Neither Family is Camping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memtb

We?ve got two grandsons (first cousins)  headed to play in the USSSA Baseball World Series next week. One is on the 13 and under Majors team, playing in Panama City, Florida. The other, on the 9 and under, Majors team is headed to Tennessee. The younger boy?s  team (when playing for the 8 and under), won the World Series last year, held in Gulf Shores, Alabama.

Wishing, we could be there to see them play!

Interesting post. I grew up in Williamsport Pennsylvania where the Little League World Series was started and still played there to this day.

I had not heard of the USSSA Baseball World Series.  Do you know if the two of them coordinate with each other?

No, not affiliated! USSSA, is involved in many youth sports, soccer, football, baseball, etc. I’m not sure about how the other sports are operated. With baseball, the parents provide financial support for the team ( for some teams this may be a grand or more per season) to cover the team expenses, and then must travel (at their expense) to various locations for tournaments. It’s “not” uncommon for these kids to travel out of state to tournaments. Some teams actually get donor support to help finance their local teams.
The kids participate in try-outs, only the better players make the cut. In USSSA Baseball, their are 4 levels of competition, A,AA,AAA, and Majors. The better your team record, the higher you go in the rankings. To become a Majors team, you have to have a pretty good group of dedicated, motivated, skilled kids. These kids play or practice about 9 months of the year. Not uncommon to practice 5 days /week, in the weeks leading up to the season.
  My daughter had two boys playing, it was not uncommon for her to be in Monroe, La. with one boy, while her husband, might be in Lake Charles, La. with the other. It requires dedicated parents, as well!

Baseball is very important in their area, the high school baseball coaches follow the local teams pretty carefully. These teams are almost like “farm teams” for the high school baseball program. Their local high school ( a 5 A school) does pretty good in the state playoffs most every year. The USSSA program, provides a stepping-stone for a lot of the high school players!

Very interesting!  Thank you for the information. 

I think we ran into some of these team playoffs last year near Medford Oregon in June. All the RV parks we normally use there were booked full due to baseball.  I was surprised.

I hope that everything that I gave you is accurate. Living 1700 miles away, I?m ?not? as involved nor informed, as I should be!
  To give an example how seriously this ?League? Baseball is taken down there: several communities have teams under the same name, covering all of the age ranges. One of these team names (all age groups), sponsored by a large business owner (carries his name), hired a coach (to work with all of his teams).....rumor has it, the coaches salary was in six (6) figures.  Very tuff for a kid to qualify for his teams, the parents?cough-up? a little more money than do the ?average? team parent....and they field some pretty good teams. Good....but not unbeatable!
  Also, failed to mention, it?s  so competitive, that often teams/coaches will try to ?recruit? kids from other teams. Parents have relocated to other areas, as there locale didn?t have a team or at least a competitive team! It?s pretty crazy, how serious it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom