something else indistinguishable back at me and then my wife and I debate what to do.  We usually decide to pull off and she goes and gets the weight slip.  It is the best $10 you can spend!

when you pull up you can see where your axles are suppose to line up.  You will want a front and rear axle weight.  If you tow something you will want to have that figured out as well. 

A trip from NY to Yellowstone and my wife would have that baby packed so full we would look like a low rider.  Not a good look if you want to make it there - rotated tires or not.

The only time I rotate tires is when I purchase a new set.  Unless you see unusually wear, don't rotate.

Agree with the others - no need to rotate positions unless there is unusual wear at one of them. Even then, fix the problem causing the wear rather than simply moving the tire around.

A few vehicles will wear the front axle tires significantly faster than the rear axles and that would be reason to do a rotation on a regular basis, but the van chassis used with your coach is not often subject to that.

KandT said:
The 31 foot class C's (I drove an e450 from PA to Wyoming) don't leave much available weight for cargo carrying capacity. 

We blew a rear in nowheresville and after we got fixed up I had her weighed.  We were 1000 heavy on the rear axle. 

As much concern as you are putting into rotation, I am sure you will want to make sure you are not only under total weight but also the under the weight on each axle.

If you haven't weighed at a CAT scale before it is nothing to be intimidated by.  First tell your wife she will be heading into grab the weight and pay in case you messed up you don't have to be embarrassed. ;D  Just joking.

Usually when you pull up on the scale you will push a button and a woman will yell a completely indistinguishable question.  She is probably asking for your Truck number so I always yell "personal RV."  Again, I have never been sure of the question but usually she yells something else indistinguishable back at me and then my wife and I debate what to do.  We usually decide to pull off and she goes and gets the weight slip.  It is the best $10 you can spend!

when you pull up you can see where your axles are suppose to line up.  You will want a front and rear axle weight.  If you tow something you will want to have that figured out as well. 

A trip from NY to Yellowstone and my wife would have that baby packed so full we would look like a low rider.  Not a good look if you want to make it there - rotated tires or not.

so true about the weighmaster intercom!!!  I have never understood what they said!  Recently, I discovered that Cat scales have an app for smart phones.  Just activate the app before you pull on the scale and just do it all yourself...never have to go inside!

blw2 said:
so true about the weighmaster intercom!!!  I have never understood what they said!  Recently, I discovered that Cat scales have an app for smart phones.  Just activate the app before you pull on the scale and just do it all yourself...never have to go inside!

Sweet! - Thanks for sharing! 

I hope the app yells at me too so I feel like the "good ole days". ;)

Back
Top Bottom